PDA

View Full Version : Ways to improve emissions and AFR controller q

Dxs
25-11-2003, 12:50 AM
hey guys, just curious on what upgrades can be performed to improve emissions.. as in reduce pollution?

Also does a AFR controller improve emissions/reduce pollution?
I read that it makes emissions worse. But i thought if you tune you engine so it doesnt run rich then that would improve emissions/lower pollution.
Although i dont know much about this topic.

So yeah, post away guys. 8)

also please post in regards to Turbo situations as well as NA situations.

thanks,
-Dxs

poid
25-11-2003, 08:57 AM
The way to have lowest emissions is to have your engine burning fuel as efficiently as possible (ie a good tune, not running rich nor lean).

An AFC could improve emissions if you are having trouble in certain ranges, though usually the way they are tweaked is quite imprecise.

Dxs
25-11-2003, 03:41 PM
imprecise?
how do you mean..

like a lot of turbo cars run rich at certain points (like u see black smoke)
so would making it run leaner at that point improve emissions?

also do better cats improve emissions.. like are high flow cats worse for the enviroment (are they less efficient?)?

BLKCRX
25-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Sadly tuning points on any car is very hard unless you have the correct ECU that has great tune ability. The biggest problem with AFCS is they are only rpm dependent

You need to tune for different throttle positions and engine load (map) The reason lots of modified car’s puff black smoke is yes because there running rich, its also to do with where you make the most power. Lambda 1 is considered air fuel 14.7 you will produce fewer emissions, but not necessarily have the max power. On Turbo NA car’s lambda .85 - .92 under heavy load produces a nice power band, but will produce more emissions, its getting a balance of both that experts do when dyno tuning a car. A car can only be tuned as good as the equipment used and as good as the tuner.

Regards James

Dxs
25-11-2003, 07:03 PM
so basically,
using a AFR controller that is tuned half decently should reduce emissions/pollution?

BLKCRX
25-11-2003, 07:28 PM
depended on the stock ecu... on a Honda engine.. it wil auto learn after time...
plus changing air fuel without changing ignition is a big no no.. so yeah hmm i would never recommended afc devices !!! stay away from em.. !

Regards James