PDA

View Full Version : liquid gasket replacement for o-rings?

vinnY
22-02-2010, 09:42 AM
so i have an o-ring that looks like this (http://6ixx.net/itb/DSC_0851.jpg), off one of the runners on a set of itb's

failing to find a directly replacement, can anyone recommend any liquid gasket stuff that will hold up as well as an o-ring?
i looked at what i had and found some loctite rtv blue but it says on the tube not to use where it will be immersed in fuel :(
went into a few stores and came out none the wiser

I heart the SSS
22-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Don't try to make a gasket out of that sealent shit dude, it'll fail badly!

Just try to find an o right that's the correct size.

grifty
22-02-2010, 11:40 AM
hit up clark rubber and see if they can help you?

vinnY
22-02-2010, 11:43 AM
yeah had a go at clark rubber, only seem to have super fat gaskets

aaronng
22-02-2010, 12:02 PM
so i have an o-ring that looks like this (http://6ixx.net/itb/DSC_0851.jpg), off one of the runners on a set of itb's

failing to find a directly replacement, can anyone recommend any liquid gasket stuff that will hold up as well as an o-ring?
i looked at what i had and found some loctite rtv blue but it says on the tube not to use where it will be immersed in fuel :(
went into a few stores and came out none the wiser

Go to a bearing shop. They have heaps of o-rings in weird sizes. This is the one I use to get odd-size o-rings is Advanced Bearing on Unit 1, 2 Forge Street in Blacktown. Here is their website: : http://www.advancebearings.com.au

Bring your ITB runner in with you so that they can find the correct size.

vinnY
22-02-2010, 12:10 PM
^ ooh didn't realise bearing shops had o-rings, would have thought you know.. they'd have bearings

there's an a.b.c. bearings down the road from where i work, might drop by in the morning
thanks for the suggestions aaron :)

ek4-guy
22-02-2010, 12:53 PM
also try any hydraulic or seal places we buy ours from A&B seals but they are up here in brissy

we would have this size at work as we have hundreds of different sizes

aaronng
22-02-2010, 12:57 PM
^ ooh didn't realise bearing shops had o-rings, would have thought you know.. they'd have bearings

there's an a.b.c. bearings down the road from where i work, might drop by in the morning
thanks for the suggestions aaron :)
No problem. Hopefully a.b.c bearings has what you need. Otherwise, make a trip out to Blacktown.

vinnY
22-02-2010, 01:10 PM
yep will hopefully post some good news tomorrow

in the mean time, time to rip them apart for the second time to clean off all the sealant and clean it :(

vinnY
23-02-2010, 01:10 PM
so as it turns out, a.b.c. bearings are long gone from south street in rydalmere(which is literally down the road where i work)

gonna hit up a couple more places on silverwater road tomorrow morning and see whether i have any luck

on another note though, between the throttle body and the adapter that bolts up to the block there is a metal gasket which is dry at the moment i.e. all metal contact
should i smear on a bit of rubber grease for good measure?
after seeing the o-ring i'm not too trusting of just the metal plate alone anymore..

vinnY
24-02-2010, 08:40 AM
good news, abc bearings had exactly what i wanted :)
unit 1, 24 vore street silverwater, NOT south street like yellow pages says

gonna reassemble today, hope it goes well :D

aaronng
24-02-2010, 09:08 AM
on another note though, between the throttle body and the adapter that bolts up to the block there is a metal gasket which is dry at the moment i.e. all metal contact
should i smear on a bit of rubber grease for good measure?
after seeing the o-ring i'm not too trusting of just the metal plate alone anymore..

Don't use rubber grease. Use gasket sealant like Permatex Ultra Blue. Hondabond is a bit strong and could ruin the gasket when you try to remove it the next time.

vinnY
24-02-2010, 09:14 AM
wouldn't that stuff just be eaten away by the fuel?

Chemical / Solvent Resistance
The product retains effective properties in contact with automotive fluids, such as motor oil, transmission fluids, alcohol and antifreeze solutions. Note: Not recommended for parts in contact with gasoline.

Limbo
24-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Vinny when u coming out to track now that your doing your ITBs?

vinnY
24-02-2010, 09:32 AM
hard parkin' here man, heh

aaronng
24-02-2010, 10:39 AM
wouldn't that stuff just be eaten away by the fuel?

Oh shit, you're right. Choose one that doesn't get eaten away by fuel.

Or test with just the metal gasket first to see if you have any vacuum leaks. If there are none, then don't use sealant.

vinnY
24-02-2010, 11:01 AM
yeah i just put on a thin amount of grease and put it back together
gonna assemble the rest of it with the new o-rings later today then figure out what i want to do about filtration, such a pain

dug around the sealant section, appears nothing likes to be immersed in fuel so hopefully the grease will seal it enough + the metal gasket

remember kids, with enough lubrication we can do anything ;)

Limbo
24-02-2010, 01:36 PM
filter, Uni filters make sock type filters for ITBs

vinnY
24-02-2010, 03:35 PM
yeah i heard sock's were bad for itb's though so at the moment they're sorta last resort next to running them open + mesh sheild