PDA

View Full Version : B20, start up bearing noise

GSi_PSi
28-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey guys , ive got a b20 , and on cold engine start up it makes a bearing noise for about 1 second then goes away.. Ive asked my engine builder he said its the oil pump ??.. but then i asked a mate off the forums and he said its the bearing size that has been input wrong on engine build thats why its rubbing when cold... Whos at fault?.. so all i need to do is change the bearings and its all good?

GSi_PSi
28-02-2010, 02:46 PM
also would loading the motor up in higher gearings be the cause :S ??.. thats what the engine builder is saying has caused it? .. ive change the oil regularly, never beat on it when cold...

na-118
28-02-2010, 03:16 PM
which bearings connecting rod?

fatboyz39
28-02-2010, 03:24 PM
sure its bearing noise? piston slap?

GSi_PSi
28-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Hmm well on early morning cold startup it happens for about 1 second .. if the weather is hot it sometimes doesnt happen :S.... It sound like a deep tap tap sound coming from the block...

bennjamin
28-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Use a stethoscope (spl) to determine the more likely area of this noise - ie head or bottom end

integragsi96
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM
doesnt sound good mate, i recently had that exact problem with my b18b and the mechanics just basically told me either to get a new bottom end or engine as its about $2-3k to fix if the bottom end bearing has caused problems, mine started as just the bearing knocking noise then got worse and could rev over 3500 without a serious noise. now i just had to buy a new engine (currently waiting for it to arrive).

bennjamin
01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Might be the same stor as your old engine Sam

integragsi96
01-03-2010, 12:55 PM
yehh sounds like it.
i say get it to the mechanics asap because if you have just done the bottom end bearing example like yesterday you might just need the bearing done, but if you leave it like a week you will expect to have the same things wrong as my old engine

GSi_PSi
01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
anyone got any ideas what type of bearings i should get>?.. i had kings bearings... they dont seem to do their job.. Should i go standard honda or ACL>?

GSi_PSi
01-03-2010, 01:26 PM
should i get the complete set>? rod, main and thrust bearings? or just the rod bearing?

integragsi96
01-03-2010, 02:15 PM
go to the mechanics first to find out what actual damage there is..but if you wait like a week like i did you might need a complete bottom end rebuild....but you might be lucky

GSi_PSi
01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
cuz my bearing hasnt sprung yet, its only making noises on start up, cause its rubbing against the crankshaft when cold.. im thinkning not only was the bearing size wrong, mightve got worse due to no breather system maybe.. Your car had a sprung bearing and u drove it around , which i wouldnt be stupid enough to do. After start up the car is fine, feeling as powerfull as ever but everytime i start it i rekon its makign the bearing life shorter and shorter..

integragsi96
01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
mmm maybe so but should check it out tho....
lol at "which i wouldnt be stupid enough to do"....as i got told my car be fine till they could fit me in the following week

GSi_PSi
01-03-2010, 09:14 PM
has anyone herd of using 4 sets of bearings to get exact clearance or something. Thats what my engine builder chris said i didnt pay for which has caused this:? .... Cause i paid for a new set of kings bearings but he said he needed 4 sets to mix and match lol??..

ALLMTR996
01-03-2010, 09:22 PM
has anyone herd of using 4 sets of bearings to get exact clearance or something. Thats what my engine builder chris said i didnt pay for which has caused this:? .... Cause i paid for a new set of kings bearings but he said he needed 4 sets to mix and match lol??..

And yes he is correct when using ACL bearings you buy 2 sets of each mains and big end bearings so you can get the correct clearence they come in STD and +0.001",if you used King you got what you paid for RUBBISH bearings.

Slaz
01-03-2010, 09:23 PM
If it is the bearings that are causing the noise, then it isnt a fault with the bearings, rather the size of bearings used Sam.

GSi_PSi
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
hmmmm should i just buy two sets of bearings then>? and get ACL/?> all 3, rods,mains and thurst washers?.. damn i never knew kings were rubbish, otherwise i wouldnt have got them... pretty much screwed now, gonna end up with a big bill..... chris is saying my "missuse" has caused this.. lol...

bennjamin
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM
sam please organise it with your builder