PDA

View Full Version : Creaking noise when steering?

Eskimo_firefighter
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Past week my ep3r has making this weird creaking noise when i steer the car. And a lot more so when the temperature is cold. So can anyone diagnose this problem (if it is a problem) before i get this checked out at the mechanics? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

vtecster
13-03-2010, 12:09 AM
cv joints?

im.Kusuma
13-03-2010, 12:48 AM
cv joints?
Can be, but usually CV joints makes clunking noise.

To OP, did you check your wheel nuts are all tightened? Suspension? etc.

Eskimo_firefighter
13-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah the nuts are tight, the suspension i dont know. I will be changing coilovers soon so if the noise is still there after installing the new coils then its not the suspension. I am suspecting it is the CV joints. But cant really know 100% until i bring it to a legit mechanic.

Eskimo_firefighter
13-03-2010, 01:07 PM
i have done abit of research, and it could be the power steering fluid is low, so ill check the power steering fluid and see how it is.

EDIT: oh wait ep3 has electric power steering... LOL

grifty
13-03-2010, 01:53 PM
it still uses power steering fluid

Eskimo_firefighter
13-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh ok thanks for that fact, i thought electric power steering didnt have power steering fluid, opposed to hydraulic power steering. i feel like such a nubcake.:o

hisoka
13-03-2010, 02:29 PM
open your power steering resvoir while car is on, see if its making tiny bubbles everywere, if it is , then your power steering has the problem.

vuongkong
13-03-2010, 07:13 PM
sounds like cv joints maybe, but get it checked out really hard with it comes to suspension and sounds. hard to pin point.

pair08
13-03-2010, 08:17 PM
is it squeaky?

if it is then its a common ep3 problem. doesn't do any damage just sounds annoying. comes and go.. couple of the guys have tried lubing up the steering rack. search the big ep3 thread for more details :D

dougie_504
13-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I reckon CV. Are the boots intact? If there's no mess then they're probably intact...

-MuGen PoWer-
13-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Similar problem but with an s2000. In the Cold weather the fronts start to creak when driving on uneven surfaces. Started to get annoying so i might take it to hanny's sometime to get it checked. Let us know what was the result when you check yours

Eskimo_firefighter
13-03-2010, 10:48 PM
open your power steering resvoir while car is on, see if its making tiny bubbles everywere, if it is , then your power steering has the problem.

Ok will check it out thanks.

Eskimo_firefighter
13-03-2010, 10:51 PM
is it squeaky?

if it is then its a common ep3 problem. doesn't do any damage just sounds annoying. comes and go.. couple of the guys have tried lubing up the steering rack. search the big ep3 thread for more details :D

Oh nah its not squeaky but more of a creaking noise. I cant really explain it, lol. But its definitely not squeaky. Thanks for the tip.

Eskimo_firefighter
13-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I reckon CV. Are the boots intact? If there's no mess then they're probably intact...

Im sorry, what do you mean by boots.

Eskimo_firefighter
13-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Similar problem but with an s2000. In the Cold weather the fronts start to creak when driving on uneven surfaces. Started to get annoying so i might take it to hanny's sometime to get it checked. Let us know what was the result when you check yours

Yeah its pretty annoying, it sounds like my car is struggling to steer but it really isnt. But i cant hear it when i have music on. But of course im going to try fix it anyways. And yeah ill let you guys know what the result is when i get it checked.
Thanks for helping
And sorry for my ignorance, and sorry i don't know how to put all the quotes in one post haha, ill learn.

-MuGen PoWer-
14-03-2010, 09:43 AM
I read on s2ki forums about this creaking problem and they advised to maybe check the hub splines (needs greasing), bearings, cv joints.

dougie_504
14-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Im sorry, what do you mean by boots.

A CV 'boot' is shaped like a concertina or accordion (the musical instruments), with rubber ribs allowing it to flex to the sides without splitting.

CONCERTINA
http://leeharps.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/07b-Concertina.jpg

The CV joint is at the end of your axle and is incorporated with steering/handling or something like that. The CV boot houses the C joint and is full of grease to stop the joint from rusting/wearing by means of lubrication.

Sometimes after several years the CV boot will split between two of the ribs, and then the grease will splatter out all over the inside of your rim (tell-tale sign of split CV boot).

It's generally alright to drive until you can get it fixed, but you need to be a little weary of the CV joint being potentially exposed to weather.

LIKE THIS:
http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/technical/transmission/images/08_cv_boot_finished.jpg

Nepolian
14-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Common issue with the honda electric power steering!

FYI....it doesn't use fluids of anykind and is purely operated electronically...hence name!

The creek is within the rack itself. If you look at the rack (situated in the middle) you can see the rack boots. What you do is;

1- Buy some spray lube from car shop.
2- Slide the steering boot off the rack (no need to completely remove) and steer lock to the side of the boot taken off.
3- Spray inside the rack thoroughly.
4- Slip boot back on and repeat on other side.

A few of the EP3 guys (supersteve & co) have done this with good result!