PDA

View Full Version : Buying CIVIC CXi Hatch, Thoughts?

pieee
22-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums haven't really posted anything as of yet just been browsing here and there reading every little thing I can find that helped to be a factor in my choice for a car.

Well now it seems I've stumbled upon a great little CXi, immaculate engine, 190,xxxKMs on the clock, clean interior, Red in colour, which I have checked out previously and tested and plan on purchasing tomorrow(well today, its 1am), and I just wanted to know from all the CXi owners and other civic hatch owners thoughts on how these cars perform, the comfortability, and reliability and other things such as these.

So please post anything you think about these cars, be it good or bad.

Thanks everyone =D

I heart the SSS
22-02-2010, 12:28 AM
IMO pay the extra for a GLI if you can.

It has disk brakes, power options, etc.

Just better in the long run!

However realise at 200K you have to a major service on the CXI consisting of (if it hasn't already been done):

- All belts
- Tensioner bearing
- water pump
- plugs etc if they need doing.

If you pay a mech to do it you'll be looking at around 1,000$ +

IMO if you can find a GLI EK for 5/1000 dollars more with less ks, OR the major service done, it'll make sense to do that.

countonjohn
22-02-2010, 12:34 AM
I have a red cxi hatch as well. Great car as a daily. Not the fastest or most powerful car but a very fun and nimble car (with a few basic handling mods) to drive. Is alot more street friendly than my previous 180sx and alot less hassles. Basically any auto workshop will be able to service them as its not an import so Ive been able to cut down on maintenance costs by not sending it to the specialty workshop I used to for my 180. The D series engines also super reliable if regular services have been done. Ive heard some ppl go to the 500,000km mark with it. Only thing I might warn you is that red is not the best colour to maintain, especially the honda milano red colour, as it is notoriously known to turn pink if you keep it in the sun for too long. The pink is starting to show on my car which is a 2000 model. But I guess it comes down to the condition of the particular car you are looking at. Good luck!

pieee
22-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Yeah I understand that the major service will need to be done soon on that car but I've been shopping around for a good while now and I really cant find anything better than this CXi, It's up for 4G, so the extra 1G won't bother me too much a bit down the track.

I heart the SSS
22-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Make sure it's done just before 200,000, who knows when it will fail?

YBJLS4
22-02-2010, 01:24 AM
my thoughts exactly what of SSS.

imo save up more money and get a GLi. in the long run u dun wanna be buying shit for elec windows, rear brakes, this that. do it right the first time

pieee
22-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah well I bought the car today sorry but I really have no time to wait around for finding a better one because I start uni this week and the car is a necessity. I will be doing the timing belt sometime this week when i get a chance cause the car is on 195,xxx at the moment and I would also prefer to do it before the 200 mark because my prelude that I owned for a petty month and a half had the timing belt break on me and bend my valves thus moving me up in the world to a civic :D :D hehe

So I guess im going to turn into a regular on this forum, get used to seeing my blue dinosaur =D cheers for your thoughts guys maybe sometime at the end of the year a VTi will come along for me to grab up or do a conversion either way I'll be happpy

Thanks!

Boban
23-02-2010, 09:50 AM
i got a CXi as my daily too, nothing wrong with them.
I wasn't really looking for one but it popped up at the right place and at the right time (when i had the money :)). Nothing wrong with them. Only thing now is i can't stop buying sh!t for it and i have another civic in the garage tham i'm spending money on as well :(

As far as CXi vs Gli, the manual windows don't bother me too much, less stuff to break in my opinion, the drums in the rear pull up just fine, it's only my daily to and from work after all so it won't see any spirited driving, manual mirrors, since i'm the only one driving it i set it once and don't adjust them and neither does anyone else. Even in my sedan i pulled out the power mirror switch after i adjusted them and put in an engine start button :D

Ohh and welcome to the forum

pieee
23-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Haha thank you Boban, makes me feel alot better about my cxi :D not that I was getting sad about it or anything but better :D

m.o.d.aus
23-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Post up pics :D
What colour? etc
Getting a new car is always exciting!
(maybe not new but you know what i mean)

StrawberryFace
23-02-2010, 11:47 AM
you will soon catch the civic syndrome (which is you will start buying everything you can for it).

Perry
23-02-2010, 12:39 PM
What year model is the cxi?

pieee
24-02-2010, 01:46 AM
I've already caught it!! I have a list of random stuff to do it her already.

She's Red, and shes the 96 EK1 model.

Here are a few pics:
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6129/img00050201002221923.jpg
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4199/img00048201002221923.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2470/img00044201002221741.jpg
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/4866/img00022201002191644.jpg

Oscar of Markoz
24-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Looks exactly the same as mine. Except, mine is a 98 model. Its a great little runner.

pieee
25-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Just a question, How do I get permission to post in the Market Place and also make new threads, Is there an amount of time I need to wait or something like that?

Cheers.

jks24
25-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Just a question, How do I get permission to post in the Market Place and also make new threads, Is there an amount of time I need to wait or something like that?

Cheers.

Hey mate nice little car you got yourself :) I used to own a cxi, it was the ideal run around car. Used to get 500km+ out of a tank so that was a bonus :D they have a tough little reliable engine in them and with regular servicing etc should cause you no major problems.

Red is a very nice but requires constant maintenance as previously stated....hope you have a garage for her?

As to your question about posting in the markemplace take a look at this link:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60154

EK1.6LCIV
25-02-2010, 07:43 AM
check all steering components
check all cv boots for tears
check the rear trailing arm bushings
check the sump for oil leaking down it

ontop of the usual checks in the engine bay

red is not a fun colour to maintain, buy some good wax and do it monthly, cover it if it's outside if you don't have a garage

UkuleleGod
25-02-2010, 08:18 AM
nice looking car. Its looks identical to mine. The car isn't the fastest in the world, but it has more than enough nip for a daily, and it with simple mods can be made better :D

If you want a nice upgrade to the looks of the car, I would recommend the EK4 front lip. I am currently saving for a set of alloys for mine.

But I will warn you about the paint work, it will start to turn pink if you leave it out in the elements, and do not wash,wax/polish it often.

I have managed to hide the effects through polishing, but it some spots I am beginning to notice it turning pink.

here is mine that i use as a daily from uni/work/home

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/gothecow212/18834_292710106703_522176703_348854.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/gothecow212/PacMan26-1-1.jpg

pieee
25-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the info jks24 and EK1.6LCIV guess I just need to wait till I make somekind of useful post :P

Uke your car looks great, unfortunately my car has already started the turning over to pink before I got to nip her up to call my own, the rear wing with the brake light has basically faded along with some other small patches over the car, but I've bought some wash and wax and polish items that will hopefully help out, I'll be doing it today. As for that Ek4 lip I've actually been looking at a few and I'm just waiting for the right amount of cash flow to come in, when that does happen its the Ek4 lip and the GLi cluster with tacho, along with maybe some new shmexi wheels :D

UkuleleGod
25-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks mate!

I find that you can make the pink patches return to their redness, if you give them a good wax and polish. Your plans sound exactly the same as mine for the car. The GLi cluster is a straight swap, and there is a guide on here for swapping the odometers to keep your original Kms'.

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

pieee
25-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah i've read pretty much every single guide in this forum and i get pretty hands on with my cars this is my third car unfortunately within a year in a half, the prelude I had just before this had a broken timing belt so I had to part out the entire car to make some money back to be able to afford one of these babies xD

Im in the Hurstville area, how about you? And have you managed to find any GLi clusters around or even the CRV ones i hear that fit?

jks24
25-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah i've read pretty much every single guide in this forum and i get pretty hands on with my cars this is my third car unfortunately within a year in a half, the prelude I had just before this had a broken timing belt so I had to part out the entire car to make some money back to be able to afford one of these babies xD

Im in the Hurstville area, how about you? And have you managed to find any GLi clusters around or even the CRV ones i hear that fit?

Not sure about hrv ones however you could go with an ek4 one, em1 or even ek9 if you want to spend that much. Your engines redline will be lower than these clusters tho.

Pm sent

Boban
25-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm rocking a crv one in my cxi, the hrv look completely different

pieee
25-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Where did everyone read HRV? Lol i wrote CRV :S Anyway cheers jks24 I got in contact with the seller of the cluster :D

pieee
27-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey, Just updating the thread a bit to show the new lip I got installed just now:

Tell me what you guys think!

http://img24.imageshack.us/i/img00084201002271511.jpg/
http://img718.imageshack.us/i/img00085201002271512.jpg/
http://img443.imageshack.us/i/img00088201002271527.jpg/

jks24
27-02-2010, 02:49 PM
looks good you gonna paint it or not?

pieee
27-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I like the black with the side skirts, althought I would like to paint that black trim that goes around the middle of the car to colour code it.

mloo
09-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread. But @ OP, did your's come with air con ? I've just finished year 12 and I was looking for my first car, preferably a CXI with air-con, since it was a factory option, not all of them come with it.