PDA

View Full Version : Accord V6 and security rating.

MikeCl
20-02-2010, 12:12 PM
It has puzzled me for some time as to why the Accord is rated as average in security.

I am looking for others owners of these cars to try a simple test (mine is an 04 Luxury model).

Wind the driver side window down and lock the car with the remote. The alarm and immobiliser system indicator should flash to show the system is armed. There appears no sensor for window close detection with respect to the alarm system.

Now if you reach in and lift the boot release or bonnet release the alarm should sound. Pressing the remote should stop the alarm and unlock the car. – All ok so far.

Lock the car again which of course rearms the system.

Now raise the door lock plunger. In my car the indicator lights flash, the door unlocks and the alarm and immobiliser system is disabled. Just like pressing the unlock button on the remote.

This of course is a major security flaw – So do I have a fault or is this normal. I can see no other reason for this system to have a low to average rating in car tests, is this behaviour the reason?

And please, no lectures on how Jo average can take you car even with a good alarm system. This is not of any interest in relation to the operation of this system.

[ IV 23 VI ]
21-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I guess so, I used to own the same car, but I never tried it, Such a expensive car for its time and the alarm system deactivates itself when the door pin is unlocked thinking there is a passenger in the car, The car should beep a alarm to let the owner know that a window is open when the alarm is activated by the key fob, like Toyota's do, Im guessing the Euro will have the exact same flaw..

I realized Honda's are over rated and have many problems with them.

MikeCl
21-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the reply; it appears this is not as bad as I first thought. I disconnected the horns and plugged in a small beeper, makes it a lot easier to test without going deaf.

The time delay for the driver door appears to be longer than the other triggers. I had initially waited the required 15 seconds before pulling the latch, but I found that I have to wait almost 30 seconds for the driver door – really strange. Doing so immediately sets the alarm if the driver door is opened with the door lock knob.

Having found this works correctly (after 30 seconds), I now wonder why this system has an average rating? To start the car without the transponder key would require the correct data unlock code stream to be fed to the ECU. So intercepting the remote control code will gain you entry but will not allow the car to start without this separate ECU unlock code. Ah well, the mysteries of life.

Definitely NO sensor wired into the alarm for the position of the windows on this model, so you can lock and walk away with windows down, however as above the alarm will go if off for 20 seconds if a door is opened.

Found a two way alarm unit (at bargain price) that notifies you of a disturbance to the car, it has a clamed working range of up to 5km, I will fit it when it arrives for a bit more peace of mind.

aaronng
21-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Lock the car again which of course rearms the system.

Now raise the door lock plunger. In my car the indicator lights flash, the door unlocks and the alarm and immobiliser system is disabled. Just like pressing the unlock button on the remote.

This of course is a major security flaw – So do I have a fault or is this normal. I can see no other reason for this system to have a low to average rating in car tests, is this behaviour the reason?

You need to wait about 30 seconds or so before the alarm arms. It is a "feature" in case you try to lock someone in the car and they unlock the door manually. :)

aaronng
21-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Having found this works correctly (after 30 seconds), I now wonder why this system has an average rating?

Because it doesn't have a glass breakage, shock and movement sensor. Plus, the car doesn't have Datadots.

MikeCl
21-02-2010, 04:05 PM
You need to wait about 30 seconds or so before the alarm arms. It is a "feature" in case you try to lock someone in the car and they unlock the door manually. :)

Thanks for reply, As you can see above I found this out, however the handbook says 15 seconds and the hood and boot did alarm after 15 seconds, that’s what threw me with the driver door, anyway wait a bit longer and it works.

Because it doesn't have a glass breakage, shock and movement sensor. Plus, the car doesn't have Datadots.

Yes that makes sense, the remote alarm I am fitting to supplement the existing system has glass breaking and movement sensors so I should have it covered, except for the professionals, lots of newer and more expensive cars for them to steal first I hope. Also have a friend who etches VIN numbers into the glass, getting that for free.