PDA

View Full Version : hard to get into reverse in EG

Dr4g0n
25-11-2003, 12:41 AM
any of you guys have trouble getting into reverse sometimes?
mine refuses to get in sometimes or grinds when it goes in...if i go into 1st and then into reverse, it goes in alot better...or if i let the clutch in and out till it goes into reverse...

any ideas how to rid of this problem?

wynode
25-11-2003, 01:45 AM
I believe this happens because Reverse doesn't have synchros.

When you are going into reverse, always make sure that you are not moving. Then, disengage the clutch (foot on clutch pedal) put it into 4th then put it into reverse and should go in.

This works 8 out of 10 times. If it doesn't, then put it into first, let the clutch out (engage the clutch) so the car moves a bit, then try reverse again.

The whole process shouldn't take more than 5-8 seconds :)

Setanta
25-11-2003, 06:19 AM
It's been an ongoing problem with a lot of Hondas - I've had it with 1st gens through to 4th gens - worn shifter forks was what I've been told but wyn's workaround is a good one :)

euro77
25-11-2003, 07:10 AM
My Civic EK has the same problem as well :evil: :x

Chi
25-11-2003, 07:13 AM
Mine sorta grinds a bit when i go to reverse even when im not moving...

I too hafta move it to first then back to reverse for a smoother change....

I think its normal for hondas....

CRX_GOD
25-11-2003, 10:02 AM
yeh my CRX does it to, and my friends Civic Si. Pain in the arse sometimes :x

Weq
25-11-2003, 10:18 AM
yer getting into reverse without a grind can sometimes be a bit of a pain. Mind u, it can be caused by a faulty pressure plate according to my haynes manual. They say, once the car is fully warmed up, put the car into netural, let clutch out, clutch in, wait a second and then go into reverse. If u still get a grind it can be caused by the pressure plate.

That first->reverse text is also another way to tell the condition of the clutch. If u get gridning when doing it, it means pressure plate problems/clutch again.

poid
25-11-2003, 10:30 AM
happens all the time with my bro's lude, we just go 3rd-4th-reverse, takes all of half a second and works basically every time, with the exception below

sometimes even on my accord it wont go into reverse, just doesnt go in (but no grinding), thats just a simple clutch in and out fix and no worries.

XXpl0Sive
25-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Happens to me too.
I find that you can feel if it will grind when you slot it into reverse. If the stick goes in smoothly, then you know it'll be fine, if it goes in with some effort, then you know it's going to grind :)

Nuttz
25-11-2003, 07:42 PM
When it happened to me the first time I thought I was doing something wrong but my friend told me how to fix it.
I go from 2nd to reverse and it works every time...