PDA

View Full Version : D16a8

EDracer
24-02-2010, 11:25 AM
ok so here is the deal,

I have a D16a8 motor in my CRX, (see thread ":the little CRX that could for pics of car and motor) i want to rebuild it as i got it from Boss Wrecking and it appears to not be in good condition, it wont start, and when cleaning the block i found that the intake was full of fuel residue and figure it was not a good thing. anyone know any good workshops that are experienced with the D16a?
Im already talking to 999 automotive about it. got any idea where i can get good quality parts from? i have looked on "D-series.org" and they have some good info, but they are in the US and prices and places mean nothing here :( im looking at pistons, rods, cams, gears and a full engine rebuild with gaskets and seals while cleaning out the block and honing it. Like i said im talking to 999 about it, but wanted to know if anyone here has built a N/A D16 and what parts were used and rough cost/power output.

P.S I know the motor is old, i know the B16 has "Vtec YO", but i like the D16 and want to build it. so please dont say "just get a B16 put in it" thats not what i want to do.

all info is greatly appreciated guys.

~Sp33~
24-02-2010, 11:59 AM
www.thezcr.com

You're in a similar position to myself.

Bisimoto have an excellent reputation for cams /springs /retainers.

EDracer
24-02-2010, 01:40 PM
thanks, i looked there and they only have cams and gears for the D16A6? will these fit? i didnt think that they would. but in any case, they are completly sold out of them lol

dougie_504
24-02-2010, 01:47 PM
If you like the D16A8 for the DOHC non-VTEC characteristics you could upgrade to a B18B DOHC non-VTEC. That way you'd have a similar 'style' of engine without going down the typical B-series DOHC VTEC path.

Otherwise you could try Bisimoto or Skunk2 Racing. Both make good parts, but obviously it won't be cheap. If you want to build the motor you'll be putting in at least 4-6 times what the actual engine is worth, naturally.

Good luck with the build and please make a build thread for us :D

EDracer
24-02-2010, 02:41 PM
thanks for the info, will look at the skunk 2 stuff. has anyone seen anything on the Nippon stuff? i found allot of guys in the US using it with success on turbo builds and things. and i can just about rebuild my whole motor with their parts. any thoughts?

markismaximus
24-02-2010, 02:57 PM
it wasn't out of that red crx that is there now is it? I looked at that car and it appears to have had a hard life if it is, damn **** wrecking. take it back and say the motors stuffed

EDracer
24-02-2010, 04:08 PM
i think it was. he claims that it wasnt but in all honesty, he told me he tested it and the stupid thing didnt even have a Dizzy, so how he tested it i have no idea. but having said that, it was from a DelSlow i think because the intake, TB, engine mounts and harness was completly different. the block was the same, but i had to change the mount on the cam gear side to the one off my broke engine because it was different. so i dont know, i would not recomend anyone get motors from them

~Sp33~
24-02-2010, 05:28 PM
thanks, i looked there and they only have cams and gears for the D16A6? will these fit? i didnt think that they would. but in any case, they are completly sold out of them lol

http://bisimoto.net/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_9_129

Also:

http://www.tighecams.com.au/profiles/hondacs.htm

I think those guys are in Brisbane, might be worth calling them.

i think it was. he claims that it wasnt but in all honesty, he told me he tested it and the stupid thing didnt even have a Dizzy, so how he tested it i have no idea. but having said that, it was from a DelSlow i think because the intake, TB, engine mounts and harness was completly different. the block was the same, but i had to change the mount on the cam gear side to the one off my broke engine because it was different. so i dont know, i would not recomend anyone get motors from them

They have a pile of Honda parts not available to the public, i know that they had a EG si (d16a8) there last time i went, it's quite possible they used the distributor off of this to see if it ran fine.

Also you can't judge a motors health because you can't get it to start. Just sayin.

pat88c
24-02-2010, 10:33 PM
a eg si Dizzy D16a8 (obd1) wont work with a ed9 as it a Obdo ecu system
d16a8 dizzy are know to blow and Boss wreckers has likely sold it before selling you the engine

www.thezcr.com is good site full information you can spent hour on there reading up great use full information

with cam gears D16a6 don't work as they for SOHC d series , B series cam gear do work but have different Top Dead Center alignment conpair to D16a8(zc) there are ZC cam gear out got to search for them

if you want to new intake manifold you can get a sohc to dohc adaptor plate to a Skunk2 D series intake manifold
ZCspeed on thezc sell them from memory

And if you should replace the oil pump to protect rebuild motor from blowing up, you never know it will lose oil pressure once it back in car

if got a more question just snd me a Pm

i am too planing too to rebuild my D16a8 too , got a few bit already

talk later

Pat

~Sp33~
24-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I've got a spare obd0 dizzy if you need one to try. I think i remember you saying that you were using the obd0 dizzy off of your first engine anyway?

dougie_504
24-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I got a spare D16A8 dizzy, works fine

~Sp33~
24-02-2010, 11:22 PM
You're in melbourne :P

EDracer
25-02-2010, 09:35 AM
I've got a spare obd0 dizzy if you need one to try. I think i remember you saying that you were using the obd0 dizzy off of your first engine anyway?

thanks might have to take you up on that.

i have found a great site http://www.nipponpower.com/index.phtml, they have so much stuff for the D series, DOHC and SOHC. im thinking i might be able to rebuild the whole motor from them. i would love to know that you guys think about the gear and the prices

~Sp33~
25-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I just went through everything i wanted to rebuild my engine with, and i couldn't see anything available for the DOHC D series.

EDracer
25-02-2010, 02:08 PM
remember but the cam gears can be used from a B-series motor, just need to change the allignment marker one tooth. and allot of the other parts should be able to fit. like the ARP head studs, most of the metal head gaskets from the SOHC should fit too i would think. and the ACL race bearings too

~Sp33~
25-02-2010, 03:18 PM
remember but the cam gears can be used from a B-series motor, just need to change the allignment marker one tooth. and allot of the other parts should be able to fit. like the ARP head studs, most of the metal head gaskets from the SOHC should fit too i would think. and the ACL race bearings too

The head gasket wont work, the bolt pattern is different. From what i've read also the head studs from the a6 aren't going to work either:

http://www.thezcr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12430.

Looks like the a6 bearings will work though.

Are you still heading out tonight? I prob won't be there for long, i've got a dinner on after.

EDracer
26-02-2010, 08:29 AM
this is an email list i got from nippon Power in the us......

In the usa, we never had civic/crx with dohc non-vtec. I am not familiar with that D16A8 engine. Is it similar to a D16A1 or ZC?

Here is a list of parts for a D16A1, ZC. I cant guarantee fitment on a D16A8 but according to online references it is supposed to be the same.

$170.00 ARP HEAD STUDS
$850.00 CROWER RODS
$45.00 KING ROD BEARINGS
$55.00 KING MAIN BEARINGS
$89.00 COMETIC HEAD GASKET
$550.00 WISECO CUSTOM PISTONS

For international orders, we only accept payment by Paypal, Western Union or Bank Wire Transfer. Bank Wire Transfer is $30.00 extra. Sorry, no credit cards. If you can make this payment, then reply and let me know.

~Sp33~
26-02-2010, 10:20 AM
One of the head studs would have to be re drilled through the head gasket, and your water chambers wont line up 100% to a sohc head gasket. This says to me that they don't know their product well. (ZC and d16a1 head gaskets aren't interchangeable). The head studs themselves are also a different diameter.

Why not just buy a head gasket locally? You'll probably even be able to purchase head studs as well.

Just for reference:

SOHC:

http://img.overnightautoparts.com/live/A810038902ISH.JPG
DOHC:

http://69.0.158.19/live/A810028229ISH.JPG

EDracer
26-02-2010, 01:50 PM
well i think it is safe to say that i will not be getting anything from them. they obviously have no idea. he had never even heard of the D16a8 so not a good sign. looks like were going local.

~Sp33~
26-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I'll be going to autobarn in a few, i might see if they stock metal head gaskets, and ARP head studs.

Hooman
26-02-2010, 04:04 PM
when talking to the yanks you need to mention that our D16A8 is a DOHC ZC. They call our engines DOHC ZC.

~Sp33~
26-02-2010, 04:36 PM
when talking to the yanks you need to mention that our D16A8 is a DOHC ZC. They call our engines DOHC ZC.

this is an email list i got from nippon Power in the us......

In the usa, we never had civic/crx with dohc non-vtec.

I spoke to autobarn too, and they're getting in contact with a few suppliers to see if they can order parts.

Hooman
27-02-2010, 06:57 PM

I spoke to autobarn too, and they're getting in contact with a few suppliers to see if they can order parts.

They didn't get our engines in their cars stock but they import them from japan and put them in the CRX's all the time;)

~Sp33~
27-02-2010, 08:14 PM
They didn't get our engines in their cars stock but they import them from japan and put them in the CRX's all the time;)

Clearly, or they would've known what he was talking about.

SlobberGoat
04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Want new billet cams for your D16A8?
crespo (http://www.crespocams.com/servlet/Categories?category=Camshafts%3AHONDA%3A%3E%22D%22 +Series+DOHC)

miss_motorsport
04-03-2010, 06:42 PM
do you have a local engine machine shop? get in touch with them and see if they have a listing for VRS, Bearings etc..this will save you a great deal of time.

there is no point in buying pistons & Rings before you measure the bore ..