PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Mechanical Questions.....

X-ray Spex
23-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Integra 93 DA9.....Shifting gears is not smooth at all.....Bit crunchy.....Clutch or gearbox issue? Or Both?

Still runs fine but I do not want to kill the car......

Knowing the previous owner personally, the car has been very badly mistreated over the years.....

Also I wanna get rid of the engine in the near future and was wondering what a good replacement would be......

Any help appreciated :)

burak213
23-02-2010, 03:18 PM
is it crunchy when cold or when it heats up? or is it always like that?

it could be a gearbox issue.

X-ray Spex
23-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I would say all the time....

slimx
23-02-2010, 03:35 PM
gearbox OIL renew it. if it doesnt do the trick its ya clutch.

Cause if its doing it in every gear.. cant be a gearbox .. thing .. a gearbox would neva fk up every gear at once lol

_bORdO_
23-02-2010, 09:24 PM
id say it would be a gear box issue, like worn synchros.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Synchromesh

try blipping the throttle a little to rev match the flywheel speed to rev speed and then pushing it into gear this should help reduce the crunching.

slimx
23-02-2010, 09:48 PM
worn snychro's would have worn out over time.. gear by gear.. for every gear to do it .. is very very unlikely

_bORdO_
23-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I dont disagree with you... i was just giving an example - it could be anything.

X-rey Specs didnt say every gear.

slimx
23-02-2010, 11:32 PM
mm yeh i guess

X-ray Spex
24-02-2010, 02:32 PM
In an odd turn of events I did nothing about it and now the gears are changing too smoothly.....???

_bORdO_
25-02-2010, 10:38 AM
ahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
problem solved.
still though, ask a trusted mechanic about it on your next service.

WuackR
25-02-2010, 02:40 PM
In an odd turn of events I did nothing about it and now the gears are changing too smoothly.....???
Maybe thats bcoz you started using the clutch ? hehe jks..

slimx
25-02-2010, 08:51 PM
lmao bro i dno but still get a check up man lol that aint normal

pure_na
25-02-2010, 08:59 PM
id say it would be a gear box issue, like worn synchros.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Synchromesh

try blipping the throttle a little to rev match the flywheel speed to rev speed and then pushing it into gear this should help reduce the crunching.

doing that will help.

i was just thinking though, do you reckon he could work out whether it's synchros or clutch from doing that? because i have had lots of arguments about whether gearbox problems are synchros or clutch with mates.

i was thinking, if it doesn't help, wouldn't that mean it's synchros because even when you rev match synchros are doing some work...i think...i know the clutch is doing very little when you rev match (makes changing without a clutch easy) but yeh, i'm more practical rather than theoretical so i'm not sure

pure_na
25-02-2010, 09:01 PM
also, i was thinking, if it's no longer a problem maybe it's the clutch. because when my clutch was wrecked, it would play up on and off, whereas i'm pretty sure if your synchros were wrecked it would play up non-stop.

_bORdO_
25-02-2010, 09:22 PM
doing that will help.

i was just thinking though, do you reckon he could work out whether it's synchros or clutch from doing that? because i have had lots of arguments about whether gearbox problems are synchros or clutch with mates.

i was thinking, if it doesn't help, wouldn't that mean it's synchros because even when you rev match synchros are doing some work...i think...i know the clutch is doing very little when you rev match (makes changing without a clutch easy) but yeh, i'm more practical rather than theoretical so i'm not sure

im pretty confident its a synchro related issue...

reason for this is:
synchros allow for smoother shifts because they are designed to match the speed of gearbox to the engine.

When your synchros start to die, you'll get grinding noises when attempting to selecting a certain gear, sometimes it feels almost impossible to shift into the gear. (especially when downshifting)

Now, the main reason why i think its a synchro related issue is bc:
If you are finding it difficult to select a gear you can preform a technique called double clutching which allows and helps your synchros catch up to speed... if your using a clutch technique to create less grind and smoother shifting i dont see how this could be a clutch related issue.

This is my opinion only, im no expert with transmissions.