PDA

View Full Version : machine rotors, new pads?

vinnY
27-02-2010, 09:56 PM
so what's the general consensus on pads after machining rotors?

replace with new ones or okay to reuse?

seems to be a bit of a waste to throw away 5000km old ds2500 pads when my 8000km brembo slotted rotors have developed a shudder :(

THE_MASS
27-02-2010, 10:06 PM
dont qoute me on this but sometimes when the shudder happens it makes "grooves" in the pads and may cause the brakes to become unevenly worn...

to change them?? up to you..
i would. its always good to start fresh.

vinnY
27-02-2010, 10:08 PM
yeah not sure aye, it's weird

sometimes the shudder is there, sometimes it's not
i've noticed if i clutch in and tap the brake pedal twice i can brake without shudder from just about any speed

markoJEK1
28-02-2010, 10:27 PM
As stated, recommended to machine rotors and replace pads, as the rotors warp, the pads also tend take shape of the warped rotors, put them on a straight freshly machined rotor you might end up with a shudder not as harsh but still there.

Do it right and get new pads, save you future headaches.

aaronng
28-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Inspect the pad surface and rotor surface first. Look for grooves or chunks missing. Then only consider machining discs. I doubt you have warped your rotors unless you had run your brakes until red hot and then sat on the brake pedal when stopped.

vinnY
28-02-2010, 10:37 PM
ds2500's had a nice flat surface
machined the rotors today for $14/ea
they took about .5mm off measured via my veneer calipers(always wondered how much they took off)

shudder is gone :)

aaronng
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM
That's not much. Maybe there were some deposits on the rotor. Next time you can try rough sandpaper on the rotors if you want to try saving on the machining costs. It might or might not work. Worth a try though.

Zilli
01-03-2010, 06:36 AM
as above - i had this exact same issue with my ferodo's... the guy who machined the rotors had different thoughts on what could have done it... but anyway, he machined them, and also he roughed the pads on a flat surface with some sandpaper