PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion.... Cert Eng or not to

TypeG
01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
I have an EG with B18CR in and as well EK4 VtiR brake converted.
It got a 4-1 header and a pod filter. I am going to put coilover, swaybar, exhuast and ecu tuned.
SHould I do the eng cert before I modify it?
What engineer look for when they checking the car?
If nothing goes wrong, how much is it?
Do vicroad charge anything after i get the cert?

ajbm
01-03-2010, 10:42 AM
dude have a read...
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128792
in NSW u don't need to an eng cert to upgrade from 1.6L to 1.8L, but usually other mods... especially coilovers in most states are defects.

Engineers only checks with their pad if mods are SAFE, you or your mechanics usually do the modifying. Usually takes 15-30 minutes in most cases, that is if the engineer knows ur work or trusts ur mechanic's. Basically, ur paying for their signature on paper stating car is safe on the roads!
Eng. cert. are usually $500-$700 should be no more than that (shop around)

bungsai
01-03-2010, 04:07 PM
you will have to engineer it if you are putting a 1.8l in a eg and you want to register it with that engine.

Dems
01-03-2010, 04:18 PM
i am in melbourne and have just done all of this with my crx, vic roads will not update your rego without an engineers report. because it is an increase of more then 10% in power.

my engineer has charged me $600 all up to complete the car, i need to return it to close to stock eg, height and smaller wheels and exhaust has to be legal noise etc.

after your car has passed all the above he will do a brake test, and you get your certificate.

contact me for details or you use the vass list on vic roads to find an engineer.

bennjamin
01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
you will have to engineer it if you are putting a 1.8l in a eg and you want to register it with that engine.

can you please link us to where it states this on the vicroads website ?
As , in NSW if you replace your engine with another from a similarly chassis car , and within +15% AND same or newer emissions standards , it is regarded a "replacement" motor.

xntrik
01-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I went from 1.8 to 2.0, blue slipped and re-registered. Too easy.
NSW btw.

On the blueslip it states that the engine has been replaced with another one of the same STYLE.

Dems
01-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form and provide VicRoads with:

* a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
* an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

when i went to vic roads in January, my car was inspected and the officer knew what an integra type r was and what i had done to my car even tho i played dumb.

original motor =96kw new motor =141kw

more then 10% so you can't just "slide it under the radar".

end of story, it requires am engineers cert.

pm for engineers details if you need typeG.

TypeG
04-03-2010, 10:24 AM
too bad one of the cheap eng said he cant do if my car has airbag..... =(

Dems
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
too bad one of the cheap eng said he cant do if my car has airbag..... =(

steering wheel?

just put the stock one back in for the test you nut!

TypeG
05-03-2010, 09:03 AM
no he told me he cant eng my car if my car has a driver's airbag from factory

Dems
05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
no he told me he cant eng my car if my car has a driver's airbag from factory

how come?

TypeG
05-03-2010, 10:17 PM
i want to know as well.... sigh~~~~

cheapdouchebag
07-03-2010, 12:55 AM
well that sucks
im one of them lucky guys, my eg didnt come with airbags haha =D

TypeG
07-03-2010, 09:13 PM
can anyone tell me what is a NO for eng cert?
right now I am not really ready for eng cert as I am quite busy atm...
however I really want to mod it...

I got exhuast (hiflow cat and catback), coilover and ecu....
Will eng cert okay with those mod?

ajbm
07-03-2010, 10:10 PM
can anyone tell me what is a NO for eng cert?
right now I am not really ready for eng cert as I am quite busy atm...
however I really want to mod it...

I got exhuast (hiflow cat and catback), coilover and ecu....
Will eng cert okay with those mod?

NO POD FILTER out on the open, my engineer told me to intall a heatshield on the engine bay, then I had to DIY a cold air feed system behind the front bar.
If you choose to put a CAI system, then get him to put that on the report aswell (even though you shouldn't get defected on that)

all the other mods that you mentioned should ok.

TypeG
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
thx anyone from melbourne???

Dems
08-03-2010, 06:47 PM
just because they are on the car doesn't mean they need to be engineered.

as long as the car meets the epa noise level, is not too low, wheels not to big etc... you have nothing to worry about.

if the engineer can do them he will add them to the report, if not he does not need them to be removed.

TypeG
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I doesnt want to add the mod into the report..... I just worrying if it will be harder to get eng cert if I put the mod into my car before I get the eng cert done.
Sound like it maybe better to get the eng cert when i sell the car later then =)