PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Buying interstate cars with surrogate VINs

ajbm
26-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Anyone here experienced buying cars interstate with surrogate VIN?
How did you go trying to register it in your state?
What state are you from and where did you buy the car?
I'm sure your experiences will help those others contemplating on buying interstate cars. :)

catacaustic
26-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Buying interstate cars is easy really. But I'd hazzard a guess to say that any regulations for "surrogate" VIN's vary from state to state. The biggest thing that you'd need to make 100% sure of is that the paperwork for changing the VIN is up to date, clear and easy to trace back. As long as you can show a clear and valid record of the car, and whatever changes have been made officially, then you should have no problems.

ajbm
01-03-2010, 04:59 AM
U are right every state has different regulations (how I wish that isn't so).
the reason I started this thread is because I want to share my experience as a BUYER (from NSW) from SELLERS (Interstate).
so here goes...
I bought two cars, one from QLD and one from VIC, both are legally rego'd in each state respectively. Both cars have surrogate VINs. However, when I tried to transfer registration into NSW I was only successful with one of them... that is, doing it legit!

I will post more about these topic in the next few days when I find time during NIGHT SHIFT (when not busy).

Anyone expert out there feel free to comment!

ajbm
24-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Attention: If your buying interstate cars, and you are from NSW,
beware of cars with wierd VINs
For example:
6f9Investx0x0x0x0
V97x0x0P

RTA will make it hell for you to register it here, and maybe not even let you register it all.
They will ask you for documents, and despite providing these, they may say, that's how other state does things and we are different here in NSW!

trism
25-03-2010, 05:17 PM
i still dont understand the point of this thread