PDA

View Full Version : Ignition timing + Cam Phasing

todaek9
08-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Hm, does anybody knows that increasing your ignition timing on your car does what to your Vtec?...hmmm...and Cam Phasing as well...

bennjamin
08-12-2004, 07:10 AM
....it makes ur VTECH fly amazingly fassst....

seriously - VTEC or not what have u researched that it does ? Cam phasing too....you heard this somewhere so tell us !

wynode
08-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Changing the ignition timing (i'm assuming you are talking about just advancing the timing via your Dizzy and not an aftermarket ECU) will have similar effects to a non-VTEC car.

Cam phasing reffers to changing the time at which the intake/exhaust valves open. With VTEC, there are two set variations. One for the low cam, and one for the high cam.

alphabeatsco
08-12-2004, 05:12 PM
so is it good to increase the ignition timing?
i heard it can only be done to certain level, anymore more than that..the engine will shake.

spoondc2
08-12-2004, 05:19 PM
so is it good to increase the ignition timing?
i heard it can only be done to certain level, anymore more than that..the engine will shake.
There is a label on the bonnet, it shows the saft range for the ignition timing, for example, it's 16 degree +- 2 degree

For my car it's 18 degree now, tune on dyno, not sure if it's safe for other model but at least it's in honda's recommended spec though

Civic Type R
08-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda spend millions on researching where the timing should be and set the engine to that. Would you think a backyard apprentice playing around with tuned settings would be a smart thing to do for the search of extra power ?

spoondc2
08-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda spend millions on researching where the timing should be and set the engine to that. Would you think a backyard apprentice playing around with tuned settings would be a smart thing to do for the search of extra power ?
Yeah you are right, do you think it's safe to have 18 degree timing? It's still in the spec though :D

wynode
08-12-2004, 08:20 PM
YES! :D

I'm running premium with around 2 or so degrees of advance and noticed the increase response and better economy soon after I did it!

Too much advance and expect knocking.

todaek9
08-12-2004, 10:27 PM
ehh...tell you all what...hehe

my cam phase gonna b 6 degree's for in/ex as well, and ignition timing will go up crazily high...lets say x0-40 +- mark....
is that really needed?...i noticed that Vtec need to play alot on the ignition timing and cam phasing to get it's optimum straight line kick to woop some Turbo's...but to make that happen, Compression must be...around..ehhh..somewhere...hahaha...i've forgotten...muahahahhaa...

After market ECU is needed for this kinda setting...and big cams as well...but i don't think anybody will go that Crazy unless you are really in to Track racing...

Compression to Match this kinda setting is very important as i know from a Tuner...but how would the car go, he told me...."you better start saving money for 4 pots dude"...soo...for myself..i don't think i'm ready for that yet...hahaha..

This info might be wrong...but if you think that's rite...please comfirm with me as well...as i'm abit Stressed when i heard that my ignition timing will definately go more than 30++ degree...

so guys...help me out ...and you also might gain more knowledge about this...hehe

todaek9
08-12-2004, 10:33 PM
actually, you should see a Vtec with around 40 degrees ignition timing...and see how that Civic Rip off an STI...ehh...i'm talking bout a car that i've seen before...comparing Straight line power, and even STI were boosted to 1 bar, that Civic still going off as if the STI were standing still...

ps: tat Civic was lighten as well...heard was around 900kg with 230-240hp...track car basically...hehe...STI was around 350hp or less...

todaek9
08-12-2004, 10:35 PM
people...please correct if i'm wrong okay...i heard what..then i tell what oni...hehe..

Alpine
09-12-2004, 09:55 AM
How do you advance the timing? Is it something I can do myself?

Civic Type R
09-12-2004, 11:38 AM
you adjust the distributor. I think Dyno Dave has already covered how this is done in another thread.

tinkerbell
09-12-2004, 12:18 PM
people...please correct if i'm wrong okay...i heard what..then i tell what oni...hehe..
it seems to me that you are just regurgitating meaningless crap - why are you doing it? :confused:

can you also try to use better syntax?

you are posting very poorly...

todaek9
09-12-2004, 04:06 PM
i dono much thats why i wanna ask more..

tinkerbell
09-12-2004, 04:09 PM
i dono much thats why i wanna ask more..
well, you need to try to make more sense with what you are saying and asking...

no offence intended.

todaek9
09-12-2004, 04:13 PM
you mean the 6 degrees in/ex advance...?...and the 30-40 degrees advance in ignition timing?...hmm...was saying that's extream...

tinkerbell
09-12-2004, 04:14 PM
you mean the 6 degrees in/ex advance...?...and the 30-40 degrees advance in ignition timing?...hmm...was saying that's extream...
yes, these are extreme when considered in simple isolation, but might be perfect for a circut racing car tuned with MoTeC or something...

what is your question?!?!?

todaek9
09-12-2004, 04:21 PM
i'm just asking does anybody know what degree of cam phasing and what degree of advance ignition timing to match the compression la...

for example, lets say 12.5:1 compression...

todaek9
09-12-2004, 04:22 PM
and also...wht does it do...why need too much ignition timing?...why so much cam phasing?...why it must run 12.5:1 compression but not higher?...why is higher compression not suitable for higher advance ignition timing...??...tinkerbell...i think you know it all...answer me if you can...

tinkerbell
09-12-2004, 06:30 PM
and also...wht does it do

'timing' is the point of the crankshaft Before Top Dead Centre (BTDC) when the spark plug fires e.g 18 degrees means that the spark plug fires when the crankshaft is 18 degrees before the piston is at top of its compression stroke

...why need too much ignition timing?

so that the combustion can occur earlier to make the most of the available compressed air/fuel mix

...why so much cam phasing?

to keep the valves open correctly to allow the proper air/fuel mix to enter the combustion chamber

...why it must run 12.5:1 compression but not higher?

physics dictates that it is inversly harder to raise the compression ratio the higher you go

...why is higher compression not suitable for higher advance ignition timing

because fuel has a octane level that dictates that it will pre-detonate if compressed too much

...??...tinkerbell...i think you know it all...answer me if you can...
you will find MUCH MORE AVAILABLE information on the internet if you look for it.

once you have half an idea about what you are talking about, then we can have more indepth discussion...

that's it from me here.

TODA AU
10-12-2004, 06:30 AM
ROFL :p :D :wave: