PDA

View Full Version : Flat battery jump-started

SiR
20-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey fellas,

Got a question re: car batteries.

Long story short, the car battery went flat because I hadn't driven it much over the last 2-3 months. The battery is quite new - only 8-9 months old.

Anyway I jump started the car, took it for a spin for about 20 minutes and it seems fine now i.e. I switched off the engine and let it sit there for about 30 minutes before firing her up again - had no problems starting.

Now my question is this: do I still need to replace the battery?

It's new (8-9 months old) and the car seems to start fine now - I'll try again in the morning to make sure everything's still ok. If it isn't absolutely necessary to replace battery, then obviously I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks but if there's a chance it'll go flat again with me stranded in the middle of nowhere at the time, then I'd rather get it done.

Opinions and advice appreciated.

CB7_OWNER
20-02-2010, 10:28 PM
No need to replace the battery..

All you did to the battery was basically do a discharge, which is fine. As long as the battery is charging via the alternator it should be okay

Are you able to top up the battery? look for knobs for you to refill water in?? Check that.. distilled water better =)

Otherwise the battery should be in normal working order.

If you dont use the car for a while, you should disconnect the battery.. as leaving it connected can slowly drain the battery.

SiR
21-02-2010, 12:17 AM
IIRC, there are no knobs on the battery for refilling. :confused: Is there anything else I can do?

Yeah, I'll definitely be disconnecting the battery in the future if I know I won't be around to drive the car.

DLO01
21-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Your battery sounds fine, no need to get a new one. By it sitting around, it will loose charge over time. However now if you keep starting it and turning it off you'll just drain it again. You'd really need to take it for a good run to fully charge it.

NightKids
21-02-2010, 03:16 AM
What they said but if you insist on buying a new battery then get Supercharge Gold. Next time if you leave it for a long time without driving then disconnect the negative plug to your battery.

aaronng
21-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Just drive it more often until it is recharged back to full. Might take a week or so of driving depending on how far you drive each day.

grifty
21-02-2010, 08:39 AM
borrow a battery charger off a mate and charge your battery to full, you should have no problems then.

SiR
21-02-2010, 12:39 PM
What they said but if you insist on buying a new battery then get Supercharge Gold. Next time if you leave it for a long time without driving then disconnect the negative plug to your battery.

Already using Supercharge Gold.

But yeah, disconnecting the battery prior to leaving it sitting there for a month is something I'll need to do for next time.

Thanks for the advice fellas.