PDA

View Full Version : 89 DA9 engin swap

ls popps
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
could anyone tell me some things i need to know before starting
well i have a LS integra 89 my family has owned it since new and i still love it.
i was thinking about buying a DC2r front cut because i need a new motor and gear box.
what are the problems i'm going to run into?
will the engine swap straight over?
will the gear box bolt straight up?
can i use the CV joints?
any extra bits i should buy before starting?

if anyone in melbourne has done this before and can give me info on who to go and talk to it would be great.

Vvvtec
02-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Havn't done it personally, so dont qoute me on this but i'm assuming with a front cut you will get the majority of bits you need.

Sorry i know that doesnt help much :p

could anyone tell me some things i need to know before starting
well i have a LS integra 89 my family has owned it since new and i still love it.
i was thinking about buying a DC2r front cut because i need a new motor and gear box.
what are the problems i'm going to run into?
will the engine swap straight over?
will the gear box bolt straight up?
can i use the CV joints?
any extra bits i should buy before starting?

if anyone in melbourne has done this before and can give me info on who to go and talk to it would be great.

slimx
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
if ur getting a front cut ur right brother.

U need WIRING HARNESS, GEARBOX, MOTOR.. um..

I WOULD Change radiator just to be sure to..

electronics is the main bitch man, wiring is gona fuk ur life otherwise.. its perfect fit and you will be right.

gumbs
02-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Have you looked at DC2R front cuts? They are stupidly expensive, there's a few people on here how have done the conversion and it isn't overly difficult, for an engine conversion anyway.

If you buy a JDM one you can sell off the JDM panels for abit of extra cash. Or they can be made to fit the Da9 but it requires you to swap the radiator support and massage the inner guards abit.

ls popps
03-03-2010, 05:40 AM
cool cool. any one got a phone number or two of a mechanic in melbourne that would be able to do it?
DC2R front cuts are a bit expensive found a few DC2 front cuts that are quite cheap.

gumbs
03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Shit if your paying a mechanic to do it don't waste your time. It going to cost you a fortune. It would be significantly cheaper to sell yours as a broken wreck, or better yet wreck it, and buy another DA9 then to pay someone else to do the conversion. How much are DC2 front cuts going for now? Are you looking at VTIRs or just standard dc2s?

DAs are worth shit all now, I only got 4k for mine and it was under 200k tight engine with a mild cam, all the basic power mods and an excellent suspension and braking setup.

Its going to cost you more then that to get your engine and gearbox replaced, if you have to pay someone to do the work.

ls popps
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
i'll try and do most of the work my self, but i was looking to talk to some one who has done it before. my motor i have now itsn't bad at all. still has full compression and not leaking any oil (thanks mum for driving so slow for 13 years). i really want to change to manual and was thinking of vtec thats why i was going for the half cut. i'm going to spend around 10k on the motor gear box and install, but after reading every post for the last 2 weeks on here it sounds like i should just change the gear box over and reco my motor with some tough bits to turbo the crap out of it.
really keen to check out some one in melbourne who has an da9 with b18a turbo or da9 with b18c7 na.

Chriskoss
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
It would be cheaper to turbo the b18a1 IMO.. theyre good motors, have guts, but yeh if you turbo it you will be sweet.

The best thing you could do is somehow find a private seller whos selling a b series vtec engine with a gearbox or just keep looking til you find 1 at the right price

Mechanic will charge excess of 2k to put the motor in, so either do it yourself or spend 5k+ just for the vtec novelty

And on a da9 that is worth 5k max its hardly worth it, you will hear people saying sell it and get a dc2 vti-r but I like the da9 shape alot btter than dc2, up to you though

cotties
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
with a da9 half of the hard work is already done
the car already comes with a b series engine in it
which means if im correct you should have a A1 cable operated gearbox?
this will bolt directly to any b series engine as long as you have a cable clutch kit on it
(cable and hydro clutches are different)
so all you have to do is transfer all the mounts and brackets onto new engine
drive shafts are fine just use your old ones

for wiring you can ether use you stock harness and add the few extra wires for vtec and use a pw0 or chipped ecu(use stock injectors)
find a EF8 crx harness and replace stock harness with it and use PW0 ecu (use stock injectors)
use you stock harness and buy a obd1 harness converter which allows you to add the extra wires and use a more modern ecu like a p72 or something (use stock injectors)
or do a full obd1 conversion using a EG6 harness or buy a whole new harness from rywire which will cost you about $700 AUS (need obd1 injectors)

for intake and exhaust buy yourself something to suit and your done

friend of mine could do all this for you for fairly cheap
his name is andy
his number is 0419538730
have a chat with him and im sure he would be able to sort you out

other place to check is hondatech theres heaps of da teg threads on there

Irinkanji
31-03-2010, 12:57 AM
how much work would need to be done for a H23 prelude engine to fit into a DA9?
Have a DA9 Ive owned for a bout a year now and kms are getting a tad high and am looking for replacement engine, if i can find one that is.