PDA

View Full Version : How low is your exhaust?!

ekay1
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey there

i was just wondering how low your exhaust for those who have a DC5R in particular because mine currently sits about 3-5cm off the ground and its becoming a problem because my driveway is like one of those driveways that go underground so it scraps everytime unless i spend 10min trying my best to go diagonal :( i did get it raised, but its still that low...if i want to get it higher i have to change the headers apprently.. so whats everyone else done to theirs?

thanks for any help!

M@lew
05-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Mine's very low. Apparently it's a bit of a "design flaw" I guess with DC5R's as the exhaust hangs low for everyone.

Philip Lee
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Mine's very low. Apparently it's a bit of a "design flaw" I guess with DC5R's as the exhaust hangs low for everyone.

i agree. the mid pipe design is crap and hangs too low.

same on my ep3 as well which shares the same design.

ekay1
05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
ahh you serious...thats just too bad i guess haha i jsut dont want to damage my exhaust lol its so scarey everytime you drive over a speed hump or go into a driveway makes you taht much more paranoid. well thanks for the help guys!!! i kno other people have the sme problem too!

hisoka
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
go to exhaust shop and get hangers cut up and shortened. iam about to do this with my silvia, as the fujistubo for some gay reason has super low hangers.

however in qld its a law that your exhaust must be atleast 4 cms away from the cars tunnel or body , something like that.

my car when you look under you cant see otherside, exhaust is sitting like 50mm off the ground

Neesmo31
05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
isnt legal height for anything under the car to be minimum 10cm? i couldnt imagine driving something thats that low! would be annoying around here.

Just flip the headers upside down and have primaries sticking out the bonnet. lol.

TeMp
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
In a DC5R the lowest of point of the car will always be the b-pipe.

go to exhaust shop and get hangers cut up and shortened. iam about to do this with my silvia, as the fujistubo for some gay reason has super low hangers.

however in qld its a law that your exhaust must be atleast 4 cms away from the cars tunnel or body , something like that.

my car when you look under you cant see otherside, exhaust is sitting like 50mm off the ground

Is your FGK two piece? (I beleive it should be a one piece as my friend who has a S15 is a one piece). If it is a two piece you can actually down the piping to adjust the angle which will help this problem.
If you shorten the hangers potentially the exhaust will hit the underside of the car especially during spirited driving. Just because it will clear during idle dosen't mean it will clear when you are driving. Be careful of that.

isnt legal height for anything under the car to be minimum 10cm? i couldnt imagine driving something thats that low! would be annoying around here.

Just flip the headers upside down and have primaries sticking out the bonnet. lol.

10cm is the minium ride height from the lowest point of your car if you want to avoid being defected in Vic. I am not sure if this is the same rule for the other states.

Neesmo31
05-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah qld too.

hisoka
05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
In a DC5R the lowest of point of the car will always be the b-pipe.

Is your FGK two piece? (I beleive it should be a one piece as my friend who has a S15 is a one piece). If it is a two piece you can actually down the piping to adjust the angle which will help this problem.
If you shorten the hangers potentially the exhaust will hit the underside of the car especially during spirited driving. Just because it will clear during idle dosen't mean it will clear when you are driving. Be careful of that.

nah i think mine is kinda old model, and its a 2 peice, only the late model fgk come in one peice for nissans i think. but hondas its two peice.

but yeah cheers. i dont think i will shorten them anymore, lol. probably try find good second hand system.

ekay1
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
hey hisoka yeah i did go to a exhaust shop and got hangers, but its still low haha the exhaust shop lifted it as much as they could, but because of the way the headers are it still sits really low like i can go higher, but i would need new headers and i dont have the money YET! and its a problem for me because my driveway is one of thsoe where u go down a ramp and the top part is soo annyoing and i have a titanium exhaust so yeah...

hisoka
05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
oh realy, that sucks then.

titanium exhaust ? what brand? thats pretty cool, so light lol can hold i with both ure pinky.

i installed a ganador one on a s15 not to long ago, very light lol, was so easy to do cause it was light

OMG.JAI xD
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Get the hangers re-welded along with a flex pipe. Itll fix all your troubles.

ekay1
07-03-2010, 11:57 PM
yeah i did get hangers and the muffler shop did weld it up as much as they could, but apprently because of my stock headers thats the max itll go, which is still low

silverspoon
12-05-2010, 08:59 PM
quick qu ekay1 are you running stock springs with your dc5r? Mine has the same problem I'm about 8cm off the ground and I need another 2cm to pass the pits and get car licensed. Also have you considered raising the car height with shockies?

ekay1
12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
hey no im running eibach springs but back when i posted this i was running pedders springs, the eibachs are a little bit higher they drop the car subtly from the stock height however since then i did get my exhaust re welded at westside mufflers and now its snug under the body of the car so i can clear almost anything without going diagonal!!!

Neesmo31
13-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Just as a reference for someone who might need it - the Xforce headers coupled to a J's catback is a couple of centimeters higher than the stock system. Its an excellent fit and i was soo happy with the fitment of the headers too. This is (or was) on a DC2R

sretocz
13-05-2010, 11:17 AM
my car isnt that low but the mugen b pipe tends to scrape sometimes everything else is fine.

silverspoon
13-05-2010, 08:13 PM
could I just ask how low is your car from the axle or chassis? If your saying that eibachs give you an 1cm ofr show lowered look, I'm after the ride height on an DC5r with stock springs

ekay1
14-05-2010, 10:06 AM
could I just ask how low is your car from the axle or chassis? If your saying that eibachs give you an 1cm ofr show lowered look, I'm after the ride height on an DC5r with stock springs

hey well apprently the eibach and stock height is very similiar because the eibachs only give the car a subtle drop im not sure about the exact CM but its id think its rougly 2-3cm drop yeah and the day i bolted my exhaust on i remember the middle of the exhaust (b pipe) was sitting something like 3cm off the ground or there abouts it was VERY low and it was mainly the middle of the pipe that was scraping everything else was ok and i got it relwelded so that the exhaust is tucked into the body...

45SET
14-05-2010, 04:41 PM
What headers are you running?

If you are running the OEM AUDM DC5R header with a "off the shelf" JDM cat back, they don't mate up 100%, so that is why it hangs lower.

Look into a set of either aftermarket headers, or for a cheaper option OEM JDM DC5R headers (4-2-1 compared to AUDM 4-1).

I've got a Mugen catback with OEM JDM headers and my car is quiet low and I don't experiance any problems with scraping.

mnc
15-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Is it just me or does the SARD cat hang too low? Maybe because its too fat and chunky =/

r3ckless
16-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Should see my spoon b pipe tom! Bloody svratches everywhere. I just
park on the road at
my
local
shop... Cbf for speedhumps

ekay1
16-05-2010, 02:12 PM
haha yeah i can imagine my first exhaust was so badly scraped they coudlnt even reweld the holes because if they reweld it the machine was going to rip the exhaust in half...and my driveway is sooo step lol and i avoid parking in shopping centres with ramps or any speed humps, but i dont like leavng my car outside haha and have you ever been inside a universtiy? they have a speed hump ever 3m its #%#$$ annoying..and uselesss

45SET
17-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Fark...

I had the front of my car lower on the weekend when I had some other stuff fitted, and I was expecting to be bottoming out on everything after reading this thread, and to not be able to make it into my drive way... the drive way at the place I got everything fitted had a big bump in it and I was fine.

With my Tein SS coilovers on there lowest setting I am yet to hear my Mugen exhaust scrap on anything or even my front bar. There is barely a finger gap between tyre and guard at the front, and the rear is tucking.

Are you taking speed bumps at an angle and slowly?

r3ckless
17-05-2010, 08:01 PM
asset, im dropped on buddyclub N+, and we all know they dont give u a crazy drop! and i scrape everywhere lol.

With your exhaust, if u look at ur car side on, can u see the b pipe?

45SET
22-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Here is my car. As I said I have no problems with bottoming out on the exhaust at all... I am yet to even scrap the front.

- Dropped max on the front (not sure on the back) on Tein SS
- Mugen Twin loop cat back (Unmodified)
- OEM JDM 4-2-1 headers

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/45SET/Integra/IMG_2590.jpg

silverspoon
23-05-2010, 11:39 AM
sorry to hi jack the thread, well not completely. My car was about as low as yours asset and I found it hard to be able to drive everywhere without hearing either my bodykit or b-pipe scrape. From the look of it though you might be able to get the bpipe rebent up into the chassis a bit more if you find trouble in the future. Anyways I just put my factory springs back into my car yesterday and apart from the telemetry change and a small creaking noise on hard turns its the legal 100mm to pass the pits and gets over everything else. I only changed the fronts which propped the car high enough, bpipe now sits about 105mm off the ground, lets hope this is good enough...