PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Club Shifter

GenesisEG
27-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried installing a B series Buddy Club short-shifter on a D series box.

The point of attachment looks identical, it's just the shape of the shaft itself that differs, at least that's what I can see.

If anyone has tried this, could you please let me know? I am going to upgrade to a B18 when I can get the cash together, so my D15 won't be staying. I don't want to buy 2 shifters so this one would save me doubling up.

Red_EG4
27-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I have the D series single bend shifter.
In my opinion, don't waste your money on it.

GenesisEG
27-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I have no choice.

I just bought a Spoon shift knob and OEM leather boot to replace the garbage the previous owner had on there.

I took off the Momo shift knob, only to find it wasn't a threaded knob, but held on with a grub screw, and the motard that installed it cut the shifter down with a hacksaw to make it fit, so I no longer have a shifter with a threaded tip.

I'm intent on making this car top notch, cutting corners and installing second rate equipment is just not good enough. Even if I have to change every last screw or rivet on the car, I will.

I just bought the B series shifter, I just wanted to know if anyone had tried fitting it so I would know whether or not I should expect to meet any problems along the way.

hitoriko
27-02-2010, 04:30 PM
wont fit

*edit* no selling here

GenesisEG
27-02-2010, 04:31 PM
It won't fit?

Yonas from JDMYard sold it to me, told me it would.

What stops it from fitting?

hitoriko
27-02-2010, 04:37 PM
i was told that the D series and B eseries linkages were different

GenesisEG
27-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Hmmm, the two shifters were sitting side by side on the counter, and looked identical except that the B series shifter is shaped a little differently up toward the knob.

I assume that I will have the option of taking it back if it doesn't fit, it was bought under his advice, I just thought I'd try and save myself the hassle of getting it installed if someone has actually tried to install one and failed.

Red_EG4
27-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I think an OEM shifter from a wrecker would be better, just my opinion.
Just give Yonas a ring and ask, get an assurance it will fit.

Here is some rough OEM Specs,
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/Postie_Boy/shifter.jpg

EG5
27-02-2010, 05:47 PM
will swap it with D series one if you want to be 100% sure

EG5
27-02-2010, 05:48 PM
i was told that the D series and B eseries linkages were different

shift linkage are different but the shifter looks 99% the same thing

GenesisEG
27-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I would prefer to have the B series if it fits. I quite like the idea of the shifter sitting closer to me, my arm gets tired from holding it out-stretched all the time.

I trust your advice Yonas, I just don't like taking risks, that's all. I've never been a big risk-taker, and I like to research things to death before doing something. If someone else has already tried this, then I'd much prefer a clear-cut definite answer from experience than simply comparing shifters on the counter.

Failing a definitive answer, I'll go ahead and get it installed. I'll be sure to post up the results as soon as my mechanic is available to do it.

hitoriko
27-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Sorry Yonas

didn't mean to try and put down your experance and expertise - im new to honda so yeah

GenesisEG
05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
The shifter is in.

I think a minor modification had to be done, but since the D series shifter had the same dimensions in that regard, it didn't make an ounce of difference. I have a mate that did it in his garage in less than an hour using a jack and some stands.

Feels great, quite a precise shifter. Needs a bit more force to change gears than the OEM, but I guess that's expected from a short shifter.

Good stuff, I'd recommend it to all.

I apologise for doubting!

Red_EG4
06-03-2010, 03:52 AM
The shifter is in.

I think a minor modification had to be done, but since the D series shifter had the same dimensions in that regard, it didn't make an ounce of difference. I have a mate that did it in his garage in less than an hour using a jack and some stands.

Feels great, quite a precise shifter. Needs a bit more force to change gears than the OEM, but I guess that's expected from a short shifter.

Good stuff, I'd recommend it to all.

I apologise for doubting!
check how tightly you have tightened the bolt at the base of the shifter.
Mine is barely harder to shift than OEM.