PDA

View Full Version : Castor issues on my eg.

rayb3na_
08-03-2010, 08:26 PM
the castor on the the driver side front wheel is wayyy off the wheel sits really far back towards the driver where as the passenger side the wheel sits dead on in the centre i cant figure out what the issue is ive jacked the car up and looked underneath and the control arms and everything all appear to be straight and undamaged?

bennjamin
08-03-2010, 08:27 PM
a very very slight bend or dent in the UPPER control arm / chassis / lower control arm....can lead to a noticeable difference at the wheel end.

bennjamin
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
get a full front alignment and get them to test static and dynamic castor too.

rayb3na_
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
ok thanks ben! can you even adjust stock castor arms? or do i need to get aftermarket ?

MM89
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
whiteline has kits which allow you to adjust castor by a fair few degrees.
from what i remember they cost approximately 50 bucks or so.

i was gonna purchase this kit until i realised that it was a longer bolt and a couple of washers(shims) for the lower control arm.

i suggest using a high tensile strength bolt of the same size and equivalent strength washers if the whiteline kit does not appeal to you.

vinnY
09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
well if he's got no modifications and the castor's off, getting a castor kit isn't really a fix, just a bandaid

digler
09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
well if he's got no modifications and the castor's off, getting a castor kit isn't really a fix, just a bandaid

Very true. Like Benjamin said, have a wheel aligner do a complete front wheel alignment. after doing this it should be very easy in finding where your problem is.

Cooker
09-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Those kits that use spacers in between the arms put more stress on the back D bush and can lead to premature flogging out of the back D bush.

MM89
09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to the bushing on the front lower control that bolts to the subframe. Yes that indeed will cause premature wear because the bush is forced out of its natural position in stationary form.

rayb3na_
10-03-2010, 03:48 AM
yeah i dont really want a temporary bandaid i want the problem sorted i dont like cutting corners.

vinnY
10-03-2010, 11:33 AM
i'd have a punt that either your upper control arm or your lower control arm is bent, and on the off chance maybe your knuckle