PDA

View Full Version : Type R'ing, without R'ing

Vestri
25-02-2010, 07:44 PM
G'day guys, I've recently test drove a new Type R (but they are soooo rare it took forever to get a demonstrator.)

And I'd like to know, the car doesnt feel like its doing anything low down in the rev counter....

Do you think its a smart move to get a Typr R just for the odd chance I take the car to a track every few months.... I mostly do a lot of driving along the canberra to sydney highways. Is the more stiff suspension, the need to rev the engine to experience what little power this car has compared to other rivals worth it?

I got a bomb of a car at the moment (an old lancer ES) so if I drive The civic without pushing it, feel like a normal car, until I decide to push it, or is it seriously unlpleasant to drive with the revs low down?

Just thought Id get some opinions before I decide to order one.

Philip Lee
25-02-2010, 08:02 PM
my suggestion is, test drive all the hot hatches (eg. XR5, GTI, WRX, 3MPS etc) for similar $$ and decide on the one you like.

burak213
25-02-2010, 08:04 PM
my suggestion is, test drive all the hot hatches (eg. XR5, GTI, WRX, 3MPS etc) for similar $$ and decide on the one you like.

this is your best bet here

TheSaint
25-02-2010, 08:27 PM
golf GTI and the new WRX are much better cars than the new type-r

unless ur a vtec nut than u will love the K20, i would prefer a Dc5S or an Ep3 than the new civicR tho

Antv
25-02-2010, 09:39 PM
i too would prefer ep3 over fn2...

CB7_OWNER
25-02-2010, 11:04 PM
mk5 gti, is such a great cruiser and city commuter.. boost kicks in at a lower 2k -ish.. dsg options cheaper now...

there are alot faster, and more refined cars for the price of the new civic type r.

Sherweeeny
28-02-2010, 08:12 PM
fd2 is good enough to punt around a track imo, and is tonnes more comfy on the day to day commute.

joey99
28-02-2010, 08:21 PM
If it's anything like the DC2R, I'd give it a miss if you're driving it all the time. It's tiring to drive and there's no torque down low at all. It's great at the track where you can rev the hell out of it but on city roads, it's just not possible. It's like a chore trying to even catch up to cars in traffic having to rev it so high to get anywhere. I had it for 2 weeks and swapped it for a WRX. Don't get me wrong .. the handling and chasis of the typeRs are just amazing. But off the track it's another matter. My previous car before the DC2R was a S15 .. so changing to a DC2R was just crap and I couldn't stand the tiny torque at low revs. The WRX also had really nice low down torque that you can feel without much effort. So in my opinion .. the typeRs are certainly great for some things but certainly not for city traffic driving .. but that's only my opinion after driving them myself in the dreadful Sydney traffic.

FallenAngel
03-03-2010, 09:34 AM
If it's anything like the DC2R, I'd give it a miss if you're driving it all the time. It's tiring to drive and there's no torque down low at all. It's great at the track where you can rev the hell out of it but on city roads, it's just not possible. It's like a chore trying to even catch up to cars in traffic having to rev it so high to get anywhere. I had it for 2 weeks and swapped it for a WRX. Don't get me wrong .. the handling and chasis of the typeRs are just amazing. But off the track it's another matter. My previous car before the DC2R was a S15 .. so changing to a DC2R was just crap and I couldn't stand the tiny torque at low revs. The WRX also had really nice low down torque that you can feel without much effort. So in my opinion .. the typeRs are certainly great for some things but certainly not for city traffic driving .. but that's only my opinion after driving them myself in the dreadful Sydney traffic.

Its nothing like a dc2r... its not raw, nor agile, everything is just covered up.

Yes the FN2R does have shit low end torque but thats all honda's if you haven't noticed already. Honda is more aimed towards the top end of the rev range unlike other manufacturers. Take a drive with the other cars as phil mentioned and decide for yourself. The torque isn't all that bad down low but others may as otherwise...

Philip Lee
03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
K20 has pretty good torque.

with my EP3, stock low end torque was fine. lost a little with only a CAI but gained quite a bit with a cat back.

obviously it's not as strong as a GTI (which i also have), but you move along fine in traffic without reving over 4000rpm. it even pulls fine from 30km/h in 3rd.

obviously EP3 is slightly diff to a FN2 but u get the picture.

VTECMACHINE
03-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I daily my DC2R and it does the job on the street and track...? How much power do you want/need for the street?
FN2R's are really nice dailys, but if you aren't in love with it... then it's not the right car for you. Go look at other cars like a Golf Gti or something.

ekdez
03-03-2010, 05:47 PM
also look at what holds their value!
hondas are always good at holding value as well as the golfs
also, which is cheaper to service and maintain..

burak213
03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
also look at what holds their value!
hondas are always good at holding value as well as the golfs
also, which is cheaper to service and maintain..

also

to insure
and petrol consumption