PDA

View Full Version : thermo wont turn off..

big tone
06-03-2010, 08:15 PM
As it states, my thermo fan wont turn off... im wondering if it due to all the rain we have had up here.

i go for a drive and everything seems fine.. after a while of being home i notice the thermo fan is running, i start the car it turns off, i pull the fuse out and it also stops. i have put the fuse back in and it hasn't randomly turned on straite away..

I havent driven the car at all today since 8pm last night, i got home at 7pm tonight and found the thermo fan was running..

So in question where should i start looking..

OMG.JAI xD
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Replace your thermofan relay. In the under bonnet fuse box.

The switching mechanism could be faulty/sticking.
Theres no point going through the troubles of fault testing etc etc. A relay only costs a few bucks. And even if it doesnt fix it. You have a spare relay.

Only reason i could confidently say replace it cause a relay has direct power and ground. If the internal switch is faulty itll keep sending power to the fan.
If it doesnt fix it. Youll have to fault find further. Trace back the input into the relay. And find what is malfunctioning.

big tone
07-03-2010, 01:28 AM
yeah im just wondering if any water got into the fuse box while i was workin on the car through week... the cover was off and it started to rain.. and yes water got in there.... like i said i pulled the fuse out and it stopped.. ill have to charge the batt so i can unlock the car to pop the bonnet.. and try the fuse..

im not using the aircon fuse so ill swap them over and see how that goes.. im pretty sure they are the same..

OMG.JAI xD
07-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I said relay dude.

Fuse is only a circuit protector. Wont make a difference if you change one fuse to the other.

big tone
07-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Sorry i ment relay... 2am isnt a good time to trying to write anything.. yeah the relays were wet after i had come back from doin some work in the engine bay only gone for 5 min and it started to piss down..... but yeah im not using the aircon relay so i was gunna swap them over and see what happends..

OMG.JAI xD
07-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeh thats the best thing to do. Should fix it. Though leave your old thermo fan relay out. You dont want anything in your a/c circuit to continuously stay on if you put the suspected faulty relay in lol.