PDA

View Full Version : Simple Checks and cleaning on engine parts

xclusive_eg8
21-02-2010, 05:31 PM
OK guys I have a EG8 With a D15B7 and I want to do simple Checks/cleans of parts.. Things similar to http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4693&highlight=iacv ...

Do you guys have any other recommendations?? Currently unemployed so yep, why not use the time to get car running better.

riruiz_88
21-02-2010, 06:27 PM
if your bored, maybe paint your rocker cover and do a valve clearance while your at it. from memory rocker cover paint is less than $15 for 1 can.

xclusive_eg8
21-02-2010, 06:30 PM
if your bored, maybe paint your rocker cover and do a valve clearance while your at it. from memory rocker cover paint is less than $15 for 1 can.

is there a DIY for valve clearance?? to be honest I HAVE NEVER tweaked with head internals ever..But if its not hard - miminal chance of something going wrong then yeah I dont mind playing around with it

riruiz_88
21-02-2010, 07:31 PM
neither had i man, but i did do it my self and it pretty simple if your have the right gear. you need a feeler gauge and the specs for your engine. if your keen i can help you out one week end.

xclusive_eg8
21-02-2010, 08:11 PM
what is a feeler guage?? never ever heard of it ey, but after doing this did you notice any changes??

riruiz_88
22-02-2010, 08:14 AM
a feeler gauge is this:
http://www.fine-tools.com/s309613a.jpg

it is used to check clearance for certain jobs, each tab has a different thickness.
the only difference i noticed is the "tap, tap" noise was gone, the tell tale sign of the tappets being out of spec.

TheSaint
22-02-2010, 08:47 AM
i have an EG8 D15b7 as well ... check out my thread if you are bored

heres a short list
- check all fluids
- replace all fluids and disposables with OEM
- cable tuck engine bay
- replace earth cables with thicker gauge wire
- clean engine bay and bonnet underside (degreeser, wd40, water)
- paint exhaust manifold sheild (i just cleaned mine with degreeser than wet sanded it than painted it with matt black engine enamel spray pack - 3 coats) replace the bolts as well
- remove air intake resonator from driver side front fender
- use a paint brush and some mothers protectant to clean all the dust and grit out of the cracks n gaps in ur interior
- replace ur parker lights and rear number plate lights with SMD's
- install NGK spark plugs
- clean the contacts in ur dizzy
- flush down the radiator and replace with OEM coolant solution

theres probably a whole lot more i cant think of right now ... if i think of other stuff i do i will let you know

im going to do my tappet adjustment when i put in my D16a6 cam =)

xclusive_eg8
22-02-2010, 12:26 PM
thanks guys..keep the comments coming

xclusive_eg8
23-02-2010, 08:24 PM
anything else??

beeza
23-02-2010, 08:37 PM
*Reposting an old post*

" If you want to get your engine up and running good cheap then you can do this yourself (Note: 3 years ago I knew nothing about cars):

This is just dealing with the running of your engine,not suspension.

- Use Subaru Upper engine cleaner every 2nd/3rd oil change
- Collaborate voltage on TPS sensor on the throttle body
- Clean/replace spark plugs and set gap correctly
- Check resistance in your leads is fine
- Clean contact points in the dizzy and lightly sand the rotor on the outer edge where it sparks on the contact points
- Adjust the Tappets - VERY IMPORTANT!
- Clean air filter OR replace with pod filter and good cold air piping/Cold air intake.The point is COLD AIR/air from outside the engine bay (Make sure you re-connect the IAT sensor on the new intake arm)
- Get a wheel/camber/toe alignment and check your tyre pressure is correct once a week
- Change the oil and oil filter (every 5000km's)
- Change the fuel filter every 2nd oil change
- Transmission oil is every 20,000km's
- Charge your battery to full
- Expell air in coolant system through the radiator
- Check for engine codes and get familiar with how to do it!
- And get used to doing regular checks of everything in the engine bay,I have found many problems like this! - Like bolts I forgot to do up!
- And check for air leaks everywhere,all the clamps on the intake,all the gaskets on the engine and all the gaskets on the exhaust system! Important! No use having the whole thing running 100% if it's just gonna lose it somewhere.
- Make your car as light as possible
- Use BP Ultimate 98 fuel only (1/2 a tank max at a time if your keen)
- Just a small amount of windshield water too!
_ Also for $40 an injector (well worth it) you can get the spray pattern and flow rate adjusted correctly
- Also look into advancing the timing 2-3 degrees.
- Insulate your fuel lines - prevent the fuel from getting warm/hot

Do all that and your car will feel much better,then see if your satified,if not,another engine/car is in order

I think everyone should 'work with what they got' and learn first.Then you will know where you want to go afterwards! "

TheSaint
23-02-2010, 09:27 PM
subaru upper engine cleaner is the business

but i dont agree with BP fuel ... i have found that my hondas have always run alot better on caltex

freind thats into rally uses shell 110 or something like that ... smells like peppermints haha

xclusive_eg8
25-02-2010, 09:20 PM
I use bp ultimate all the time and yes only half a tank at a time ;) car seems to struggle with full tank lol..but used to use caltex a while back, just thought BP was a bit truer octane??

who makes aftermarket injectors for a d series??

jks24
26-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I've always run v power, gotta try bp ultimate one day

xclusive_eg8
27-02-2010, 07:41 PM
yeah man give it a go, engine runs pretty good with it in

TheSaint
27-02-2010, 07:44 PM
both my Dc2 and my EG run like crap on BP ... it coughed and spluttered and was stubborn the whole tank i put in

i put caltex back in and it run fine again ... tried a few times at different locations and got the same results each time

my Dc2 B series ran the best on Caltex 95
my EG D series ran the best on Caltex 98

see what works i spose

xclusive_eg8
28-02-2010, 12:13 AM
wow okk running till total Empty next time and gona give some caltex 98 a try again....I only went to BP cause apparantly they got cleaner more real octane fuel...meh Il get shopper discount at caltex to :) massive saving of like $1

TheSaint
28-02-2010, 01:43 PM
lol depends where u get it from as well i spose ... i find that its better from the depot than the garage