PDA

View Full Version : Fitting aftermarket seat

TypeG
12-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey I got a set of recaro style seats and I want to fit them into my eg for more comfort and supportive ride. I want to ask if anyone have exp. modifying their stock seat rails onto your aftermarket seats... is it easy? or I should buy a DC2R rails instead?

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2010, 08:11 AM
for mod plate purposes as you'll need an engineers cert for this, it would be in your best interest in a safety point of view to just use the dc rails as they mount up perfectly, use the correct bolt locations, etc.

chickeneg3
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
its not that hard to modify rails, as long as can weld.

jks24
12-03-2010, 02:51 PM
its not that hard to modify rails, as long as can weld.

is it legal to modify rails by welding....im guessing not?

Ive heard of ppl boring out the holes more also to make dc2r rails fit into an ek. So dodgey and not worth the risk imo.

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2010, 02:54 PM
lol, gl telling your insurance it's safe if you try welding the rails

welding isn't cheap anyhow

jks24
12-03-2010, 03:00 PM
lol, gl telling your insurance it's safe if you try welding the rails

welding isn't cheap anyhow

i dont plan on doing it, I spend the cash and do things the right way:)

Not only insurance but no matter how safe ppl say they are welded, I wouldnt be keen driving around on seat rails that had been modified and welded back together:thumbdwn:

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2010, 03:04 PM
asking for trouble imho, and when r&d and products exist to aid in the installation at a good price, why bother is the key :)

jks24
12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
asking for trouble imho, and when r&d and products exist to aid in the installation at a good price, why bother is the key :)

have you got the vision low rails on yours or std ek9?

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
std ek9, as my ins/mod guy would prob not like the design being so low and bad road vision

alot to consider in the design, airbag impact, side impact, rollover protection

I don't think vision designed their rails for on road use applications where an airbag is present, don't trust it personally, if Honda wanted it that low, they would've made them

jks24
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
std ek9, as my ins/mod guy would prob not like the design being so low and bad road vision

alot to consider in the design, airbag impact, side impact, rollover protection

I don't think vision designed their rails for on road use applications where an airbag is present, don't trust it personally, if Honda wanted it that low, they would've made them

yeh you wouldnt have a problem with driving vision lol your well over 6ft tall.

I have the problem of constantly hitting my head and im only 6'2

TypeG
12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
ok..... i will get the dc2r rail then as at most i just need to drill holes on them to fit my seat not weld...

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
when I put on the engineers/designers hat I just see it as putting you at risk being lower and losing vision

maybe dial back your suspension for road use mate

jks24
12-03-2010, 03:17 PM
ok..... i will get the dc2r rail then as at most i just need to drill holes on them to fit my seat not weld...

i still wouldnt do that lol but your choice:thumbsup:

TypeG
13-03-2010, 09:16 AM
what can we do? I am not tight but just that there is no rail specify for this seat so anyhow I need to mod either a cheap rail or a brand rail anyway.
I use to have bucket SR4 and SR3 on my 350z dc2 and jazz and I always use brand rail as they are direct bolt on but these seats .... no rail for them