PDA

View Full Version : losing coolant

VAT05
21-02-2010, 10:04 AM
hey guys,

just another noob question.

i havent been driving my car too much lately as i got a company car.

the last time i drove it was a week or 2 ago to the coast and i notice that some coolant was leeking through one of the hoses that goes from the rocket cover to the air intake. it actually made abit of a mess (will upload pictures later on)

i then checked it early this week and saw that it was missing a fair bit of coolant. i went and bought some genuine honda coolant and filled it up on friday.

i then noticed it was missing a little bit yesterday, so i did some research here and on other forums. took it for a drive, didnt see any white smoke blow out when i started the car or when i gave it abit. i came back and parked it on a flat surface on top of a cardboard box.

checked this morning, nothing leeking, but a fair bit of coolant was missing from when i last checked it.

any suggestions?

99 em1, manual, headers, CAI, 116 xxx kms

thanks

markgonzales3
21-02-2010, 10:13 AM
do a radiator coolant pressure test, to see if there are any damaged hoses, and to see if it holds the pressure. take it to your mechanic, they should have the tool, unless you do lol.

vtecster
21-02-2010, 11:39 AM
i had a similiar prob in my eg.. maybe blocked radiator.. or faulty thermostat.. causes the car to overheat and will evapourate the coolant while car is cooling down.. i changed my radiator and thermostat and is all fine now.. get it checked out

vtecster
21-02-2010, 11:40 AM
also culd just be hoses as stated do a pressure test.. n just check radiator cap might be gone

markgonzales3
21-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I had problems with my EG, losing coolant. I had a little rip in one of my hoses. We did a pressure test and it wasn't holding pressure, the coolant just squirted out from the damaged hose. So we replaced it.

I had another coolant problem with my EG. Losing coolant. Diagnosed that i have a blown head gasket. Coolant was getting lost through the overflow. coolant in the oil, oil in coolant.. water in spark plugs.. I still have this problem. i'm waiting to do a engine conversion.

Everyday i top up water. pretty crap aye

VTec1987
21-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I had problems with my EG, losing coolant. I had a little rip in one of my hoses. We did a pressure test and it wasn't holding pressure, the coolant just squirted out from the damaged hose. So we replaced it.

I had another coolant problem with my EG. Losing coolant. Diagnosed that i have a blown head gasket. Coolant was getting lost through the overflow. coolant in the oil, oil in coolant.. water in spark plugs.. I still have this problem. i'm waiting to do a engine conversion.

Everyday i top up water. pretty crap aye

damn man, oil and coolant mixing, im suprise that the car doesn't over heat right away

teh_mechanic
21-02-2010, 06:56 PM
options are:
1: you lost coolant from that hose, topped it up, air bubble got trapped in the cooling system. air bubble had worked its way out the next day and you checked your coolant, which would look low, but really it hadnt lost anything and it was just the air bubble. this is quite common. recheck that its full after you have driven it again next time.

2: you actually have a leak somewhere, in which case you should be able to see it if you get someone with a pressure tester to test it.

3: its overheating slightly from a blocked radiator or thermostat etc or your radiator cap is letting coolant escape.

4: Head gasket has blown and you are losing coolant into combustion chamber

tOniies
21-02-2010, 07:23 PM
when you car is warmed up, does it have a unusual smell, around the engine bay? A bit like burning rubber? If its that, then i'm guessing its a leak in the radiator. Happened to my one, had a brand new one put in for under 400. Take it to a mechanics and get it checked. Also tell them to have a compression test at the same time, to check if its leaking into the head.

VAT05
23-02-2010, 09:52 AM
checked the oil and no coolant in there.
will take it some time this week to mechanic and will let you guys know how i go.

it hasnt lost anymore coolant.

DC2-PWR
23-02-2010, 09:56 AM
checked the oil and no cooland in there.

check for coolant not cooland:p,

My other car was loosing coolant too, and the radiator shop did a pressure test for me for free!! And it was a leaking hose,

so the probability is a leaking hose hopefully :)

VAT05
23-02-2010, 10:27 AM
check for coolant not cooland:p,

My other car was loosing coolant too, and the radiator shop did a pressure test for me for free!! And it was a leaking hose,

so the probability is a leaking hose hopefully :)

haha thanks mate edited

hopefully its just that