PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Fitting M3 Mirrors

mugeneration
06-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Ok, this isnt exactly very complicated. You will need:
- Your new M3 Mirrors
- The correct base plate
- Electrical tape
- Wire (any guage, though fairly thick is a good idea)
- Wire strippers
- Foam
- Soldering iron with solder

1. remove the interior mirror cover. This just pulls out, though may take a bit of encouragement to remove. Once this has been done you can see the clip which supplies the electric mirrors with power. Detach this, then unscrew the mirror (holding the mirror as you do, as these three bolts are all that holds the mirror onto your car).

2. cut out the foam into the shape of where the bolts go (a triangle - obviously) and make the holes for the bolts. (this foam will stop annoying whistling and water from entering your car.

3. attach your mirrors to the base plates. feed the wires through the foam and screw on. That was simple wasnt it? here's the boring part.

4. snip off the plug on the end of the power cables (painful but must be done). From here on its pretty much guess and checking to see what each wire does ( i tried using a current tester and playing with the controls, but this proved useless). I dont know wether or not it was due to the kind of mirrors i used, but i ended up with a lot of spare wires from both the mirror and the power source. Mirrors still work fine though so i sealed em off and tucked em away.

5. tap into your side indicators and lead the wires through into your door and up into the window to your mirrors and connect to the indicators there.

6. tuck away all wiring and replace the interior mirror cover and you're done!