PDA

View Full Version : Euro Power Steering Pump

EURO4
04-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Can anyone here give me a rough estimate of how much a new power steering pump for the euro is? Anywhere is fine, just wanted an idea of where and for how much people who might have replaced theirs got them for. Looks like I'm going to need to replace it since the one in my 04 euro lux is failing.

Also thinking of getting it replaced at Top One over in Arncliffe since its only 5-10mins away, never been there for repairs though. Anybody have any thoughts or any other suggestions?

Cheers for any information.

tony1234
04-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Can anyone here give me a rough estimate of how much a new power steering pump for the euro is? Anywhere is fine, just wanted an idea of where and for how much people who might have replaced theirs got them for. Looks like I'm going to need to replace it since the one in my 04 euro lux is failing.

Also thinking of getting it replaced at Top One over in Arncliffe since its only 5-10mins away, never been there for repairs though. Anybody have any thoughts or any other suggestions?

Cheers for any information.
Try wreckers for a 2nd.hand unit.Top One are good.I personally haven't used them but a number of the guys here have and i've heard nothing but good reports.

tron07
04-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I will prefer a new one for peace of mind... you will never know when the 2nd hand unit might fail and workmanship to change it aint cheap either.

^__^ SM ^__^
04-03-2010, 08:15 AM
What are the symptoms of a failing pump? Does it squeel when you turn the steering (mainly while parking)?

EURO4
04-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Mmmmm thanx for the input fellas, I'd probably go for the new pump as well for peace of mind. Money isn't so much an issue as getting VALUE for my money; that is a job well done and reliability for a change. I'll give Top One a call.

From my experience with this issue i've noticed a number of things to indicate my power steering pump is failing:

1. A loud whining/squealing sound while turning, particularly at tight corners whilst holding revs or while driving slowly while turning the wheel. This is what it sounded like at first, its gotten worse so now it whines on every turn of the wheel.

2. Stiff steering particularly in cold weather (but also when it's warmed up) and while turning at low speeds.

3. Occasional feeling of slippage while turning the wheel.

4. Power steering sometimes feels like it goes out for a second while turning.

oongie
04-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Top one are good.
Did a service with them lately!
Dedy is a good bloke.

tron07
05-03-2010, 07:54 AM
have you done a power steering fluid flush before? Try flushing before changing. Even with my other 1999 car overseas, its still running on the original PS pump.

Oscar B
05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Mmmmm thanx for the input fellas, I'd probably go for the new pump as well for peace of mind. Money isn't so much an issue as getting VALUE for my money; that is a job well done and reliability for a change. I'll give Top One a call.

From my experience with this issue i've noticed a number of things to indicate my power steering pump is failing:

1. A loud whining/squealing sound while turning, particularly at tight corners whilst holding revs or while driving slowly while turning the wheel. This is what it sounded like at first, its gotten worse so now it whines on every turn of the wheel.

2. Stiff steering particularly in cold weather (but also when it's warmed up) and while turning at low speeds.

3. Occasional feeling of slippage while turning the wheel.

4. Power steering sometimes feels like it goes out for a second while turning.

My 04 euro lux got the same sickness from last week!

Belinda03
14-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Just a warning to everyone with 03-06 (at this stage) Euros. Recently there have been quite a few high pressure power steering hoses failing. Main symptom of this happening is smoke coming from under the bonnet. These are very costly to get fixed, kms on the cars have been about 80 000kms and upwards. This is due to the high pressure hose looping over the manifold for no good reason. There are a few models of Honda built this way, but at the moment it only appears to be a thing with the earlier Euros. At this point, there is no recall or extended warranty from Honda Australia for this stuff up. Until they get enough of these happening really quickly, it will be an owners wear full cost matter. OEM parts range from $400+, thats without labour costs.

luxobarge
19-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Just a warning to everyone with 03-06 (at this stage) Euros. Recently there have been quite a few high pressure power steering hoses failing. Main symptom of this happening is smoke coming from under the bonnet. These are very costly to get fixed, kms on the cars have been about 80 000kms and upwards. This is due to the high pressure hose looping over the manifold for no good reason. There are a few models of Honda built this way, but at the moment it only appears to be a thing with the earlier Euros. At this point, there is no recall or extended warranty from Honda Australia for this stuff up. Until they get enough of these happening really quickly, it will be an owners wear full cost matter. OEM parts range from $400+, thats without labour costs.

Had the top hose problem occur around 140 000kms... i just took off the top hose, took it to a hydraulics hose mob and had it repaired for $100 (basically replaced the hose and restrictors). Dont bother taking it to honda, i think my quote for the top hose was in excess of $500.

xxb4xx
19-04-2010, 07:15 PM
My pump occassionally sounds whiney... and when you rev the engine, it gets louder with it.. but then it will stop?.. weird.. I know its the pump, as it will do it more when I turn the wheel..

The resevoir is full of fluid.. maybe it just needs a flush I guess... the fluid is about 80k old!

pudsp1
23-01-2011, 06:22 AM

This happened to mine recently and I also had a hose made up by a hydraulic shop, after fitting and refilling with fluid, there is a load groaning whirring noise present. I originally replaced the fluid with non-genuine but have since drained and replaced with genuine honda fluid but the noise is still there. Next step is to order and replace the seal on the pump end of the hose (there are none in stock)

pudsp1
25-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Just replaced the o-ring at on the high pressure hose at the pump and it made no difference, still had the same whining/whirring noise. Would the non-genuine power steering hose be the cause of this noise?

Fredoops
25-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Refer to my thread... Honda hose are... "special".
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?144865-CL9-Power-steering-hose-genuine-replacement-vs-aftermarket-repair

oh by the way... A new ps pump is $1000 plus..... New.... Good luck

pudsp1
26-01-2011, 09:48 AM
So you really think that the cause is the non-genuine hose? It's just that $450 is a lot of money to spend in the hope that it is the solution.

Fredoops
26-01-2011, 03:04 PM
So you really think that the cause is the non-genuine hose? It's just that $450 is a lot of money to spend in the hope that it is the solution.
Nah, time to hit the wreckers, get a used one.

quill53
26-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I've had this squeal since feb 2008, in 6 visits back to 2 dealers they have:
1. drained, flushed and refilled power steering unit TWICE!
2. replaced the power steering pump, as well changed the oil.
So if your prob is same, replacing power steering oil won't stop the squeal.

Fredoops
26-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I've had this squeal since feb 2008, in 6 visits back to 2 dealers they have:
1. drained, flushed and refilled power steering unit TWICE!
2. replaced the power steering pump, as well changed the oil.
So if your prob is same, replacing power steering oil won't stop the squeal. did you at any point had the power steering hose replaced/repaired at a hydrolics shop? With a non genuine Honda hose?

quill53
27-01-2011, 05:10 AM
no, to both.... have only been to Honda Service for all servicing