PDA

View Full Version : What will i need to lower my 3G?

Chapman2233
04-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I know i will need the springs obviously.
I have also been told i will need to buy shocks since the stock ones will burn out pretty quick?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sir_vtec
04-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Why not get coilovers like K-sport, Megan Racing or Function and Form? They make coilovers for the 3rd gen. However, if you after quality shocks then get KYB shocks.

Chapman2233
04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
thought coilcovers were alot more expensive?

Sir_vtec
04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
They are but their 'adjustable' so you can lower or raise anytime you desire.

Jarik
05-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Function and Form Type 1 coilovers are good if you just want to lower your car. No dampening adjustability, but you don't really need that if you just want to lower it.

There's a group buy on PreludePower for them here (http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319682) for $600USD+shipping. Considering you're getting coilovers for that, a great option.

Function and Form Type 2 are also in the group buy for $750USD+shipping which offer dampening adjustability. They're said to be a good street coilover option if you do both street and track work.

Few places to look at getting KSports - ebay, shops in America or from PP traders.

KSports from what I guage are a bit more stiffer and more suited to track use. More like $950USD + shipping probably.

I wouldn't trust the Megan option. Just heard a lot of bad things about them for other cars. D2 and Hot Bits also make coilovers for 3gs, but not sure how much that'd be. Not many options for our car unfortunately. There was a 3g Prelude going on eBay a while back with $80k worth of mods, and the most powerful NA B20A engine in the world - it should be noted that it ran F&F Type II coilovers.

Another option is going Ground Control coilover sleaves (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/index.php), which allow height adjustability and have very good springs, with a set of matched shocks. Thing is...for the third gen we don't get nice shocks like Koni Yellows or KYB AGX.

We get more OEM replacement stuff like KYB GR2, or Tokico Blues. Tokico Blues + Ground Control Coilover sleaves is a very popular combination and is good if you're not gonna drive your car hard. Not sure what pricing is, or how they'd compare to the F&F Type 1 option.

You could look into getting custom Koni revalved for your car, but not sure how much that'd cost.

Manabir
05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
What? My post got deleted?
He asked what he needs to lower his car...an angle grinder is a perfectly valid suggestion. Just not very safe.

pieee
09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
an angle grinder will take away over 25% of the springs tension and bounce, not to mention burn out the shocks. Was there something else? I'm blank tonight. :P

Manabir
11-03-2010, 09:49 PM
i never said it was safe...infact i said it wasnt.
but its an option. not a good one but an option none the less.
the fat chick with herpes who wants to f##k you isnt a good option and i definitely wouldnt take it...but its still an option.

SnowWhiteLude
08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I hear a few bags of cement in the boot and some concrete in your front bar will also give your lude a drop. Its easily reversible and cheap too!

justin_huynh
13-04-2010, 05:06 PM
hey dude i just recent lowered my prelude and my mates civic which was heaps easier then the prelude
but you'll need spring compressors to clamp the original springs while using an (impact wrench) or the rattle gun to get the nut on top out of the shock
with shocks yea just buys some after market shocks if the ones you have are damage if not its fine
you might have trouble getting the strut out of the front one just keep hacking at it until it comes out
one thing recommend not to do is cut the springs
mate did his
youll never get the same compression rate
and like mentioned above said it bounces so the handling is dangerous as
so the main thing is buy spring compressors from like supercheap auto
once finishing using it spray it black and the clamp sliver and return

trelf
28-04-2010, 09:38 PM
get lowered springs and depending on how low your going get advice on the length of the shocker you need to install.

cutting springs will make your car bounce around corners and throw you off the road so dont bother with that. also leaving the shocks stock will cause them to f**k up early.

coilovers are expensive but give awesome handling. just depends on how much your willing to spend.