PDA

View Full Version : Resonators

beeza
22-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I'll be buying a 2.25" resonator and just wondered if there's much of a difference between them in terms of airflow.Anything I should be looking for when buying one?

Thanks guys.

Last time I had one fitted it was just what the exhaust shop choose and put in,I was unaware of them then :)

vinnY
22-02-2010, 01:35 PM
hot dog resonator? they're generally straight through and sorta tune the tone instead of making it quieter

if you want it quieter, you want a mid muffler type thing
of course this hampers flow though since it is another muffler on the system

beeza
22-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks Vin!

Sounds like it's a much of a muchness,nothing to bother about.

So I wouldn't be missing anything if I just get a resonator that's at the shop fitted?

Mugen Civic
22-02-2010, 02:21 PM
should be fine unless thay put a smaller diameter piping. Which i doubt.

I also want to add a question to this, does deleting the hot dog make the car exhaust tone higher or deeper?

beeza
22-02-2010, 02:38 PM
It makes it louder,annoyingly noisy from what I've gathered.

Limbo
22-02-2010, 05:46 PM
the thicker the external diameter of the resonator usually the better the muffling.
All have slight restriction. Just depends on the noise your looking for.

DLO01
22-02-2010, 06:29 PM
You can get 'perforated' resonators (just has holes in inner pipe) Flows better

or

'Louvoured' resonators (holes sorta potrude in to the inner pipe) restrict flow a bit more.

You can get 'spiraled' resonators, but pretty sure these only come in louvoured type.

SHU-ES1
22-02-2010, 10:10 PM
no resonator will make the exhaust more raspy, i used a 5" round magnaflow muffler straight through. great sound, no restrictions. the hotdog resonators don't do much in terms of making the exhaust quieter, especially the ones that have similar internal and external diameters. if you want it quieter, i'd suggest getting a 4-5" straight through muffler, or a smaller muffler with offset/centered inlet/outlet but you will restrict flow very slightly. depends on what note you're after mate. good luck beez!

beeza
23-02-2010, 03:49 PM
^^ Thank U!! :)

Thanks Dean,

This is my one,what one would this be.It's a magnaflow hi flow metal cat 2"

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF16472-1.jpg

Mugen Civic
24-02-2010, 12:01 AM
^^ Thank U!! :)

Thanks Dean,

This is my one,what one would this be.It's a magnaflow hi flow metal cat 2"

What do you mean 'what one would this be'?

YBJLS4
24-02-2010, 12:31 AM
i think there talking about diff types of reso, not cats lol.

but yeh neway.

The exhaust pipes in automobile exhaust systems are designed as acoustic resonators that work with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out". The "exhaust note" is an important feature for many vehicle owners, so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to enhance the sound. In 'tuned exhaust' systems designed for performance the resonance of the exhaust pipes is also used to 'pull' the combustion products out of the combustion chamber quicker.

DLO01
24-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Beeza. Your created this thread is about 'Resonators'. Your holding a 'Cat Converter' above. Lolz! Two different things. You scary boi!

Limbo
24-02-2010, 10:20 AM
LOL - breeze that cat is pretty good, i've got one on m car.

2 cats would make the car quieter LOL

beeza
25-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Beeza. Your created this thread is about 'Resonators'. Your holding a 'Cat Converter' above. Lolz! Two different things. You scary boi!

I'm just shaking my head laughing at myself LOL

Whoops! :p

OK,cool all good! HAHA

Ahaha nice one Limbo!! :)