PDA

View Full Version : deciding on a civic?

bambi
04-03-2010, 06:42 PM
i currently own a da9 integra but im looking at moving to an EK civic. now im an apprentice mechanic so i'm not loaded, but i do work for honda so thatll help cut costs as far as repairs and maintenance go.

im looking for something fun and easy to do up and i was looking at the cxi but everyone tells me theyre crap? i'm gonna test drive some soon to see if theyre any good but everyone keeps saying buy the GLi (though to be honest every single one i find for sale is insanely overpriced) and i'd love a VTiR but im not particularly rich. obviously Type R would be the pinnacle but i know its not happening.

so owner's thoughts? is the cxi's drum rear brake all that bad? hows the engine for a fun scale? decent gearbox?

thanks in advance =D

pieee
04-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I recently bought a CXi and I can tell you that the GLi is exactly the same thing, i've tried both and decided that the CXi was the better choice, the rear drum brakes are fine, no problems with them at all, pull the hand brake up when ever you like and they will lock up like discs on my previous cars.

The gear box is nice and smooth, its the best shifting car i've had to date. Its firm and responds exactly the way a gear box should.

As far as i have read and tried the power is the same between the GLi and CXi both 88kw both 144 torque. Just try to stay away from red is all I can say, cause the paint fades to a slight pinky colour over time unless you have a car cover/port or garage to keep it in and out of the sun.

Besides that only negative point its an amazing car :D

dougie_504
04-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I recommend just getting the VTi. You get some nice electrics and 4 wheel disc brakes etc.

Otherwise, what's wrong with the DA9? Nice car...

Raztaz
04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
I recently bought a CXi and I can tell you that the GLi is exactly the same thing, i've tried both and decided that the CXi was the better choice, the rear drum brakes are fine, no problems with them at all, pull the hand brake up when ever you like and they will lock up like discs on my previous cars.

The gear box is nice and smooth, its the best shifting car i've had to date. Its firm and responds exactly the way a gear box should.

As far as i have read and tried the power is the same between the GLi and CXi both 88kw both 144 torque. Just try to stay away from red is all I can say, cause the paint fades to a slight pinky colour over time unless you have a car cover/port or garage to keep it in and out of the sun.

Besides that only negative point its an amazing car :D

Yes they are the same car its just the GLi came with more..."modern" features ud expect from cars around form that era e.g. power windows. HOWEVER, the GLi does come with front sway bars, CXi has no sway bars at all. If u can find a good priced GLi then that's the way to go. Otherwise, EK4 VTiR!

akusuma
05-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes they are the same car its just the GLi came with more..."modern" features ud expect from cars around form that era e.g. power windows. HOWEVER, the GLi does come with front sway bars, CXi has no sway bars at all. If u can find a good priced GLi then that's the way to go. Otherwise, EK4 VTiR!

don't forget tachometer as well for GLI :p

UkuleleGod
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
If you can find A GLi, I would say go for that. It is just a bit more modern in its features, but it has the same engine as the Cxi. I guess the Cxi would go a bit better because it doesn't weigh as much?

I would agree with saying to avoid the red. I mean, it looks great. but it fades rather quickly. have a look at the civic vti civics (EK4). They have a better engine and better features.

bambi
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
yeah as i said i work at honda and every red car we get in from the 90s has turned that pink so i know what you mean. the da9 is an auto and its getting the better of me because i know how much power that drains so its not much fun. and as far as aftermarket upgrades go, theyre all really hard to source and ridiculously priced. It's also got this really awkward side profile that just gets to me a little bit...

I didn't realise the CXi didn't have a tacho so thats definitely a downer, but you can get aftermarket ones can't you? the lack of power windows isnt really a issue, i drove an automatic one yesterday in this amazing blue colour and it went just as quickly as my DA9. Even though they don't come with them stock can you get swaybars for a CXi? i don't mind spending money doing up the car over time and i know how much sway bars do for rigidity.

All the GLi's i can find are auto sedans and that doesn't realy do it for me ill just have to keep waiting i guess for a good manual hatch to come up. all the VTi's i see are $9k+ and i really dont make enough money to be able to afford one right now.

I'm really at a bit of a loss :( does anone know anywhere better to look for them? carsales and carsguide etc arent that fantastic right now

jks24
06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Is there anything wrong with your current car? If not mate I would save up a bit and look at goin the whole way and going for an ek4. Should be able to get a good one for around 10k. They are a good base with a good engine already in etc. Only thing I don't like about them is the sunroof.

Ps buy red if you have a garage or cover... Red cars go faster :p

INVSBL
06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
wtf, 9k for a gli. better off saving couple for grand and get a vti-r
sif pay 9k for a gli.

lol.

jks24
06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
wtf, 9k for a gli. better off saving couple for grand and get a vti-r
sif pay 9k for a gli.

lol.

Yeh man some of the prices that ppl put on their ek1s for sale is stupid, Ffs it's a base model car and they are sooo common so plenty of choice If your the buyer

bambi
06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
haha no garage unfortunately, mums got a red car in there already

i just checked out the VTiR's and they all have a shitload of mods on em, i take it finding a bog stock one would be near impossible? and whats the deal with VTI's? like they have the CXi/GLi engine so what makes them so special? just suspension and sporty accesories?

jks24
06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
If you can find A GLi, I would say go for that. It is just a bit more modern in its features, but it has the same engine as the Cxi. I guess the Cxi would go a bit better because it doesn't weigh as much?

I would agree with saying to avoid the red. I mean, it looks great. but it fades rather quickly. have a look at the civic vti civics (EK4). They have a better engine and better features.

Ek4 is vtir

red is a great colour if your prepared to and have the time to maintain it

INVSBL
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
sohc vtec motor?

least thats what i thought vti's had.

jks24
06-03-2010, 09:04 AM
haha no garage unfortunately, mums got a red car in there already

i just checked out the VTiR's and they all have a shitload of mods on em, i take it finding a bog stock one would be near impossible? and whats the deal with VTI's? like they have the CXi/GLi engine so what makes them so special? just suspension and sporty accesories?

Yeh with the nature of a vtir most will prob have mods.

Vti is still d series (d16y8) it's a better then the cxi/gli engine as ts sohc vtec.

bambi
06-03-2010, 09:08 AM
well the plan is to put a b18c7 in it eventually so if i had a VTiR i wouldnt bother coz thats already DOHC VTEC but if i get something like the CXi or GLi i would probably go ahead and do that. how much extra power do you get from VTi?

INVSBL
06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
nothign noticable.

if ur going to do a motor swap.

just get a gli.

cxi just aint worth the extra trouble.

jks24
06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
well the plan is to put a b18c7 in it eventually so if i had a VTiR i wouldnt bother coz thats already DOHC VTEC but if i get something like the CXi or GLi i would probably go ahead and do that. how much extra power do you get from VTi?

if thats the plan you dont need to worry about high km's as much either as your going to be replacing the motor.

bambi
06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
yeah but running gear can be an issue, ie gearbox or suspension thats already there. i found a nice red GLi for $5200 but its owned by a chinese girl and from what ive seen at work, that is never a good thing. and yes i can maintain red. i used to wash my old 180sx twice a week and wax it fortnightly lol

jks24
06-03-2010, 09:24 AM
yeah but running gear can be an issue, ie gearbox or suspension thats already there. i found a nice red GLi for $5200 but its owned by a chinese girl and from what ive seen at work, that is never a good thing. and yes i can maintain red. i used to wash my old 180sx twice a week and wax it fortnightly lol

buy an engine with a gearbox already on it, suspension isnt an issue if your going to go coilovers etc etc

INVSBL
06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
most of the stuff that would be worn on an gli ur gonna replace anyway.

all the bushs ud be swapping for thiker ones.

if u go coils and srpings and shocks replaced.

what ud wanna look for is a straght body and chassie. and an clean interior.
least from what ur saying thats wat i think u need.

bambi
06-03-2010, 09:51 AM
yeah you pretty much got it there. a decent interior and a straight body with a good paintjob and good service history. i like to know the car is doing well mechanically. luckily tyres dont matter as i have a set of rims to go on it from my integra already

StrawberryFace
07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
mate cxi/gli= same what because gli has power options and rear disc brakes big deal juss means cxi is cheaper to change brakes on lol and there fun man test drive ull see champ. gl

dougie_504
07-03-2010, 10:38 PM
If you're going to go B18C7 just get the cheapest/cleanest model, no matter what it is.

But even then I think a nice B18C2 would pull very well in a civic :)

MRB18R
07-03-2010, 10:41 PM
to be honest with you... maybe you can get an integra vti-r, or a del sol crx they go for pretty good prices these days...

EK1.6LCIV
08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
gli or vtir hatch

the mate I have at Honda has the cxi, just keeps going and going, he has no intentions though to modify it beyond the a-b car that it is though as it's the cheapest to run of the ek's

not having abs makes upgrading brakes a tad easier (less shit to remove/find/fail), not having power mirrors and windows is another plus (less things to fail/break, windows are a problem on the electric eks), driveshafts are cheaper (no abs rings and you can use other non abs models which are easier to find at a cheap price) shoes for the rears new are 20 a pop, front pads aren't too badly priced ethier. All they really need is a tach (I use mine to get good fuel usuage as I shift to 3rpm each gear when putting to work), I also have one forsale cheap from my car I no longer need if you do get a cxi

The last ek a bud picked up and dailied for a good while had over 400k on the clock and had been looked after it's whole life and still in great shape

stay away from red, the french could make a better red lol jks jks

bambi
11-03-2010, 05:35 PM
yeah no intention of owning a crx del sol i dont really like the look of them and the vtir integras are hard to come by, and again, overpriced or as in the case of the last couple ive seen, really badly taken care of.

i test drove the cxi last weekend, the dealership wanted $7,888 but thats a rip off. i just wanted to test drive without someone getting my number and hassling me. the drum brakes were fine and the thing goes hard enough, only concern about them is body roll in the corners. can you put swaybars on a cxi? i just think thats its only downfall. and how hard is it to install a tacho?

dougie_504
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
If you want to look at a VTi-R look at this one (http://firesport.com.au/97-honda-dc2-vtir-sell-car-trading-point-sales--ad149000.htm)

Stock as, low KMs, looks clean to me. $8g in VIC. I'd check it for you if you want.

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2010, 08:13 AM
yeah no intention of owning a crx del sol i dont really like the look of them and the vtir integras are hard to come by, and again, overpriced or as in the case of the last couple ive seen, really badly taken care of.

i test drove the cxi last weekend, the dealership wanted $7,888 but thats a rip off. i just wanted to test drive without someone getting my number and hassling me. the drum brakes were fine and the thing goes hard enough, only concern about them is body roll in the corners. can you put swaybars on a cxi? i just think thats its only downfall. and how hard is it to install a tacho?

easy enough to do, plenty of threads on here as to how and traders with the parts you'll need :)

tacho plugs and plays with any ek gli/ek4/em1/ej8/ek9 cluster

not a bad deal for a cxi if it's immaculate with logbooks, good kilometres, etc

Raztaz
12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
can find GLi's at the 8K mark

bambi
14-03-2010, 07:45 PM
ah k so tacho just goes in with cluster? that works i was afraid i would have to put it in a cup somewhere.

ive also found an indy 300 special cxi for $6900 ono which is like any other cxi but an awesome yellow colour

blastnpast
15-03-2010, 07:50 PM
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7496/24011122864204397314667.jpg

:D:D get an ek for shore !

blastnpast
16-03-2010, 02:47 PM
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7496/24011122864204397314667.jpg

:D:D get an ek for shore !

Sorry forgot to mention mine is a cxi lol and the Indy model :) it goes preety hard for a stock d16y4 mate but I'm converting the ek1 into an ek9 :) more fun hehe

blastnpast
16-03-2010, 02:54 PM
If you're going to go B18C7 just get the cheapest/cleanest model, no matter what it is.

But even then I think a nice B18C2 would pull very well in a civic :)

If he is gonna drop a b18c7 he is preety crazy on mods lol those engine will be pricey but worth every bit!

dougie_504
16-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Well you can go C7 or CR for anywhere between $5000-6500

C2 anywhere from $2500-3500

:)

bambi
18-03-2010, 06:33 PM
hey man that yellow civic is sick! whered you get the front lip? looks like the carbon fibre spoon one.

yeah currently unsure, im just gonna do some light mods to the da9 until i make a decision. theres a rumour that a b16b head on b20 block and better connecting rod bolts is shit fast and can handle nos so i might even consider that into whatever i do lol. might just give it a few months.

i mean if i can come up with a manual conversion the da9 might be a better chassis to use for a project car anyway

dougie_504
18-03-2010, 11:43 PM
IMO:

Don't get a B16B head, it's super expensive for what you're getting.

Get a B16A head if you're going B20VTEC. It flows better I'm told by my engine building friends on or off OH.

A B20VTEC with I/H/E generally makes close to 120kw if built well and properly. A B16B is just a de-stroked B18C so it's not worth the extra dosh mate :(

blastnpast
20-03-2010, 02:00 PM
hey man that yellow civic is sick! whered you get the front lip? looks like the carbon fibre spoon one.

yeah currently unsure, im just gonna do some light mods to the da9 until i make a decision. theres a rumour that a b16b head on b20 block and better connecting rod bolts is shit fast and can handle nos so i might even consider that into whatever i do lol. might just give it a few months.

i mean if i can come up with a manual conversion the da9 might be a better chassis to use for a project car anyway

HMMMMM i had a little accident yesterday :( and this is the outcome :S HOPE ITS NOT A RIDE OFF, I LOVED MY YELLOW EK !!!!!!

http://img205.imageshack.us/i/p3180194.jpg/

http://img230.imageshack.us/i/img0225y.jpg/

aznalex
20-03-2010, 10:39 PM
major differences from CXi to GLi
no tacho
no power windows
no power mirrors
no rear brakes i think
im not sure about this, but i think there is no a/c in the CXi... =/
weight difference? like 5-10kg CXi being lighter

if your the one that requires these features, i suggest you just wait it out and do what i did.
waited like 6 months, constantly searching for a cheap GLi.
the opportunity came and i got this red GLi hatch with 125,000 kms and a
good clutch all for 4.5k.
only bad side was the seriously faded red (pink). sorted it out and got a mate to respray it red again with a black bonnet (2pack baked). looks great now. spray job was on a mates rate though

i really thought i would get a CXi, but i realised all these differences and i said HELL NO... i cant deal with no power options.
but its a funny thing in the sydney metro area.
CXi's sell for more or the same as a GLi.

i say, wait it out, look hard, your waiting will pay off

also blastnpast, your car looks f**ked, the support column for the roof is bent and trying to panel beat out the side crashed bit will be like impossible. looks like a repairable writeoff, but an expensive one lol. to get it done professionally, they will have to replace the smashed metal, and that is certainly NOT cheap at all. like a 10k job.
(looks like you fastened on that lip real good though!!)

blastnpast
21-03-2010, 08:35 AM
major differences from CXi to GLi
no tacho
no power windows
no power mirrors
no rear brakes i think
im not sure about this, but i think there is no a/c in the CXi... =/
weight difference? like 5-10kg CXi being lighter

if your the one that requires these features, i suggest you just wait it out and do what i did.
waited like 6 months, constantly searching for a cheap GLi.
the opportunity came and i got this red GLi hatch with 125,000 kms and a
good clutch all for 4.5k.
only bad side was the seriously faded red (pink). sorted it out and got a mate to respray it red again with a black bonnet (2pack baked). looks great now. spray job was on a mates rate though

i really thought i would get a CXi, but i realised all these differences and i said HELL NO... i cant deal with no power options.
but its a funny thing in the sydney metro area.
CXi's sell for more or the same as a GLi.

i say, wait it out, look hard, your waiting will pay off

also blastnpast, your car looks f**ked, the support column for the roof is bent and trying to panel beat out the side crashed bit will be like impossible. looks like a repairable writeoff, but an expensive one lol. to get it done professionally, they will have to replace the smashed metal, and that is certainly NOT cheap at all. like a 10k job.
(looks like you fastened on that lip real good though!!)

haha iight , cxi has air con mate and a good one at that :D very powerful ;) also the only physical difference is that the cxi doesnt have power options which does suck, by the way there is no column bent mate all that needs replacing is my left fender bonnet and front bumper, i am hoping that it isnt a rite off but i will update on what the situation is when i find out from aami either monday or tuesday.. THE LIP WAS TIGHTENED HEHEHE possibly selling it for $120 its 3 days old ;)

Raztaz
21-03-2010, 02:36 PM
air con was not standard though from factory, they are dealer options.
I know of a few ppl with no air con in the CXi.
Another physical diff is that you only have drum brakes on the back wheels

blastnpast
21-03-2010, 06:14 PM
air con was not standard though from factory, they are dealer options.
I know of a few ppl with no air con in the CXi.
Another physical diff is that you only have drum brakes on the back wheels

l0l obviously the drum brake shit sucks ass, well i guess i was one of the lucky ones with aircon :S but all the cxi and gli's i know have the aircon in them, how stupid r people not to have aircon these days ! they r crazy haha

bambi
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
dude that happened to my DA9 last year! like exactly the same damage. hope it works out! thats such bad luck =[ everyone involved is ok yeah?

bambi
26-04-2010, 07:58 PM
in case anyone still follows this thread i found a GLi Civic today for $6500 ONO and it drives really well, looks really good and has 131,000k's on it. issue is when you take your foot off the brake half way up the pedal travel theres a kind of grinding noise and the owner said she had it looked at by a mechanic and he said the clutch and gearbox are both working perfectly, which is believe apart from the grinding feeling theres no slipping or anything it drives fine. does anyone have any idea of what that could have been?

dougie_504
26-04-2010, 09:10 PM
If it's related to the brakes surely it's a brake pad or rotor? Have the rotors been shaved lately, or the brake pads replaced?

bambi
20-08-2010, 05:09 PM
wow i didnt check this thread for ages, it was the clutch pedal i cant believe i missed that when i wrote it. i think it was the thrust bearings. looking at a GLi again tomorrow! gonna type R accessory the shift out of it if i get it =D

Bananahatch99
12-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Sweet indy man this is first one I've seen like mine, their awesome cars