PDA

View Full Version : Hail damage claim with Justcar Insurance?

E-Gene
06-03-2010, 06:24 PM
My poor car was parked outdoors in Southbank during the massive hailstorm that we had today and it looks like a golf ball now. Dinks all over it from top to bonnet to even the sides.

Will Justcar insurance cover it? Has anyone here had any experience with hail damage?

Man, this is so depressing.

Int3gra-T
06-03-2010, 06:34 PM
act of god, no deal

foujee
06-03-2010, 06:34 PM
was waiting for one of these threads, dont think they cover hail damage though~

Stig
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
im so lucky i didnt go to work today, or else my car wouldve gotten ripped

im pretty sure any insurance company would cover it if you have full comp?

E-Gene
06-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Can't imagine what I'll do if they don't cover it.

Stig
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
if they dont cover it i can recommend you a place in glen waverley that does dent removals

they removed something like 300 hail dents from my mates car

sodaz
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
That sucks! Sorry to hear that. Most insurance companies don't cover hail damage but just give them a call to find out whether you're covered.

If not, I'd start getting some quotes on repairs. These days they can remove the dents without respraying the panels. Ask around for a reputable repairer. I'm sure your car will look like new when fixed.

wendy
06-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Really? I thought if you have comprehensive insurance it should cover natural disasters like storms, hail etc.

My car has many little dents now too and I agree it's so depressing!

E-Gene
06-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I was caught in the hailstorm while we were at the NGV and I had parked my car on the street a few blocks away. The storm was so bad that the NGV itself started to flood and leak. We were then evacuated from the building as well.

It was pretty freaky.

biee2
06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
my car is parked outside....need to check if there is any hail damage in the morning coz its dam dark at the moment. hope nothing is damaged coz the hail i saw at work were lik marble size and they were dam frozen lik an ice cube....harddddddddd not lik the shredded type of hail you use to see =.="

wendy
06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
E-gene, what are you planning to do? Have you called Justcar to check yet?

E-Gene
06-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Will call Justcar tomorrow cos they are closed at the moment.

longers
06-03-2010, 08:41 PM
i have RACV full comp and according to their website they do cover hail damage. i have about 15-20 scattered from the hood to the boot.

do we have to put the claim through tonight? or can it be tomorrow?

wendy
06-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Am I right to say that if we do make a claim, we'd be paying the excess but nothing happens to our rating?

longers
06-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Well that depends if you hold your rating with the insurance company. I'm an RACV "rating one" for life member so my rating won't be affected, although my premium's will.

E-Gene
06-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I can't seem to find anything about hail or storm cover in my insurance booklet, but my friend who was with AAMI siad that she claimed it with them some time back when it happened to her. Justcar = AAMI right?

Well, we can't really claim it tonight cos they are closed. Will have to wait till 10am tomorrow morning.

E-Gene
06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
15-20 isn't too bad. I reckon if I count, it'll be closer to 40-50.

blk_shadow
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
i'd like to know about this as well
and whether it will affect ur premium or not

unity
06-03-2010, 10:46 PM
if they dont cover it i can recommend you a place in glen waverley that does dent removals

they removed something like 300 hail dents from my mates car

That's right near me. Do you have any idea about their charges?

4mako
06-03-2010, 11:23 PM
AAMI covers damage due to storm/hail (for Comprehensive Insurance). You can find this information on your Comperehensive Car Insurance booklet, pages 32-33. You will have to pay excess for the claim but your rating will not be affected.

Stig
07-03-2010, 01:24 AM
i have RACV full comp and according to their website they do cover hail damage. i have about 15-20 scattered from the hood to the boot.

do we have to put the claim through tonight? or can it be tomorrow?

racv claims is open 24/7 from my memory

Am I right to say that if we do make a claim, we'd be paying the excess but nothing happens to our rating?

im sure that since this incident wasnt your fault, you pay the excess but nothing happens to your rating

That's right near me. Do you have any idea about their charges?

im not sure what they will charge per dent but they charged my mate roughly 3k to get everything removed from his car

but if im assuming, youre prob looking at around 40-80 per dent

tunacnt
07-03-2010, 01:44 AM
aami insurance is open 24/7 guys

13 22 44

best of luck. i will be calling very soon - got heaps of dints on bonnet and roof

had hail bigger than golf balls in my area today!

unity
07-03-2010, 01:47 AM
aami insurance is open 24/7 guys

13 22 44

best of luck. i will be calling very soon - got heaps of dints on bonnet and roof

had hail bigger than golf balls in my area today!

They said it's a 3+ hour wait for car insurance. Even longer for home insurance.

tunacnt
07-03-2010, 02:05 AM
geez. don't know when ill be able to get through to them zzz

wendy
07-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Oh gosh, 3 hour wait? Do you get put into a queue and then wait for them to call you back? I think I'll call them tomorrow, not too late right?

I'll assess the damage under the sunlight first and see how bad it really is. I've only seen it undercover and you have to look real close to see the dents (they're not huge/deep dents). I'm sure everything will be amplified under sunlight though. :(

unity
07-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Oh gosh, 3 hour wait? Do you get put into a queue and then wait for them to call you back? I think I'll call them tomorrow, not too late right?

I'll assess the damage under the sunlight first and see how bad it really is. I've only seen it undercover and you have to look real close to see the dents (they're not huge/deep dents). I'm sure everything will be amplified under sunlight though. :(

You just have to wait on hold. I called at about 7:30pm last night. Was told it would be an hour before I got through to a consultant. I hung up the phone when it got to 2 hours.

Which area in elbourne are you all? I am in Knox?

Do you have a Euro too Wendy?

wendy
07-03-2010, 03:07 AM
I am in Carlton, unity. Nope, mine is a 08 Civic. Was it your Euro or Civic which suffered the damage?

Berating myself for choosing to make a run to the shop at the wrong time. It started hailing when I was in the shop. Oh well.

unity
07-03-2010, 03:16 AM
I am in Carlton, unity. Nope, mine is a 08 Civic. Was it your Euro or Civic which suffered the damage?

Berating myself for choosing to make a run to the shop at the wrong time. It started hailing when I was in the shop. Oh well.

The Euro. That car has just about seen it all now. It's just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

tony1234
07-03-2010, 07:27 AM
If you have full comp.insurance you're covered but you'll have to pay whatever excess you have on your policy and lose no claim bonus.As others have said paintless dent removal is the way to go approx.$3K depending on damage.But your car will look like brand new after the job is done.

E-Gene
07-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Got through to Justcar this morning after a 30min wait. And yes, they'll cover me and it also won't affect my rating due to rating protection. But yes, I'll have to pay for the excess. Which is fine...thank God.

Phew...

All I need to do now is go get a quote on Tuesday and call them back, arrange for the them to come look at the car then bring the car in for repair.

wendy
07-03-2010, 10:40 AM
If you have full comp.insurance you're covered but you'll have to pay whatever excess you have on your policy and lose no claim bonus.As others have said paintless dent removal is the way to go approx.$3K depending on damage.But your car will look like brand new after the job is done.

Really? I thought that "natural events" like storm etc will not affect the no claim bonus.

erorxxx
07-03-2010, 10:46 AM
hi there,

I got Civid Fd 2007

Parked my car in southbank last night , I got flood and hail damage in to my car .. the water goes in to the car and water almost reach the passanger seat , strangley enough i can start my engine.. and

the hail damage is really bad and dent every where...

my question is if i lodge claim for hail and flood damage through RACV will i need to pay one excess or two excess??

What is the likely my car got written off?

Manged to ring them this morning however, someone will ring me back withn 48 hours :(

Thanks,

tony1234
07-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Really? I thought that "natural events" like storm etc will not affect the no claim bonus.
No.It wont affect NCB only if you have rating protection or maximum NCB for life(allowed 1 at fault claim/year usually).This is general and may differ slightly between insurance companies

Stig
07-03-2010, 10:52 AM
one excess since it was the same occasion... i think that might even be write off but wait for insurance companies to decide on the extent of the damage...

man i wish i parked my car in southbank so it could get written off now LOL

wendy
07-03-2010, 11:00 AM
No.It wont affect NCB only if you have rating protection or maximum NCB for life(allowed 1 at fault claim/year usually).This is general and may differ slightly between insurance companies

Oh, thanks. I have the "rating 1 for life" thing, so doesn't affect anything other than the excess I'll be paying right? Cos I read somewhere that someone said "hail damage claim = no further insurance".

Lol, think I should stop worrying too much.

Stig
07-03-2010, 11:06 AM
man all the panel beaters and dent removal guys are going to make a massive killing next week

tony1234
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM
hi there,

I got Civid Fd 2007

Parked my car in southbank last night , I got flood and hail damage in to my car .. the water goes in to the car and water almost reach the passanger seat , strangley enough i can start my engine.. and

the hail damage is really bad and dent every where...

my question is if i lodge claim for hail and flood damage through RACV will i need to pay one excess or two excess??

What is the likely my car got written off?

Manged to ring them this morning however, someone will ring me back withn 48 hours :(

Thanks,
You'll pay only 1 excess.Doubt your car will be written of due to it's age.

EGBenny
07-03-2010, 11:13 AM
i think dent removalists will be laughing for the next month.

erorxxx
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
thanks for the reply stiq and tony..

the only bad thing my excess is $2000 , hope my my car will be written off , problem with the car so far That I noticed air bag light is on , hand brake light is on , the muffler sound is very loud and not sure with the engine and fluids

tony1234
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh, thanks. I have the "rating 1 for life" thing, so doesn't affect anything other than the excess I'll be paying right? Cos I read somewhere that someone said "hail damage claim = no further insurance".

Lol, think I should stop worrying too much.
You'll only pay whatever your excess is but wont lose your no claim bonus.

felixd
07-03-2010, 12:02 PM
dats sux

aaronng
07-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Should read your policy's disclosure statement.

For Just Car, you are covered for natural events.

You are not covered for damage by war, warlike activities, revolution, looting or pillaging (so if you see a riot coming your way, drive away! That is not covered if they bash your car).

Also not covered for nuclear strike, nuclear weapon damage, nuclear fuel damage, nuclear waste damage, radiation damage, chemical contamination, chemical weapon or pollution. Sounds like you shouldn't carry any chemicals that can hurt you or damage your car because if it spills, the damage is not covered.

V205
08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
A little bit off topic but...anyone know if AAMI lifetime Rating 1 full comprehensive will still require excess payment? The call queue is 3+ hours!!

Stig
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
lmao aaronng that post made me lulz

yes you would require an excess payment

wendy
08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
A little bit off topic but...anyone know if AAMI lifetime Rating 1 full comprehensive will still require excess payment? The call queue is 3+ hours!!

Don't wait. If you go to their website, you'll see a link for storm victims. I think they've only put it up yesterday evening. Just fill up the required information and they'll call you back.

rodericb
08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
thanks for the reply stiq and tony..

the only bad thing my excess is $2000 , hope my my car will be written off , problem with the car so far That I noticed air bag light is on , hand brake light is on , the muffler sound is very loud and not sure with the engine and fluids
On a 2007 model car? How about the manufacturers warranty?

blk_shadow
08-03-2010, 02:18 PM

I don't think manufacturer's warranty will cover this, as this is not the manufacturer's design fault or something along that line.

erorxxx
08-03-2010, 02:28 PM

I dun think the manufacturer warranty will apply .... as damages were caused by flood and Haill ....

thank God as flood and hail were happened at the same time so I only need to pay one excess

anyone knows if insurance company will cover the cost for the card detailer as well to clean the interior due ti flood?

Thanks

aaronng
08-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I dun think the manufacturer warranty will apply .... as damages were caused by flood and Haill ....

thank God as flood and hail were happened at the same time so I only need to pay one excess

anyone knows if insurance company will cover the cost for the card detailer as well to clean the interior due ti flood?

Thanks

Let your insurance company know that those lights are on and hopefully they came on after the flood. Then they will take into account water damage to the electronics, which makes if even more expensive. Then they will have the true amount of money required to repair the car, which hopefully is close to value required for a write off.

Snowcone
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
If the car is still drivable and only hail damage, just hold off on the phone calls to the Insurance companies for a few days or a week. It will still get done and you won't be wasting your timewqaiting on. After the Newcastle floods a couple of years back they were still taking claims months later and had to set up satellite offices at shopping centres so people could talk to someone. Just relax and chill out and read your policy. I have not heard of any insurance company that doesn't cover hail damage in their comprehensive package. You have to pay the excess no matter what, and depending on the company, your NCB could change which will affect your premium renewal. But it gets fixed eventually and that's what you paid for in the first place.

rodericb
08-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks
Oh right..ha ha I thought you were wishing the car would be a write off as you had those problems before the storm! :o :cool:

4gkoobrewop
08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Can someone get a general issue regarding excess from the hail damage over the weekend.

I have a 2009 MY10 Accord Euro and had hail damage on bonnet, roof, boot and passenger side panels and the car is drivable.

I'm insured with AAMI and preparing my online claim.

Question: Do I only need to pay the excess of statement amount ($600), regardless of any expensive bill through the paintless dent removal/panel replacement?

AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance states that it is covered by hail damage.

Not happy of the dented surface, just like the surface of an orange!

Stig
08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
correct you would only need to pay the $600 excess + any age excess the policy has

4gkoobrewop
08-03-2010, 05:58 PM
sorry Stig, I'm not familiar with claiming. what do you mean any age excess the policy has?
My car is just 5 months old....

INVSBL
08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
no

age excuss is what u pay for how old you are

eg

if u are with 'just car insurance' and ur 19, u pay a higher charge ontop of excess then some1 who is 21, and i think after 25 u dont pay an age excess.

its a seperate charge that goes on your how old you are.

and dont qoute me, but i think there is also an extra charge for being male, but that might be in the first excess.

Stig
08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
im not sure if there is an age excess with aami compared to just car, but if you are not 100% sure, claim and they will tell your excess

edit: http://www.aami.com.au/resources/pdf/comp-car-prem-excess-claims-guide.pdf

page 3 half way down

aaronng
08-03-2010, 06:08 PM
sorry Stig, I'm not familiar with claiming. what do you mean any age excess the policy has?
My car is just 5 months old....

Check your insurance policy statement.

4gkoobrewop
08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
thanks. I don't have any driver excess required (age, male/female, etc).

Thanks.

hoey888
08-03-2010, 07:00 PM
just a heads up, if any of you are insured with AAMI, best to call them later this week or next week. they will be inundated with calls. chances are you'll be on hold for a while. trust me, its all hell breaking loose there with all the home and car insurance policy claims coming through

erorxxx
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi there,

for some reason today, I drove my car the air bag lights and hand brake not on all the time anymore. before, due to flood all those lights were on all the time ... which make me nervous when drove my car...

not sure why maybe the thing has dried up .... anyone has any idea?

no matter what will claim insurance and get honda dealer to check everything in my car .... but RACV haven't rang me yet

irvinchua
09-03-2010, 12:09 AM
was waiting for one of these threads, dont think they cover hail damage though~

My S2K was parked at South Melbourne and also looks like a golf ball with side panel damage from flying debris. I am covered by Shannons and they do insure hail damage. I just have to pay the standard excess.

Lucky me.

erorxxx
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
any water damage on your s2k?

4gkoobrewop
09-03-2010, 04:15 PM
if you can't get on hold for AAMI over the phone, go to the AAMI customer service sites. No need to wait for hours. Paid my excess and to be assessed next week for further actions.

erorxxx
10-03-2010, 10:04 AM
HI all,

do you know if insurance will cover the car detailers expenses to clean the interior at the moment the smell inside my car is not good.. ? lodge the claim on sunday no news yet from RACV til now :(

Thanks

tony1234
10-03-2010, 05:26 PM
HI all,

do you know if insurance will cover the car detailers expenses to clean the interior at the moment the smell inside my car is not good.. ? lodge the claim on sunday no news yet from RACV til now :(

Thanks
Yes they will.

erorxxx
10-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi All,

I went to RACV assessment centre today, they told me my civic fd will be written off as the cost for fixing it would be close to the market value.

so early next week I need to come again for final assesment.
and they told me the market value for civic fd 2007 Vti Manual would be $16,800 + any mods attached to my car (wheels, body kit, fod lights,Muffler)

I think $16800 is not fair price since my car only done 29k , and i dun think you can buy 2nd hand 2007 civic fd with that price..

is there anything that i can do here?

any tips would be greatly appreciated

Stig
10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
5sp Manual Unleaded Multi-point injected 4cyl 1.8 1799cc
Average Private Price+ $15,200 - $17,200

Price When New (RRP)+ $21,490

tunacnt
10-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Just got a response back from AAMI. They told me that any car with a sunroof with be instantly written off. Also, any car thats under $10k agreed value with most likely be written off aswell. Apparently you get to keep the car and they pay you the remaining money.

tokyonite
11-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Just got a response back from AAMI. They told me that any car with a sunroof with be instantly written off. Also, any car thats under $10k agreed value with most likely be written off aswell. Apparently you get to keep the car and they pay you the remaining money.

ermm......... not sure if mine will be written off too... 40 dents on roof, 20+ on bonnet, 15 on boot, roughly 5 panels needs to be repaired. car value is 24000.... crap.. i hate hail storm

YLDCRD
11-03-2010, 01:32 PM
My sisters ek hatch copped it. Shes got it all over the roof every single spot on the roof is dinted and bonnet too.
Also at certain angles you can see dints on quarter panels doors and some at rear

But the whole roof and bonnet is covered in dents.
Car has an agreed value of $9400. Do you reckon it will be a write off??

UNLS1
11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi All,

I went to RACV assessment centre today, they told me my civic fd will be written off as the cost for fixing it would be close to the market value.

and they told me the market value for civic fd 2007 Vti Manual would be $16,800 + any mods attached to my car (wheels, body kit, fod lights,Muffler)

I think $16800 is not fair price since my car only done 29k , and i dun think you can buy 2nd hand 2007 civic fd with that price..

is there anything that i can do here?

any tips would be greatly appreciated

i think that value is fair, VERY FAIR! its a 2007, mods and all that stuff give stuff all value for the car!, in fact i think 16,800 is very lucky take it and run! u wouldnt get that much as a trade in.

HunterZero
11-03-2010, 04:04 PM

That's depreciation on a new car for you... You would have lost at least $2K on the list price plus the amount paid for any dealer charges the moment you drove it out of the showroom door...

- HZ

wendy
11-03-2010, 08:31 PM
ermm......... not sure if mine will be written off too... 40 dents on roof, 20+ on bonnet, 15 on boot, roughly 5 panels needs to be repaired. car value is 24000.... crap.. i hate hail storm

My situation is the same as yours, though I'm assuming the higher the value, the less likely it'd be written off. Are you with AAMI and has your car been assessed? I think with eroxxx's car it also had internal damage, so costs a lot more. But I too think $16800 is a fair value.

tokyonite
11-03-2010, 09:06 PM
My situation is the same as yours, though I'm assuming the higher the value, the less likely it'd be written off. Are you with AAMI and has your car been assessed? I think with eroxxx's car it also had internal damage, so costs a lot more. But I too think $16800 is a fair value.

my car will be assessed by aami next Tuesday, just realized 7 panels needs to be repaired, i am hoping they will write off the car, can't be bother for the repair, since it's going to take a least 2-4 months to repair. I drove pass by aami center today and there were like 100+ cars in the workshop waiting to be assessed. crazy...

wendy
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Oh mine is not happening until like almost 2 weeks later, sigh. After that god knows how much longer to wait to be repaired etc. Do update after you've gone for the assessment.

tunacnt
11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
for those who don't know already, a write off due to hail damage will be classed as a repairable writeoff and you will get to buy the car off aami, be paid out your agreed value minus excess fees and the price you buy the car back for. good luck everyone.

im hoping for a writeoff. got my assessment on 22/03. i assume the place will be packed lol. one of aami's csr's called me today and advised me the whole process would take only 10minutes, so im assuming you'll get your car assessed and then be handed a cheque.

fingers crossed guys!

Phased
11-03-2010, 11:31 PM
for those who don't know already, a write off due to hail damage will be classed as a repairable writeoff and you will get to buy the car off aami, be paid out your agreed value minus excess fees and the price you buy the car back for. good luck everyone.

im hoping for a writeoff. got my assessment on 22/03. i assume the place will be packed lol. one of aami's csr's called me today and advised me the whole process would take only 10minutes, so im assuming you'll get your car assessed and then be handed a cheque.

fingers crossed guys!

I sympathize with everyone in this truly cruel but real situation. I was at work, and when I saw the storms were a couple of hours away (looked on B.O.M) I moved my car into the drive through (I work in a bottle-shop, LOL). Customers were like... WTF is this douche bag in front of me waiting for?! Haha.

They don't hand you a cheque straight away, usually it's a week (a day or two at the least) waiting period depending on insurance company. They are also obligated to pay your finance company if the car is Leased/On a Secured Loan. Some insurance companies actually deposit the money into a nominated bank account.

All this is going to **** insurance companies hard. I wouldn't be surprised that the average amount to insure a car in Melbourne will go up now.

^^ Good Idea above me, You could buy back your car and fix it yourself. I would probably do that and Respray it myself, depending on the severity of the damage of course.

Good-Luck Everyone!

Damo 7
12-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi All,
I'm in the same situation as most and looks like AAMI will write my car off as it's under $10,000 in value, but can't get it inspected for another month!!

I'm looking at the situation of buying the car back from the insurance company for the 'salvage value' but there are far more implications involved with this. AAMI are obliged by law to notify VicRoads that the vehicle is a 'Repairable write off' and as such VicRoads cancel the registration. Whether I choose to repair the cosmetic damage or not, in order to get the vehicle re-registered, you must get a roadworthy certificate and have the vehicle inspected at a VIV Inspection Centre which costs $484 and booked through VicRoads. It is essentially set up to stop people buying damaged cars for their identification and placing them on stolen cars.

Here's the VicRoads link explaining the process. http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/WhatHasToBeRegistered/HowToRegisterYourVehicle/WrittenOffVehicleRegistration.htm

The other issue is that if I choose to drive the car around with the existing hail damage, AAMI and I assume a number of other insurance companies will refuse to insure the car, even for third party/fire and theft. So make sure you do your sums as to whether it is worth the expense of trying to obtain a roadworthy, pay the VIV inspection fee and then another years rego (because when AAMI settle your claim they get the rego refund when it is cancelled) and also a number plate fee, all to drive around in the same car you started with.

Initially I thought I might make some money out of having the car written off, but it doesn't look that way at present. By the way, I found this thread via a google search and don't even own a Honda, but thought it was important people understood the implications of buying your car back from the insurance company.

rodericb
13-03-2010, 07:21 AM
^^^^ thanks for the link - I'd been wondering how all that works!

My Integra got a bit of hail damage - about four on the roof, one on the tailgate, one on the drivers side C pillar but about one hundred on the bonnet (it looks like a golf ball now :(). For a car which has copped a lot of dints on the bonnet or boot nows the time to start looking at aluminium or carbon fibre replacement! That is, if you are keeping the car and are repairing it yourself.