PDA

View Full Version : EG8 Engine Conversion

xclusive_eg8
14-03-2010, 05:54 PM
My D15B7 is near the end of its life, the throw out bearing is stuffed and head gasket is blown. So I think it would just be cheaper and more worthwhile to swap out the old d15 and in with something vtec.

But the problem is that I need an engine that would be quite easy to get re rego'd in my name and have insurance company still happy - yes I am a P plater. Also after something that would be cheap and easy to source and fit, give decent performance boost and have plenty aftermarket support.

Can you guys please reccomend an engine and gearbox combo to me.

Am keen to get a B16A (would get B16B if someone has a contact), but what are the gearboxes on these like??

Are these classed as a performance engine like b18c7?

TheSaint
14-03-2010, 05:57 PM
im looking at going down this road eventually with my EG8
but my D15b7 has done over 300k kms now and is still going strong + its getting a cam soon so im going to wait a while first

i was just going to get an EM1 B16 or something like that, they are fairly cheap these days and easy to get parts for etc

~Sp33~
14-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Are these classed as a performance engine like b18c7?

I dunno what the criteria is for an engine to be classed as 'performance'. But it has a high redline and 100hp/L.

The b16 i probably your best option, even if it is going to be expensive to install.

xclusive_eg8
14-03-2010, 08:34 PM
yeh b16 looks good....Iv been searching QT for whats classifed as a high performance vehicle and all I can find is all this stuff about turbos, anyone know a link??

~Sp33~
14-03-2010, 08:39 PM
High powered (performance) vehicles include those with:

* eight or more cylinders
* a turbo-charged or super-charged engine that is not diesel powered
* an engine that has a power output of more than 200 kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a modified engine

Where does it say the B18c7 is excluded?

xclusive_eg8
14-03-2010, 08:47 PM
well modified engine prettys much says engine conversion is out, and a B series engine conversion will need a mod plate due to no audm EG civics coming out with anything other than d series....aaah QT is gay

~Sp33~
14-03-2010, 08:56 PM
well modified engine prettys much says engine conversion is out, and a B series engine conversion will need a mod plate due to no audm EG civics coming out with anything other than d series....aaah QT is gay

I think you miss interpret the last point.

I'm assuming they're covering themselves, so that people don't modify an engine to breach the 3rd point.

From my recollection, engine swaps are permissible (mine was, when i was on my Provisionals) as long as the new engines displacement is within a certain percent of the previous engines capacity (I think it's around 10%~). I'm also pretty sure that the brakes will need to be upgraded to that of the same standard as the car the engine was removed from. Otherwise you wont be able to get the new motor engineered.

My EF had the engine swapped from a d16 SOHC to a d16 DOHC, an upgrade in HP which didn't raise any red flags at QT.

TheSaint
14-03-2010, 10:31 PM
so the rule is that if the car wasnt released with that particular engine in australia u need a plate

even if it was released with that engine in japan?

xclusive_eg8
14-03-2010, 10:51 PM
yep I think you can increase displacement by 15%... Did EG9 come out with B16A or B16B???

Cause if I do drop in a B16 I will have to upgrade front brakes to 162mm and rear disks as well though Im not 100% sure...

And yes TheSaint - eg6 and eg9's (only eg's with B series) wernt released in Australia thus you will need mod plate for engine conversion..Bit stupid really, but thats just the way it is I guess..

~Sp33~
14-03-2010, 10:58 PM
so the rule is that if the car wasnt released with that particular engine in australia u need a plate

even if it was released with that engine in japan?

:thumbsup:

yep I think you can increase displacement by 15%... Did EG9 come out with B16A or B16B???

B16a2

cheapdouchebag
14-03-2010, 11:38 PM
im assuming ur from VIC as well, the new p plater laws am i right?
the law is ambiguious in modifying terms, beause you could buy one thats already modified and get away with it.
i have heaps of friends who bought their first car with manual transmission , n generally almost all of them bought it with the previous owner instaling some sort of thing on their engine in replacement to the stock parts. u see heaps of p platers driving with loud exhausts etc. yet they dont get pulled over as long as its not a cop magnet like a skyline or a muzzadore haha.

u should be alright with a B16, have no fear its not THAT much of an improvement in performance but in our honda loving view, its one of the most favourite engines.

i got a quote from just-car insurance for third party including fire and theft, and i told them i had a integra type r engine inside, my per anum is only about $503. you should be alright, not too sure about comprehensive but ive only had my license for about 1 and a bit months LOLS.

im PRETTY sure u can still get a car rego'd with mods under your name as a P-plater. not like the fuzz is going to notice a civic is souped up unless ur full thrasing it where their hiding on highways.

b16's pretty good, engine conversion less than 5 grand at some good places if ur not doing it yourself.

im gunna do a full conversion when i have the money saved up, b18c for about 5 and a bit thousand inc engineers cert etc.

just be carefull what bolt ons u plan to put on when u start playing with your new engine, like sorta remember to box up the air filter so if they come n pull u over, it will be fine.

got a friend on his red p's for about 8 months now, had no problem with cops, and his is a 1.8L turbo audi.... the fluttering noise you can hear pretty well.

all the best on ur hopes :D could always go for d15b vtec haha :P

TheSaint
14-03-2010, 11:55 PM
im looking at going B16a2, was gona do all the work myself and put all the bolt on parts in with the engine should only cost around 3k ... i will need to find someone to get an eng cert ... but since i am studying eng at the moment i shouldnt be too hard lol

xclusive_eg8
15-03-2010, 07:33 AM
ok, so what sort of things will I need new to upgrade to B16A??

ecu, loom, driveshafts, mounts??

does OBD1 and OBD0 matter much?? and what is it?

[[d a n n y]]
15-03-2010, 08:41 AM
all the info that u need is on a sticky in the civic section

*best bet is to get a halfcut*

xclusive_eg8
15-03-2010, 12:13 PM
];2688574']all the info that u need is on a sticky in the civic section

*best bet is to get a halfcut*

I see you know about half cuts....Willing to price me up one??? Will also need the eg6 front brakes...so a EG6 half cut would be what I need..

Wow, just gota learn how to actually do an engine conversion now..The hard part.

ekcoupe
15-03-2010, 12:44 PM
heres some extra info (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14136) on a b16a conversion, helped me out im planning the same thing for mine.

xclusive_eg8
15-03-2010, 02:10 PM
does the b16a need to be made in 1995 to be able to go into my 1995 eg8??

bit confused about that.....btw anyone got the number for the QT guys that tell u what and what is not allowed in terms of modifications??

TheSaint
15-03-2010, 03:00 PM
needs to be 1995 or newer ... cant be from an older model

90LAN
15-03-2010, 03:27 PM
can be from same model so 91-95 model eg is fine
as it came from same chasis

ekcoupe
15-03-2010, 03:29 PM
can be from same model so 91-95 model eg is fine
as it came from same chasis

would that be the same as ej/ek 96-00

blabla
15-03-2010, 04:26 PM
b18c out of an intergra vtir is a better option less pedal slamming...

xclusive_eg8
15-03-2010, 10:55 PM
only choosing B16 due to cost and its only a 100mL increase in displacement so could be easyer to rego n so on...

What are DOCH D16's like to install?? That would be the cheapest option - same drive shafts n so on??

[[d a n n y]]
15-03-2010, 11:58 PM
same thing i guess
just motor in etc
i can get you a B16a halfcut
Pm Me if your serious about getting 1

xclusive_eg8
17-03-2010, 11:28 AM
ok new question

for a 1st timer doing engine conversion, what would be easyest option?? time dont matter, but my car normally sits outside so need engine + gearbox in in like one day, and wiring another day and so on...

tired atm sorry for the rumble

will13
17-03-2010, 01:46 PM
only choosing B16 due to cost and its only a 100mL increase in displacement so could be easyer to rego n so on...

What are DOCH D16's like to install?? That would be the cheapest option - same drive shafts n so on??

even easier to put a d16y1/8/a8 in. straight drop in, the only difference is the timing assembly and you won't even need to upgrade your brakes.

much cheaper too, you can pick up a d16 package for about $500 and you'll see about 20kw increase

xclusive_eg8
17-03-2010, 09:26 PM
yeah want some D series DOHC and Vtec action, i know it wont be major power but it would be easyest to get rego'd and insured on P plates...

anyone got one for sale??

~Sp33~
17-03-2010, 09:46 PM
yeah want some D series DOHC and Vtec action,

You have to chose one or the other, you wont get both.

90LAN
17-03-2010, 09:53 PM
sounds like you dont know much
so if i was you i wouldnt attempt to do the conversion yourself too many headaches and tearslol
just sell your car and get what u are really after

MikeyG
17-03-2010, 09:56 PM
what Lan meant to say was.. get a d series vtec and spray paint your car into blueish and sahve your door handles and get rare rota gt3 wheels and spray your bonnet black

eg5civic
17-03-2010, 10:06 PM
as for your engine conversion

i got a b16b in my car and i'm on my p's

car originally had a d16a8, due to less than 10% displacement increse they didnt even look twice at the fact the motor was vtec, the transport dude came out, checked the engine number went back inside signed it off and bobs your uncle

but if you had a 1.5L they might question it, she asked is it the same capacity and i went yep 1.6L dohc to 1.6L dohc *cough* vtec and they said its fine

will13
17-03-2010, 10:13 PM
yeah want some D series DOHC and Vtec action, i know it wont be major power but it would be easyest to get rego'd and insured on P plates...

anyone got one for sale??

I'll have a SOHC D16 vtec for sale in about 8 weeks...

xclusive_eg8
18-03-2010, 10:06 AM
well il probs just drop another d15b7 in the car and yeah sell it off...need a daily though, doing exact same engine swap should be easy well at least il get some experience from it, only thing im not confident doing is drive shafts, dunno why but it just looks and sounds hard..

xclusive_eg8
22-03-2010, 08:59 AM
ok Iv found another engine D16a8 engine and gearbox..

but engine has done 250xxx, so I will most probs do a rebuild on it while its out of the car..

are aftermarket - parts hard to source for this engine?? aiming for something a bit more supported unlike the d15

~Sp33~
22-03-2010, 10:53 AM
bisimoto does upgraded valve train and cams for it.

What do you have planned for the rebuild?

Hondah
23-03-2010, 12:39 PM
as for your engine conversion

i got a b16b in my car and i'm on my p's

car originally had a d16a8, due to less than 10% displacement increse they didnt even look twice at the fact the motor was vtec, the transport dude came out, checked the engine number went back inside signed it off and bobs your uncle

but if you had a 1.5L they might question it, she asked is it the same capacity and i went yep 1.6L dohc to 1.6L dohc *cough* vtec and they said its fine

My mate did the exact same thing. I <3 loopholes

xclusive_eg8
23-03-2010, 12:48 PM
My mate did the exact same thing. I <3 loopholes

what do you mean loopholes???

xclusive_eg8
23-03-2010, 12:51 PM
bisimoto does upgraded valve train and cams for it.

What do you have planned for the rebuild?

not 100% sure mate, reaserching atm....anyone make pistons and sleeves for d16a8??

might aswell strip and change almost everything..engine has to last me another 4 years till im completely off P plates..

btw does brakes need upgrade if I do drop in d16a8?? do si and gli civics have same front brakes?

markismaximus
23-03-2010, 01:58 PM
sounds like you dont know much
so if i was you i wouldnt attempt to do the conversion yourself too many headaches and tearslol

couldn't agree more....classic.

I'm also pretty sure everything in this thread has been covered before in terms of possible motor swaps. there is also a D16A8 motor build on here by missmotorsport I think. Searching is your friend.....

Hondah
23-03-2010, 03:47 PM
what do you mean loopholes???

By loopholes I mean there a legal ways (for P platers) to swap motors. As long as it doesn't require a Blue LA-1 mod plate..its legal for P's

~Sp33~
23-03-2010, 05:25 PM
not 100% sure mate, reaserching atm....anyone make pistons and sleeves for d16a8??

You plan on turbo'ing it?