PDA

View Full Version : Swapping in a cam

beeza
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Need some advice plz.

Is there anything that I should be looking to replace at the same time as the cam?

The reason I ask is because I saw the skunk2 cam seal for $30 here. (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129456)

Should I buy it or is there any reason why I shouldn't,sounds like a go? :)

and is there something else I should get?

Thanks guys,

Brett.

bennjamin
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM
brett , because your engine is SOHC , you dont actually have a cam seal - your distributor seals one end and the cam gear seals the other ! The cam seal is for the EXHAUST camshaft end on a 92+ DOHC engine (OBD1/OBD2)

Anyway.....

If you are upgrading the camshaft i would look at repalcing all parts relevant to the valve train. Such as valve guides , valve stem seals springs and retainers etc.
With new OEM parts or stronger if the cams duration is harsher

beeza
12-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks heaps benny!!

Thanks for that mate,cheers!!

JasonGilholme
12-03-2010, 11:38 AM
while you're at it, on thing you should look at replacing is the block. You can pick up a b series pretty easily, i hear they're a good upgrade! :p

Hope it works out for you man. Are you doing it yourself??

beeza
12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Ahahahahaa - I LOL'ed :) :) :)

I'll get geoff to whack it in,it's in safe hands then.

He's gonna do the 2 1/4" mandrel bent exhaust system too,so stoked about that!

TheSaint
12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
afer i put my cam in the SOHC im gona stop modding and save for a b16 lol

beeza
12-03-2010, 02:29 PM
What have U heard about putting the d16 cam in the d15,what sort of difference/gains etc.

TheSaint
12-03-2010, 04:22 PM
not too much unfortunatly

alot of people say that the car pulls harder and has a wider power band

but i wont know until it goes in ... just waiting for the adjustable cam gear than it will be going in ... i will be using all stock parts as well

~Sp33~
13-03-2010, 07:48 PM
brett , because your engine is SOHC , you dont actually have a cam seal

I beg to differ. There's a seal around the distributor to prevent the oil from leaking, What do you call the seal at the other end behind the cam gear?

Pretty sure it's a cam seal.

beeza
15-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I'll have 2 crack out the ol' haynes :)

fergo308
15-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I beg to differ. There's a seal around the distributor to prevent the oil from leaking, What do you call the seal at the other end behind the cam gear?

Yep,it's called a cam seal. the other end where the dizzy fits in is an O-ring.

beeza: while you're at it,have a good look at your cam and front crank seals,replace if they look wet at all,as they cost stuff all,around $15 each aftermarket. Don't buy a 'skunk' cam seal when something from autobarn,precision or such is just as good and cheaper.

check the timing belt and tensioner while it's all open and they're off as well.

once it's back together,enjoy the extra 4-5hp!

Justin...

bennjamin
15-03-2010, 06:08 PM

you can beg all you want....I dont want to pick but the images that brett supplied are not the same seals a SOHC has. He showed the image of a DOHC seal.

beeza
15-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Yep,it's called a cam seal. the other end where the dizzy fits in is an O-ring.

beeza: while you're at it,have a good look at your cam and front crank seals,replace if they look wet at all,as they cost stuff all,around $15 each aftermarket. Don't buy a 'skunk' cam seal when something from autobarn,precision or such is just as good and cheaper.

check the timing belt and tensioner while it's all open and they're off as well.

once it's back together,enjoy the extra 4-5hp!

Justin...

Thanks Justin,awesome mate,cheers for that mate :thumbsup: :honda:

I will replace them forsure.

So:

* Cam seal
* Front crank seals

any other's? Thanks heaps.

Thanks benny!

cristian
15-03-2010, 06:36 PM
i came across a thread on d-series.org about a build thread in the US.
the guy used d16a6 cams on a d15 block. timing was +2
power gains weren't much, but i guess in a place where these parts are cheap as chips...then its a good mod for someone on a really tight budget...

TheSaint
15-03-2010, 06:37 PM
i came across a thread on d-series.org about a build thread in the US.
the guy used d16a6 cams on a d15 block. timing was +2
power gains weren't much, but i guess in a place where these parts are cheap as chips...then its a good mod for someone on a really tight budget...

lol im doing this at the moment =)

check out my build thread

beeza
20-03-2010, 05:29 PM
OK,I've got a few things to replace when the cam goes in:

* Timing belt
* Crank seal,front of oil pump
* Cam seal
* O-ring,at the other end (dizzy end)
* Timing belt tensioner pulley/bearing

I replaced the water pump 30,000 k's ago.
Oil pump is fine for a lot more k's.
The a/c and p/s belt were done recently.

Anything else guys? I checked Haynes a few times and couldnt see anything.

beeza
29-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I got the above parts yesterday,I didnt realise they accidently put a crank pulley bolt in there,it cost me $27.

The question is should I put that in,any reason why it would be a good idea or just leave it?

~Sp33~
29-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Your going to have to remove the old one when you change the timing belt, no reason to have a new one though, it's just a bolt. Unless you have to damage the old bolt to get it off... They're renowned for being the tightest bolt on the whole car (possibly in the world, no joke).

Whisper the words crank pulley bolt and Honda in the same sentence and mechanics shy away. lol. Really though, get a refund 27 bucks for a bolt? pfft.

grifty
29-04-2010, 09:54 PM
i would hang onto it just incase the old one snaps when you try to take it off, i hope it doesnt because you will probably end up paying big $$$ to get it out.

beeza
30-04-2010, 04:20 PM
haha cheers Steve! and grifty,good advice guys,best to hang onto and if he needs it,it's there,glad I got it now :)

repped!