PDA

View Full Version : 6 puck clutch shuttering????

AXS
04-03-2010, 09:30 PM
hey guys jus installed a competition lightened flywheel and 6 puck clutch and as i drove out of the mechanics the car was suffering from bad shutter when trying to take off in 1st gear, once off the mark the car drive perfect asif no porblems at all, its not that im not used to the clutch, iv been driving manual cars for a long time and any manual car i get in i dont have dramas with adapting but after my clutch was done it was like no other i have driven...now the mechanic was telling me it will go away afta roughly 500kms, now this shutter is putting my rear mounts under alot of pressure and may cause them to break in short time, what id like to know is is this normal for this type of clutch to do this and if anyone has used it before, because it seems asif when your buying the part its going to be all good and well but after youv put it in your car all these important information on the clutch come out into the open...

id just like to know if this is normal or should i do something about it...

btw it was fitted into my b18c7 EG

DLO01
04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Shuddering is normal. Reason is less surface area on the face. Lots of pressure, less surface area, it will grip!

Will become less with time. To very minimal or nothing. I know, I have one.

For now learn to drive with it. Give it a little more revs than usual, let the clutch pedal out a little quicker. Limit slipping.

Off topic, but do you need such and extreme clutch? *edit* Oh, do I see boost?

AXS
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Shuddering is normal.

Will become less with time. To very minimal or nothing.

For now learn to drive with it. Give it a little more revs than usual, let the clutch pedal out a little quicker. Limit slipping.

Off topic, but do you need such and extreme clutch?

mate if i new it would be this way believe me i wouldnt have bought it....

DLO01
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Should have posted before you bought!

AXS
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
i mean i was aware it was going to grip really hard but i didnt expect the shutter and i dont mean a little shutter i mean the whole car shutters....

DLO01
04-03-2010, 09:44 PM
You need to learn to drive it. Once you get used to it your fine. The clutch only gets better with age.

IEVAQ8
04-03-2010, 10:06 PM
as deanno says, learn to drive it the way it wants to be driven, more revs to take off and less slipping/riding, then it will wear in and you will adapt to it without realising......

Limbo
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
make sure you bed it in for the first 500-1000km.
That can effect the shuddering. But it is normal for the 6 puks to do that.
There is a reason it says for competition use, they are normally too busy to notice abit of shuddering

CB7_OWNER
04-03-2010, 10:56 PM
how do you properly "bed" in a clutch?

xntrik
04-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Drive it in for awhile, as limbo said.
It'll get better.

AXS
05-03-2010, 02:57 AM
ok thanks for the advice guys but in one day my rear engine mounts have collapsed, and yes i am running hasport mounts!

its all good i guess you learn through your expiriences!

IEVAQ8
05-03-2010, 06:02 AM
ok thanks for the advice guys but in one day my rear engine mounts have collapsed, and yes i am running hasport mounts!

r u fukn serious???

i had ORC single plate clutch with stock standard ITR mounts and where fine.....

bennjamin
05-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Op

sure your mechanic machined the flywheel ?
Rear mount buggered ? also your mech may of left the oily residue on the pressure and clutch plates .

Both of these will contribute to clutch shudder

watch out , I installed a 6 puck clutch correctly machined everything cleaned everything and a few weeks later the clutch spring/s failed. Killed from shudder we think , the manufacturer hasn't given us a reason

AXS
05-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Op

sure your mechanic machined the flywheel ?
Rear mount buggered ? also your mech may of left the oily residue on the pressure and clutch plates .

Both of these will contribute to clutch shudder

watch out , I installed a 6 puck clutch correctly machined everything cleaned everything and a few weeks later the clutch spring/s failed. Killed from shudder we think , the manufacturer hasn't given us a reason

part purchased from jdm yard, basicly all my mods:p and the clutch and flywheel fitted at bel garage, its a lightened flywheel so it didnt need machining....

CRXDEL501
10-03-2010, 12:13 PM
ive just bedded mine in, i got the stage 4, and it doesnt shudder that much anymore when i rev it the right amount, i actually got that use to it, that when i drove my dads mazda, that was harder to drive

AXS
13-03-2010, 02:53 AM
ive just bedded mine in, i got the stage 4, and it doesnt shudder that much anymore when i rev it the right amount, i actually got that use to it, that when i drove my dads mazda, that was harder to drive

how many ks did it take?

CRXDEL501
13-03-2010, 08:33 AM
how many ks did it take?

About 500kms... It still will do it don't get me wrong, but you just gotta work out how to drive with it and what's the best way to drive it.

It's a shame you got a clutch like that when you aren't going to be making massive power.

7ypeR
13-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Like the others said, you just have to learn to drive with it.

Even after it's bedded in, it doesn't change that much so expect to have it for as long as you have the clutch/car.

I actually don't think it's that bad. You should try hill-starts in stop/start traffic. It's f*ckn bad.

RandyRhydah
15-03-2010, 07:19 PM

did my standard b18c rear mount to with my xtreme 6 puck sprung clutch.. just ordered energy mount inserts for it i hope they hold... but when you take off with revs even with fked engine mounts it doesnt shudder at all

AXS
17-03-2010, 03:16 AM
hey guys just swapped my hasport mount rubbers over, the car is driving alot better still nothing like a normal clutch but livable...

heres a photo to have a think about or laugh about its upto you :p

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae22/jdm818/hasport.jpg

RandyRhydah
17-03-2010, 10:27 AM
damn.. the energy ones i ordered arnt solid like that.. might be up for new ones sooner then i thought.

AXS
18-03-2010, 11:07 PM
i replaced them with the really hard hasport rubbers, the car shakes like crazzy when its driving, especially through gear changes, do not reccomend for street use....i will be putting normal hasport rubbers back in as soon as the guys at jdm yard get them in....