PDA

View Full Version : something's wrong with my car.. no idea what it is..

rice_spirit
13-03-2010, 04:00 PM
My car is a DC2R with I/H/E and a power fc, not sure if this will help at all

A few days ago while driving my car suddenly started having little jerks every once in a while..

When i say jerks i mean, while you're driving and u quickly let go of the accelerator and the car kinda feels to have a little shake..

except this time the little shakes came even while accelerating. i didin't think much of it at the time..

Yesterday however, while i was standing still the car wouldn't idle properly. ie. the revs kept jumping up and down.. everything was normal after i started driving again and the car has been idling normally.

i don't even know if the two above events are related somehow or if they are even a problem (since the unstable idling only happened once. however, the little jerks are still there) but i just thought i might ask to make sure.

thanks in advance.

dougie_504
13-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Any stalling? Sometimes my idle go whacky and I'm pretty sure it's because my TB and IM need a good cleanup

Gio
13-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey mate. sound like you are having a problem that a lot of people have been having lately.

Check your air filter and make sure its not wet, if its all wet from the weather buy a new one.

Check the spark plugs and make sure they are not wet, give them a good clean up.

If that fails to fix the problem you can run an ECU test to get the problem code, http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218&highlight=ecu+code+check

WATAJK
13-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey mate. sound like you are having a problem that a lot of people have been having lately.

Check your air filter and make sure its not wet, if its all wet from the weather buy a new one.

Check the spark plugs and make sure they are not wet, give them a good clean up.

If that fails to fix the problem you can run an ECU test to get the problem code, http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218&highlight=ecu+code+check

I agree..

Change your spark plugs over, change your air filter over as the rain recently has probably stuffed your filter up...

Also as above said, run an ECU test.

Zilli
13-03-2010, 10:34 PM
rain and or water will not stuff up your air filter nor your plugs, unless your filter was completely and totally submerged in a friggin lake... dont waste you money on the air filter...

are you getting an ecu light at all? if not then it sounds like some sort of electrical or ignition problem...

rice_spirit
13-03-2010, 10:51 PM
rain and or water will not stuff up your air filter nor your plugs, unless your filter was completely and totally submerged in a friggin lake... dont waste you money on the air filter...

are you getting an ecu light at all? if not then it sounds like some sort of electrical or ignition problem...

sorry i'm REALLY noob at cars. what do you mean by an ecu light? how do i know if i'm getting it?

Zilli
13-03-2010, 11:01 PM
thats cool man. its a warning light on your dash, looks like this

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/10319046/htup_0807_01_z+honda_check_engine_light_aka_mil_ce l_or_idiot_light.jpg

NightKids
13-03-2010, 11:12 PM
It's your spark lead cables, happened to me before. Change it & you should be fine.

IEVAQ8
14-03-2010, 09:56 AM
have u changed anything since u have had it tuned, my mate had same issue with power fc, once he changed exhaust it was all over the place...

also have u doen a decent vtec run recently.....coz power fc is very sensative with the stock knock sensors which can also cause the jerking sensation....but then again the engine light would be on...

rice_spirit
14-03-2010, 09:43 PM
have u changed anything since u have had it tuned, my mate had same issue with power fc, once he changed exhaust it was all over the place...

also have u doen a decent vtec run recently.....coz power fc is very sensative with the stock knock sensors which can also cause the jerking sensation....but then again the engine light would be on...

nope there was no engine light..
haven't done anything to the car, from what i know the previous previous owner got the power fc and the previous owner (guy before me) might've had the knocking problem before with the engine light on and had it diagnosed by adrian and probably fixed it after..

regarding cleaning my throttle body or changing my spark lead cables or whatever is there a DIY anywhere on here? i'm really noob at this or can anyone help me clean/change whatever that needs to be done?

thanks in advance

fabian0
14-03-2010, 10:25 PM
O2 sensor?

GSi_PSi
15-03-2010, 12:35 AM
well the first thing sounds like your torque mounts. if they are gone and u tap the accerelator it will sorta jerk the front of ur car a bit...need replacing ...the second sounds like your idle valve.. was it cold or anything when it happend?

Limbo
15-03-2010, 09:52 PM
in the pfc there are diagnostic settings, you don't need to do an ECU test, read the manual and hand controller.

Its sounds like your loosing spark or not getting enough fuel.
Its really hard to figure out sometimes, i had my car diagnoised 3 times by a mechanic and after paying a few hundred dollars, it turned out to be a faulty dizzy.

First try changing the spark plugs and fuel filter.
Idle valve only is a problem at low rpm and idling. A clean will always be good. I always clean mine with throttle body cleaner and spray abit of WD40 in it to keep it oiled and not sticky from the throttle body cleaner
Might be something simple.
The other things it might be are;
- ignitor
- map sensor
- dizzy getting old
- fuel pump.

You gotta kinda try one at time and see if its the problem.
I ended up ordering a new distributor and it came with everything and solved all my problems. Its about $300 delivered from the states.

If your game to try i have a spare map sensor & fuel pump you can borrow to try, i'm in sydney west. I also run PFC in my Civic, so i know what your going through.
Then you pretty much only have the dizzy to replace.