PDA

View Full Version : Burning the clutch.

-Tom
13-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, I have used the search function!
Doesn't explain the process of burning the clutch.

So here's how it goes:
I'm driving slowly whilst navigating through a carpark.
I'm in second gear with the clutch just at friction point (aka. Not all the way up) and revving the engine at the same time so I go slowish.

Is this considered "burning the clutch"? And also, should I be using first gear for this situation?

OMG.JAI xD
13-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Depends how much youre revving. But by your explanation yes. It is.

In a carpark usually you cruise with the clutch out in 2nd and only depress the clutch if you need to stop. Then shift to 1st when you come to a complete stop or when youre going too slow for 2nd gear.

You should only slip the clutch in 1st gear on take off. And depending on the way you drive, between gears, minimal slip is acceptable for comfort. Really you should just be able to let the clutch out without slipping in gears for a perfect shift.

Your clutch wont last long if you keep slipping the clutch.

-Tom
13-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Ah right.
Thanks for the clear up. :)

Honwent
13-03-2010, 09:09 PM
'OMG.JAI xD' is on the money. Its also called 'riding the clutch'. Try to avoid it as i'll just wear the clutch drive plate out a lot quicker and shorten the life of the thrust bearing.

Side story - a know a guy at my School who actually failed his driving test because as he turned into side streets he would just leave it in 3rd and ride the clutch to keep the car going.

Limbo
15-03-2010, 10:02 PM
you'll smell burning if you ride the clutch too much