PDA

View Full Version : Negative Caster

xclusive_eg8
20-02-2010, 09:40 AM
ok guys well a while back when I first got my car and my license I tryed drifting a corner in the civic and ended up hitting and climbing a square gutter at about 60kmh..this instantly bent the front drivers side rim and in the smash I also dented up the drivers fender..

Ok well recently I bought some nice 5zigen rims and upon trial fitment THEN noticed that my front drivers side wheel is pushed back compared to the other side...

This problem doesnt cause me any problem with controling the car.. But I have noticed a clunking sound when taking off from stand still and when braking hard....

I inspected the car today expecting to find a belt LCA but couldnt find nothing bent or odd...

Anyone got any ideas as to how to fix this?? And before anyone says take it to a shop - I am currently unemployed with no income at all and really dont want to make someone else rich at the current moment..

Also looking at the pics, does my CV joints look like there leaking ALOT?? What can i do about this??

Thanks in advance to who ever wants to help, I can take more pics and tweak with things if need be.. Just really hate the way it looks..

accidently deleated the pics, but refer to

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1022336

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1022337

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1022338

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1022339

EK1.6LCIV
20-02-2010, 11:30 AM
youre car is handling bad due to a busted steering boot, I would suspect that youre rackend on that side is catus as well, I would bet if you jacked it up on stands and felt for play it would have heaps on that side.

You'll be up for a fair bit to fix them, mine needed repairs as both my boots were broke in the same spot, not as neglected as that but getting there and my rack ends had significant wear

round $640 (this is a dealership price) to fix that problem if its the boots and rack ends alone and the tie rods are fine with a front wheel alignment

is the other sides' boot in the same condition or getting there?

egSi
20-02-2010, 12:16 PM
a busted boot does NOT make ur car handle any different. all it does it stop dirt and shit getting into the rack pivot point.

Your caster is hella ****ed man. id jack the car up, remove the wheels and look at both sides and see whats bent or not the same as the other side. Replace the bent part. It could be the LCA or something like that. The LCAs are quite solid so it maybe just is a ****ed bush or something like that, that holds the LCA onto the car. It would be easy if it was only a bush. There is a large bush that is basically behind the whole assembly, you could of just detroyed that and/or bent the bracket which holds it on.

dont worry bout ur steering rack boots man, they are secondary to your ****ed caster. They cost like $8.

btw here is a diy to fix your boots:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102708&highlight=steering+boot

You can always get spare LCAs etc from the wreckers. Dont pay some douche waffle to fix this, you can do it :thumbsup:

And lastly, i hope you learnt your lesson for driving like a dick on the road. It gets yours shit ****ed up :thumbdwn:

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

EK1.6LCIV
20-02-2010, 12:29 PM
his rackend on that side is buggered, and it does cause alignment faults as the joint will most certainly be worn away

preparing for the worse car scenario and being realistic

egSi
20-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Rack could be stuffed yeah, just get a new one from the wrecker. :thumbsup:

Id be hopinng it was only a LCA. Way cheaper and easier to fix. Boots still have nothing to do with it lol ;)

Thread starter needs to check his shit out asap :thumbsup:

EK1.6LCIV
20-02-2010, 12:41 PM
stuff buying rackends at the wreckers in qld when the whole kit is on ebay for a reasonable price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STEERING-PARTS-HONDA-CIVIC-92-95-BALL-JOINT-RACK-ENDS_W0QQitemZ290380256964QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439c0316c4

how much is your insurance premium if you have full comp, fixing all of that mess is looking expensive

string
20-02-2010, 01:13 PM
EK1.6LCIV:

1) The steering rack and tie rods, and especially the boots, all have NOTHING to do with your wheel being smashed backwards. Something is bent: e.g. the upright, the lower control arm.
2) OEM Honda lower ball joints are around $60 USD EACH! This ebay kit is $60 for two lower ball joints, and all four tie-rods. Would you use this kit on your car? How about a family member's car?

You don't save money on cheap parts when you replace them 5 times as often.

EK1.6LCIV
20-02-2010, 01:22 PM
they've lasted many US members for a long time during different periods of ownership

they record good alignment and fit very well

I would not use them as I have a good relationship with a few US Honda suppliers but if you're on a budget, such as the topic starter is, then there is no excuse

I didn't comment on the lca, but judging by the damage, a repair such as that will not be an easy fix...

no need to get an attitude on the internet, I'm just stating what I see in the photo

best option is to get a quote at a panel beater, as that is very serious damage you have there bud

bennjamin
20-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Op , have you gotten the caster measured ? It can be done during the alignment process

xclusive_eg8
21-02-2010, 02:44 AM
yeah thinking about taking car down to local bridgestone for wheel alignment on monday..think they will actually tell me what is wrong or should I go to mechanics??

Everything under the car looks fine and the damage is to drivers front only, though the steering rack is leaking a fluid, looks like powerstearing fluid, but levels in fluid reserve have not dropped...

Really want to get this fixed as a DIY due to having time on my hands, but its becoming a pain to actually find what is wrong lol