PDA

View Full Version : civic conversion

mytoycivic
25-11-2003, 07:44 PM
hey guys i have a 88 civic GL sedan (my bro wants the CRX not me). i was wondering how much it would cost for me to do a conversion to the B16a VTEC engine? i know you prob say to buy a CRX, but i wanna be different, so yeh. cheers guys :P
ps...HAS IT BEEN DONE????? :shock:

Setanta
25-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda did it in the late '80s ;)

The car is called a SiR :dance:

It's a relatively easy swap - once you fork out about 600 bucks for a set of Hasport or Place mounts. Then you need a EF8 CRX or EF9 CRX frontcut (or an Integra XSi cut). You need the '89-'90 gearbox because the Aussie ED Civic GL is a cable clutch and only the 1st gen SiRs and XSi came with this on the B16A. The replacement mounts are also a must for the ED -> EF conversion as the B16A runs different mounting points and the crossmembers don't bolt up to an ED. The mounts also locate the B16A lower down than in an EF8/9 which is a must as the EF bonnets etc are raised rather than the inverted ED ones to accomodate the B16A's extra height.

Add in a full exhaust including high-flow cat and muffler, electrician costs, a high pressure EFI fuel pump (you are going from carby to EFI) etc and you are looking at about 5-6 grand all up including the front cut. You need the cut for the ECU, wiring loom, instrument cluster, driveshafts, brakes etc.

Cheers

AUSVTEC
26-11-2003, 08:49 AM
YOU HAVE PM :D

mytoycivic
26-11-2003, 06:18 PM
hey setanta
thanks for your reply. shit it sounds like a lot of work but i want to do it. i wont get the means for about 9 months, but i wanna get all the info asap. where will i get a front cut from?????? for any of the cars. and i mean i dont want one that has a lot of kays on it either of course

Setanta
26-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Where are you located?

mytoycivic
27-11-2003, 08:28 PM
im in sydney...upper north shore
where you? what ride you got?

mytoycivic
29-11-2003, 07:34 PM
bump

mo
29-11-2003, 10:10 PM

look @ pete's sig!! he has a jdm ef9 SiR

-MuGen PoWer-
29-11-2003, 11:16 PM
I also have a civic but mine is a 92 EG shape SI model and i was thinking of gettin the b16a engine.
around how much would a b16a half cut cost? im located in syd

-MuGen PoWer-
29-11-2003, 11:17 PM
sorry to interupt ur thread 'mytoycivic'

Setanta
30-11-2003, 06:01 AM

/me points to Avatar and sig for ride, then points under Avatar for location :twisted:

Honbits, Hontoys, SSS Automotive off the top of my head may be able to hook you up with a front cut. If not there will also be interstate wreckers who can hook you up and freight. Be careful, some places can be shonky and not give you everything - just ask ALLMTR.

Setanta
30-11-2003, 06:05 AM
I also have a civic but mine is a 92 EG shape SI model and i was thinking of gettin the b16a engine.
around how much would a b16a half cut cost? im located in syd

Between 2 and 3 grand. Get the EG6 front-cut though, not the EF8/9 or DA6 as you need the hydroalic clutch. Getting a cut with the cable tranny will leave you with a major problem.