PDA

View Full Version : extending o2 sensor wires

vinnY
03-03-2010, 09:59 AM
so it appears cutting and soldering (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=129105) on the sensor side was a no-go thing to do

drove okay for about 30 minutes then started stuttering a bit then eventually the engine cel came on
on reset the light goes off but after a couple minutes the stuttering is back

how do i go about extending the sensor then? won't reach on the new location on the headers :(

Limbo
03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
pretty sure it should have been fine, Did you have good soldier joints?

Or maybe your sensor was already dead?

vinnY
03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
yeah could be coincidence, but i don't think so

solder joints are fine, the way i did it there is no chance for a dry joint or any kind of break
connections were heatshrinked then wrapped in 3 layers of electrical tape, plugged in and moved out of the way of anything

Limbo
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
i've seen them extended before without issue though

vinnY
03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
yeah not too sure
i was told i had to extend the wires on the engine harness side not the actual sensor

oh well the stock one was a bit banged up anyway after 14 years

ECU-MAN
04-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I have done it many times before,

good joints and will not let you down

also make sure you wire it up right

`

Limbo
04-03-2010, 10:50 AM
usually time to replace. I replaced mine cos i thought it was giving me worse fuel economy

yeah not too sure
i was told i had to extend the wires on the engine harness side not the actual sensor

oh well the stock one was a bit banged up anyway after 14 years

vinnY
04-03-2010, 11:45 AM
yeah pretty sure i had it hooked up right

either way i got a code 43 when i checked the ecu, replaced the sensor and it seems to be okay now

i've been hearing they're shielded wires ecu-man, any truth to this? is there a specific type of wire i should be looking into to extend these things?

ECU-MAN
04-03-2010, 11:56 AM
only the 1 wire is sheilded from the connector back the ECU, and that is the O2 signal wire. Code 43 is fuel supply system, so you either wired the O2 signal wrong or the sensor is dead, or you damaged it.

vinnY
04-03-2010, 12:04 PM
yeah i'll have to see how i go
so any type of wire, as long as it's more than 20ga
and i can extend from the sensor side?

ECU-MAN
04-03-2010, 03:19 PM
you can extend from the sensor side, im not sure what the wire guage has to be, but it must be the same at the current O2, use heat shrink, not electrical tape.

it will be hard to solder to start with, but once you get heat in the O2 wires it will take the flux in the solder and start to tin so you can solder them up.

vinnY
04-03-2010, 03:22 PM
when i did it, it was fine
solder flowed into both my extension wires and the o2 sensor wires
2 layers of heatshrink was used just incase

like i said it worked for a while then threw a cel so i'm not 100% what's going on unfortunately

ECU-MAN
04-03-2010, 05:52 PM
the O2 may have just failed, unrelated to what you did.

vinnY
04-03-2010, 10:36 PM
oh and the heater wires, do they matter since they don't really seem to serve any real function? pretty sure i didn't mix them up but just incase

ECU-MAN
07-03-2010, 04:29 PM
it shouldnt matter, ( two balck wires ). but try not to mix them up. if you mix up the other wires you will be in trouble

vinnY
07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
ah okay

so i stripped some cables back from the oem wiring attached to the sensor, it appears each wire there seems to be some sort of shielding then there's 2 wires right in the center of each one which are wound tightly but there still appears to be continuity between all of them so it doesn't seem like it does squat
can get photos of need be

so i'm assuming i can just extend the wires as i would any other wires? or should i just spend the $30 odd bucks and buy an extension harness from the US?