PDA

View Full Version : Battery died

mpk_3
01-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey guys, I have a 94 DC2 VTi-R and only use it on weekends. I take it for a quick spin about once or twice during weekdays just to recharge the battery. Sometimes it wouldn't start after I fill it up at the station and I would sit there and wait for about 2 minutes or so to get it running again. I tried to drive it last night but all I could hear is the starter motor cranking with a tick tick tick sound. The engine wouldn't turn over. Measured the voltage using a multimeter and I got 10.5V which isn't good. I could hear the fuel pump priming. My suspicion is that the alternator is faulty and needs replacing.

I replaced the following since I got the car about a year ago:

Century battery (bought this midyear last year)
NGK leads
Bosch Iridium plugs
Blox cam seal
OEM Vtec solenoid gasket
OEM rocker cover gasket kit

I also did a basic wire tuck. I re-routed the light and ABS harnesses and re-located the fuse box inside the glove box.

What can I do to test the alternator? Do I need to test the fuses? Also, would it be worthwhile to bring my flat battery to say Kmart to have it recharged? Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Limbo
01-03-2010, 01:32 PM
kmart have a tester & can tell you if its the battery or alternator.
If its the battery then it would be under warranty.

cazz'shonda
01-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Charge the battery from a 240v charger.
Turn on all the lights in the car and check what the volts drop to, shouldn't be too much of a drop. (high 12s should see a drop to just 12 with lights on)
Start the car and give it a rev(over 2,000rpm) and see if the volts rise to about 13.5/14v. If not, likely the alternator is buggered. Also, while the car is running, turn the lights on again and if the volts drop way down then I'd say the Alt definitely faulty. Take it to any good auto sparky and he can check it for you.

mpk_3
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
cheers guys i'll do those tests and see what comes up.

mpk_3
06-03-2010, 06:13 PM
i took the car today at the mechanics. i borrowed another battery and we measured the voltage while the car is running. it was 12.5V when the car is off and around 14.5V when its on. so the alternator is definitely not faulty. could it be the old battery that's causing all these problems? i left the battery at the workshop for him to test and be back on tuesday.

cazz'shonda
07-03-2010, 08:36 AM
If the battery is the age you say and less than 1 year, it's definitely a warranty replacement job.
I'd say, you will certainly be owed a replacement because nearly 100% of today's batteries are 2 year guaranteed.