PDA

View Full Version : B16A swap into Ej8?

mugen_ctr
04-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey all, jus quick q's, that i couldnt find, will the b16a2 be a direct drop in were the original d16y8 was?

Which means that can i reuse the old engine mounts an not swap to Em1 or Ek4 mounts?

Wiring? im not to sure how to approach it, can i still use the existing loom, or needa rip out the loom an replace it with the b16 loom?

Lastly, the power sterring and air con, will they again jus be as simple as reattaching the hosing back up to the new motor?

dougie_504
04-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I think you'll need new mounts.

Loom should be fine to use (my mate used his D16A8 for his B18CR) but just need the B16A2 ECU of course.

AC and PS should be fine to go back on I believe.

henrygiang
04-03-2010, 11:08 PM
you are probably better off selling and buying an em1. you will need engine mounts if you wanted to swap and then source a engine and gearbox and then MAYBE a loom. after all that trouble, you still have rear drum brakes and an older car/chassis.

jks24
05-03-2010, 02:30 PM
you are probably better off selling and buying an em1. you will need engine mounts if you wanted to swap and then source a engine and gearbox and then MAYBE a loom. after all that trouble, you still have rear drum brakes and an older car/chassis.

this buy the real thing if possible

EJ8 is common
EM1 is rare :)

OMG.JAI xD
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Put a better engine than the b16a. No point putting the same engine as the big brother em1 with all that trouble.

EJ8 only has 1 advantage over the EM1.
Weight. It doesnt have a sunroof and it has rear drum brakes.

Make it worth while and put a b18cr or b20vtec. Id go b20vtec as itll be cheaper than the b18cr. However. Youll need an ecu.

jks24
05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Put a better engine than the b16a. No point putting the same engine as the big brother em1 with all that trouble.

EJ8 only has 1 advantage over the EM1.
Weight. It doesnt have a sunroof and it has rear drum brakes.

Make it worth while and put a b18cr or b20vtec. Id go b20vtec as itll be cheaper than the b18cr. However. Youll need an ecu.

I'm yet to see an australan delivered em1 with a sunroof from factory

op if you went to a b20 or b18 you would want to upgrade the drums anyways

dougie_504
08-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Not to mention you'd be looking at doubling your B16A swap price of $4000+/- by going B18R or B20VTEC.

I recommend B18C2. It makes a little more power than the B16A and yields better torque because of its larger displacement.
It's often overlooked by people giving advice because it's not as tough as a B18C7, B18CR or B20VTEC - but it makes good power, would feel awesome in an EK, and can be easily played with to make even more grunt.

I've seen them as low as $2200, but for anywhere between $2500-3500 (hardly more than a B16A) you'd certainly feel better off for using it instead IMO.

EK1.6LCIV
09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Hey all, jus quick q's, that i couldnt find, will the b16a2 be a direct drop in were the original d16y8 was?

yes as long as it's manual, otherwise it's more work

Which means that can i reuse the old engine mounts an not swap to Em1 or Ek4 mounts?

need the em1 rear motor mount

Wiring? im not to sure how to approach it, can i still use the existing loom, or needa rip out the loom an replace it with the b16 loom?

Lastly, the power sterring and air con, will they again jus be as simple as reattaching the hosing back up to the new motor?

:) nice upgrade, would invest in some rear disc brakes though and a rear sway bar kit, front oem pads will be fine, just thought I'd add that in there

Josh I've seen two in oz with factory sunroofs, not many though

EJ8 if you like the pre-face front :)

SIP117
10-03-2010, 01:50 AM

hi man,we're in the same boat where everyone tellsl u to sell the ej and buy em1 instead...lol

Tell u what, Instead of putting B16A2 to EJ8.better off save up a bit more "NOT TO BUY A NEW CAR" but to chuck on B20 From crv with b18c head but u'll have to change the engine mount,wiring,exhaust system,and possibly brake upgrade and 5 stud conversion to get ur car engineered.It'll cost u a bit more but u'll love it