PDA

View Full Version : Spray black bonnet on white EG without sanding.

Biz
25-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, just bought a civic EG the other week, and i really want to spray paint the bonnet black. I have a friend who did it to his and he said sanding isnt necessary as long you clean the bonnet well enough (remove all the dust). Then just get 2 or 3 spray cans and you're on your way...

any info or tips guys?

MWAKU
25-02-2010, 09:34 PM
lol seriously it looks gay. if ur goin for that look, get a real cf bonnet.

i think just spraying the paint straight on top is going to give that shitty non gloss look. doesn't look nice bro. u have to take the paint off, primer, paint and some cut n polish to have a nice finish.

plus if u don't primer it, hows the paint going to stick properly? im assuming its going to fade/come off fast?

but at the end. don't do it. go for a clean look

Antv
25-02-2010, 09:43 PM
i look down on ricers

dougie_504
25-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah sand it off, primer so that the paint sticks properly, and give it a couple of coats. Then clear coat etc.

Personally I think it looks fine. I'd happy do it myself, and I reckon carbon fibre is bullshit since it's WAY too expensive and ILLEGAL!

The alternative is that you could get your bonnet covered in vinyl to protect the paint, whatever colour you want, or a carbon fibre look-alike pattern. Cheap :)

MWAKU
25-02-2010, 09:46 PM
lol no one likes a car thats gone for the cheap way out :P:P honeslty, Antv said it how it is LOL. carbon fibre is not bullshit ROFL

Biz
25-02-2010, 09:47 PM
ahh yeh probs good to do it well first time rather than repeating the process over and over again aye..

oh and do u mean u think spraying it without sanding looks fine? or...?

Yeah sand it off, primer so that the paint sticks properly, and give it a couple of coats. Then clear coat etc.

Personally I think it looks fine. I'd happy do it myself, and I reckon carbon fibre is bullshit since it's WAY too expensive and ILLEGAL!

The alternative is that you could get your bonnet covered in vinyl to protect the paint, whatever colour you want, or a carbon fibre look-alike pattern. Cheap :)

Biz
25-02-2010, 09:48 PM
yeh i was thinking that.. its just i have to do it myself and ive never done it before so yeh.. gonna be hard.. thx for the help! =)

lol seriously it looks gay. if ur goin for that look, get a real cf bonnet.

i think just spraying the paint straight on top is going to give that shitty non gloss look. doesn't look nice bro. u have to take the paint off, primer, paint and some cut n polish to have a nice finish.

plus if u don't primer it, hows the paint going to stick properly? im assuming its going to fade/come off fast?

but at the end. don't do it. go for a clean look

dougie_504
25-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Nah I'm saying that the panda look is fine by me, I don't have to associate it with you being a 'ricer' - it takes a little more than a panda bonnet to quality for that status I think.
Do what you want with your car. get the look that pleases you. Don't listen to these worthless cun*s who want to label you and tell you how to be.

And I also think CF bonnets are bullshit and overrated. Flame away if you disagree, I don't care. They're very expensive and illegal in VIC. Yes, CF looks nice, but it's still panda with a CF hood and you're still a ricer if you labeled people that way for painting their hood - you've just gone the most expensive and illegal route to get the look a save some KGs.

If you want to save KGs there are cheaper/better ways.
If you want the CF look there are cheaper/legal ways.

@OP: You might be better off just buying a new bonnet for around $100, rather than going to the trouble of buying supplies and painting it.
Good luck! :)

MWAKU: You're allowed your opinion on CF, but I just stated that "I reckon..." therefore I'm not demanding that people accept my opinion as the standard. Take is as you like mate.

Biz
25-02-2010, 10:02 PM
thx alot man! that means alot and i totally agree. THere are no set protocols for any of this. If you have a car and love it that much, you should just be able to do what you want to it to make it into the car you feel proud to be driving :)

and yeh.. never thought about lookingfor a black bonnet hahahh

dougie_504
25-02-2010, 10:04 PM
lol

Well mate you have set yourself and goal and now you've got more options to get it done, so go do it and then PM me a picture so I can check it out.

Enjoy :)

Biz
25-02-2010, 10:06 PM
definitely shall do that! thx alot
=D

pieee
25-02-2010, 10:09 PM
If you don't sand it down the paint will crack quicker than you can say babaganoosh :P

Sand it with wet and dry sand paper but keep the sand paper wet, along with the bonnet, do this till you get the clear gloss coat off, get an even finish across the whole bonnet then dry it and use that grease and grime remover stuff to clean it of all dust and finger oils etc. The primer should come next apply 2 coats of it sanding lightly till even after each coat. Once your primer is dried and smooth you should use the grease and grime remover again so the surface is clean to be painted on. You can now paint your bonnet with the black, do atleast 3 coats dont be cheap about it or all the preparation will be a waste, once everything has dried you should put your clear coat on and sand it with the finest paper you can find. Then comes the cut and polish and your done.

Just a note: Using a spray can will waste alot of paint in the process, If you could I would suggest renting an air compressor from somewhere like bunnings, the air gun will give you a really fine and precise finish and practice it first on a piece of metal you might have lying around or something flat like that.

Good luck with the colour change buddy :) I had to respray one of my old cars and I wish I went through that top post before I even attempted it

Biz
25-02-2010, 10:16 PM
ahh yeh wow.. alot of work hahah. thx alot buddy! ill have a look into it and see how much the air compressor is. Running on a bit of a tight budget thats why... settled for TE37 "replicas" haha.. oh well

thx! :)

If you don't sand it down the paint will crack quicker than you can say babaganoosh :P

Sand it with wet and dry sand paper but keep the sand paper wet, along with the bonnet, do this till you get the clear gloss coat off, get an even finish across the whole bonnet then dry it and use that grease and grime remover stuff to clean it of all dust and finger oils etc. The primer should come next apply 2 coats of it sanding lightly till even after each coat. Once your primer is dried and smooth you should use the grease and grime remover again so the surface is clean to be painted on. You can now paint your bonnet with the black, do atleast 3 coats dont be cheap about it or all the preparation will be a waste, once everything has dried you should put your clear coat on and sand it with the finest paper you can find. Then comes the cut and polish and your done.

Just a note: Using a spray can will waste alot of paint in the process, If you could I would suggest renting an air compressor from somewhere like bunnings, the air gun will give you a really fine and precise finish and practice it first on a piece of metal you might have lying around or something flat like that.

Good luck with the colour change buddy :) I had to respray one of my old cars and I wish I went through that top post before I even attempted it

hitoriko
27-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Im going for the panda look also - i would get CF but all the ones i've seen are crazy pricing and have dodgy vents etc...

if im a ricer - so be it

but at the end of the day WE ALL DRIVE HONDAS to we are already considered ricers from the get go :P

TheSaint
27-02-2010, 08:30 PM
i dont mind the panda look ... pure black and white civic hatch - u gota do the doorhandles as well tho

u will have to sand it back ... because of the clear coat etc and u want there to be a key for the paint to stick to

if i got a CF bonnet i would color match it to my car so u couldnt tell lol

im a big fan of perspex bonnets ... see thru ftw =)

kung fu panda y0!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/jayaskoo/NewCivic-1.jpg?t=1267266525

http://thefilmprojector.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/kung-fu-panda-black-and-hoffman.jpg