PDA

View Full Version : Help with sound system?

act_gooner
13-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey everybody,

So far I have a sony headunit, 260W splits 6" (just the 2) and tweekers that came in the same set. I also have a 1200W kenwood sub. I'm wondering if these speakers will be able to handle the sub without their own seperate amp? If not, does that mean I have to buy two amps? Or can I just have one for the speakers and not the sub?

Cheers

kevibumz
13-03-2010, 04:13 PM
u have a really powerful sub there so an amp is a must. and if u dont want ur subs to overpower the speakers and distortion, then i suggest an amp for ur set of speakers too. get a mono bloc for ur subbi and a 2 channel for ur speakers. if ur gonna get a pair of 6x9s for the rears then get a 4 channel amp and itll crank and it will be good and clear for the most part...might be better off getting a new deck. from my personal preferences and many reasons behind it... i hate sony decks.

hope that helps

Joe Bellissimo
13-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Model numbers please mate.

arverson
13-03-2010, 06:00 PM
sub will need an amp either way.

no such thing as speakers 'handling' subs.. theyre completely different drivers.. unless you meant will the sub overpower your splits? in that case lemme tell you this.. its not like your gonna be playing your sub to MAX volume EVERY single second your in the car right? just dont turn up the bass so loud if need be. balance em out.

you dont HAVE to get 2 seperate amps. you dont even HAVE to an amp for your splits but you'd limit their potential so im gonna suggest you amp them.

in a nutshell these are your options:
1. amp for sub(can be either mono or 2chan) & 2 chan for splits
2. 1 single 4channel amp for both sub & splits (2 channels for splits/other 2 combined for the sub)

might help if you give us the impedence of the sub (4ohm, 2ohm) and whether its svc or dvc (single/dual voice coils).

give us the RMS/CONTINUOUS power ratings too if you know em.

then a budget for amps

think thats all

act_gooner
13-03-2010, 09:21 PM
My headunit is from my old car, a lot of people don't like Sony but I was surprised about how good it was and really happy with it which is why I'm keeping it. In fact, I have been happy with everying Sony I've ever had in my car, but I heard they have lifted their game a lot in the last couple of years when it comes to car audio?

I can't give any info on the sub yet because I haven't got it yet, my mate is selling it to me when I see him next, but its brand new.

I have my own 6 by 9's, but I was trying to refrain from using them because I don't want an overload of bass coming from the system, should I consider putting them in aswel though? They are also sony's but a couple years old.

For a budget on the amps, I don't want to go too expensive, but I don't want anything too cheap in case its shithouse. I can give more info once I get this sub off my mate :) Thanks for the help so far!

2MPRS
13-03-2010, 10:24 PM
i wouldnt put the 6 by 9s in to be honest. ur gonna get to much bass and 2ndly u have to cut ur re parcel shelf to put them in so if u decide to go 6.5inch later there will be holes :)