PDA

View Full Version : how to lower the height of the car without sacrificing the comfort?

INA
21-02-2010, 02:33 AM
guys, i'm still noob, sorry for this silly question, however, do you guys know how to lower the car without reducing the comfort? i'm currently using 18" rims, i'm just trying to make a simple look .

thanks!!:)

MrHeeltoe
21-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Depends on the height really...how low? How much gap from the fender to the tire do you want?

tony1234
21-02-2010, 09:30 AM
guys, i'm still noob, sorry for this silly question, however, do you guys know how to lower the car without reducing the comfort? i'm currently using 18" rims, i'm just trying to make a simple look .

thanks!!:)
Eibach or H&R springs.Approx.35mm drop.I have Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks,perfect combo.Firm but compliant ride:thumbsup:

[ IV 23 VI ]
21-02-2010, 09:38 AM
for 35mm its not worth lowering.

save your money and leave it standard, as you will save your ride comfort and a shit load of money,

Eibach springs and bilstein shocks would have costed a fortune for such minimal difference.

tony1234
21-02-2010, 10:05 AM
;2662935']for 35mm its not worth lowering.

save your money and leave it standard, as you will save your ride comfort and a shit load of money,

Eibach springs and bilstein shocks would have costed a fortune for such minimal difference.
It's all in the handling.This setup transforms the car.Ride and handling is improved dramatically the 35mm drop gets rid of that 4 wheel drive look that most cars have while still being practical for day to day driving.

INA
21-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Depends on the height really...how low? How much gap from the fender to the tire do you want?

mm, i think it's about 0.5" between fender and tire? what do you guys think?
i just want it to be simple.. :cool:

mm, how much will the eibach or H&R spring cost me? and it is worth it? is there any other suggestion rather than using the stocks????

thanks for the reply guys, i appreciate it!!!

[ IV 23 VI ]
21-02-2010, 12:36 PM

mm, how much will the eibach or H&R spring cost me? and it is worth it? is there any other suggestion rather than using the stocks????

Read what Tony1234 is running

INA
21-02-2010, 01:17 PM
ok, but how if i only change the springs but not the shocks? will i reduce the car's comfort?

tony1234
21-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Approx.$500 plus install.You can use your stock shocks on these.

INA
22-02-2010, 12:55 PM
ok, do you know where can i get these springs in melb? thanks a lot! i show u the pic when i'm done!:)

tony1234
22-02-2010, 03:00 PM
ok, but how if i only change the springs but not the shocks? will i reduce the car's comfort?
I don't think it'll change it much.but then i've changed shocks and springs so i'm not the best one to ask.

tony1234
22-02-2010, 03:03 PM
ok, do you know where can i get these springs in melb? thanks a lot! i show u the pic when i'm done!:)
Here!http://www.eibach.com.au/eibach_partners.html

aaronng
22-02-2010, 03:43 PM
The damping effect will be lost, so your car will feel like it was very bouncy. Plus you end up with blown shocks in a year or so. Recommend to replace the shocks with suitable ones for the height you are lowering.

INA
23-02-2010, 12:52 AM
interesting,, so in order to keep the comfort, i should change the shocks as well? mm, what shocks do you guys recommend??

MWAKU
23-02-2010, 12:55 AM
koni yellows are a good combo with eibach, and u can hieght adjust em by 5 perks, 2 lowering perks, which means u get an extra 1~ inch more :P

aaronng
23-02-2010, 09:43 AM
koni yellows are a good combo with eibach, and u can hieght adjust em by 5 perks, 2 lowering perks, which means u get an extra 1~ inch more :P

I found Koni Yellows to be stiffer and slightly more uncomfortable than Bilsteins on the Euro.

MICK_C
23-02-2010, 11:13 AM
coil overs - either BC or K sports.

MWAKU
23-02-2010, 11:38 AM
oh ok, I've never used koni yellows before, just going on from what other people told me. i bought a set of em, but straight away sold em to get coilovers :D. get coilovers :D

aaronng
23-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Any coilover is uncomfortable compared to an Eibach/Bilstein or Eibach/Koni Yellow set up.

Lochstar_69
23-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Any coilover is uncomfortable compared to an Eibach/Bilstein or Eibach/Koni Yellow set up.

Approx what do u think the max drop u can get with one of these combos?

tony1234
23-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Approx what do u think the max drop u can get with one of these combos?
Approx.35mm with the pro kit.Sportline gives you approx.50+mm drop.too low for the Euro IMO.

ORLANDO
18-11-2010, 05:57 PM
The damping effect will be lost, so your car will feel like it was very bouncy. Plus you end up with blown shocks in a year or so. Recommend to replace the shocks with suitable ones for the height you are lowering.

True that, I have eibach pro kit with stock shocks n between the bounciness over speed humps n bumps, and also positive rake causing front tyres to wear, its killin me.....I think i will put koni yellows on now

DR1V3R
19-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Agreed!!! With a coilover u can drop the ride height as much as u want and still have full spring travel if u have adjustable spring and droop adjustment!!! Its the only way IMO to have a low car with standard ride! If u run the BC coilovers u can adjust the damper to super soft as i have done and it rides pretty much as a standard car but is on the floor. U want to keep the spring under preasure and not change the travel of the shock and spring. By shortening the strut to drop the car u retain full travel! Changing to Koni with an Eibach spring is good for handling and what not but if all your after is slammage and retaining stock ride then coilover for win!!!

richard_k
19-11-2010, 05:59 PM
BuddyClub N+ Coilovers! mine should be arriving next week :P

btw how much should i drop my car on them? plan to get 18's

DR1V3R
19-11-2010, 06:42 PM
as low as u can go!!!!! hahaha i dropped mine roughly 75mm but i tucked my 19s in the gaurd, depends what your after, looks or handling

richard_k
19-11-2010, 06:54 PM
haha well i was thinking 19's but want handling so 18's are the go i think. so 35-40mm?

elitee
19-11-2010, 08:23 PM
BuddyClub N+ Coilovers! mine should be arriving next week :P

btw how much should i drop my car on them? plan to get 18's

as low as u can go :D

tonymulia
23-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Does anyone know if accord euro cu2 coilover is the same with the current accord model?
How much are we looking to spend for buddy club coilover for cu2?
Thank you

CU2CU2
24-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Tein SS, comfort for street use

white_ep3_civic
25-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Tein SS r a comfortable coilover but if you what looks go for Buddyclub. The Tein SS dont go low enough in the back.

8700s14
25-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Going back to the topic of stock shocks with aftermarket springs, I have been looking at getting a set of Tein (S something) lowering springs, they are supposed to lower the car 1.4" in the rear and 1.7" in the front (approx. 36/44mm respectively). What are the forseable adverse effects I will encounter as far as things like excessive tyre wear, shortened shock absorber life, non correctable camber changes etc?

tony1234
25-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Going back to the topic of stock shocks with aftermarket springs, I have been looking at getting a set of Tein (S something) lowering springs, they are supposed to lower the car 1.4" in the rear and 1.7" in the front (approx. 36/44mm respectively). What are the forseable adverse effects I will encounter as far as things like excessive tyre wear, shortened shock absorber life, non correctable camber changes etc?

You'll reduce the life of your shocks for sure.Depends on the age of the shocks,how you drive ,roads etc.You'll most likely need a rear camber kit as well.If you want to change springs only i'd go for Eibach or H&R springs.

white_ep3_civic
25-11-2010, 01:46 PM
The shocks will wear out much quicker. But it still takes a while. I had lowered springs in my previous car for 6 years and never had a problem with the standard shocks. You won't beable to change camber but 1.4/1.7" wont give you ridiculous bad camber wear. Even a 2" drop will still be fine.