PDA

View Full Version : clutch kit?

JasoN_-
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
hey guys car needs a new thrust bearing, mechanics are telling its not worth replaceing just the bearing, better to replace the clutch kit? whats a clutch kit? sorry i know nothing about cars >< mechanics are quoteing me 900-1000 dollars.. that seems alot for a clutch? how much should it really cost?

its a 1996 civic gli

thanks, jason

chowdaa
12-03-2010, 06:25 PM
The actual standard "exedy" or "PBR" clutch kit normally costs around 300 dollars. Which includes a pressure plate, clutch/friction disc and throw out bearing. It is also recommended but not essential that a pilot bearing and rear main seal also be replaced.

Follow the link below for schematics and basic run down on clutch operation.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

JasoN_-
12-03-2010, 06:49 PM
im guessing that a high quality clutch kit? i dont understand how it would cost 600 dollars for labor to install the kit.. are the mechanics over charging me?

Honwent
13-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Like 'chowdaa' said, a clutch kit usually consists of a pressure plate, drive plate and thrust bearing. When the thrust/'throw out' bearing needs to be replaced, people usually take the opportunity to replace the clutch whilst the gearbox has been removed. If you go ahead with the clutch replacement ensure that the flywheel is machined.

as a side note - if you find that the thrust bearing is wearing out prematurely avoid holding the clutch in unneccessarily, for example, when sitting at the lights.