PDA

View Full Version : Broken power window motor (its stuck)

shebangs
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Total noob question. Who fixes these?

It was working fine, then suddenly coming back from gym it dislodged and got stuck going up (went down fine). Now its not really moving. Motor seems to turn on just its out of its rails.

Any rough idea how much I should expect to pay?

Can someone please suggest a place in Brisbane.

Thanks

EK1.6LCIV
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
anywhere from 80-150 for a second hand motor (450 new from Honda), get a hatch motor they work better than coupes if it's an option at the time, if you can't remove it yourself a panel shop would be the next bet (or autobarn in logan), they would charge at best an hour to fix 60-80 depending on their hourly rate.

remove door card
remove window motor
put in new motor
assemble door card

it'll work fine again, I've had this prob 4 times over my ownership

prices were for ek power motor, can't see it being any less to be honest

markismaximus
06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I sold a second hand rear motor and rails for $30 for EG sedan a few months ago.
I have a front door motor but its from a sedan. But I highly doubt they are any different as EK1.6LCIV suggests. The rails may be different though

90LAN
06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
just try to put glass back in place 1st then spray some lube on window guides
this will make the window move more esy and mite slide back into place
if this doesnt work then do the latter mentioned above
but i would myself as its not hard if you have common sense
just a few bolts and lining up to do

shebangs
07-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, I think my motor works. I think it's just dislodged from it's rails.

Can you just buy the rails without the motor? Maybe I just need a realignment?

EK1.6LCIV
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
if it's come off the rails, it's rightfully buggered, the only way to sort it out is with a replacement motor piece

paps02
08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
ryan if its what i think she's talking about its not buggered. she can put the window back on the tracks lube it up like lan said.

o.p take off the door card undo the rails from the bottom and slide the window on.

EK1.6LCIV
08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
once they're bent, they're not coming back to life again, sad to say

the metal doesn't allow to be re bent into place, anything suggested apart from a new motor is a band-aide, do it right first time, another motor from a car with 100km-160km on the clock or a new motor, it's a shite design nothing else

in future, putting the window down until it has max 2-3" of window left is ideal as it's less stress on the motor against your window seals (and if it fails, it's easier to pull up again as a temp fix til you get to your garage).

shebangs
23-03-2010, 09:44 PM
if it's come off the rails, it's rightfully buggered, the only way to sort it out is with a replacement motor piece

Hey Ryan

Okay I took a look at it last night. It's definitely not off the rails, nor are the rails bent (as far as I can tell). . I took a look on the net/youtube and found THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12cCem0x_Jk&NR=1) video which seems to describe my problem perfectly. I then took a look at mine and the rubber as per the below picture is definitely in the same state. It's essentially jamming against the rubber channels beside the mirror.

According to the youtube video I just need the new 'channels'. Is this a big job?

I still don't understand why if it's off it's rails it needs a new motor? Surely the motor and channel and rails are separate? Noob question: Are the 'rails' the 'channels' that the American guy is talking about.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/307/brokenpowerwindows.png

ryan if its what i think she's talking about its not buggered. she can put the window back on the tracks lube it up like lan said.

o.p take off the door card undo the rails from the bottom and slide the window on.

Cheers dude

How do you undo the rails from the bottom? I assume your talking about whats holding the glass to the rails? From looking at the youtube video it might not be tooo bad. Just undo whatever is holding the glass on. Take the glass off, new rubber channel things, lube then up and put it all back on.

I'm pretty confident my motor is fine.

shebangs
23-03-2010, 09:48 PM
just try to put glass back in place 1st then spray some lube on window guides
this will make the window move more esy and mite slide back into place
if this doesnt work then do the latter mentioned above
but i would myself as its not hard if you have common sense
just a few bolts and lining up to do

Hey Lan what holds the glass onto the rails?

mugen_ctr
23-03-2010, 09:51 PM
this happend to me awhile ago, on cold night, the next day, pulled apart the door trim, there should b 1 bolt that holds the rail upright, jus undo it, and play around till the window sits back into the rail

shebangs
23-03-2010, 10:06 PM
According to the youtube video I just need the new 'channels'. Is this a big job?

I think I found my answer on honda-tech (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=18915562).

1. you have to remove the interior door panel
- remove hidden screw from door lock pod; then SLIDE the pod forward and pull to remove (do not pull on it first!)
- remove hidden screw from arm cushion area
- remove plastic pin just below sail panel
- pluck away the panel, will need to undo harnesses
- free up the lower portion of the moisture barrier

2. lower glass till you are able to see where it's bottom edge meets with the carrier

3. loosen the two bolts; do not undo them completely!

4. slide the glass sideways to position the bolt heads in front of the larger opening, you can accomplish the same by moving the track sideways

5. carefully push glass outward (away from bolts) and then upward through the opening to remove it

6. pluck away the weather stripping and replace with new one

this is about it. just be careful or pay a pro.

shebangs
23-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Another good thread:

DIY : WINDOW TRACK PROBLEM

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2061336

mugen_ctr
24-03-2010, 01:27 PM
yeap thats what i had to do.... i still have no idea how it can just suddenly fall off !?!?!?!?!