PDA

View Full Version : do police cars scan number plates as they drive along?

insanesam
14-03-2010, 11:00 PM
had a convo with a mate at a pub. he assured me he got busted for driving with disqualified license because police scanned his number plates and pulled him over. Is this true? do police really have the ability to do this?

Premature Vtec
14-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Im pretty sure they do. but i cant confirm

bennjamin
14-03-2010, 11:03 PM
not literally scan.....with some sort of imaging device but scan with their own EYES.
If they want to , they can get your rego plate then type it into their computer , which instantly brings up EVERY detail about the car , its history and legal owner/driver

mrwillz
14-03-2010, 11:04 PM
yeh they sure do have the equipment to do so. I've seen the camera rig on top of driver side roof. scans your plate whilst behind u.

saw on news something about cops being able to scan even on parked cars for unpaid fines etc

e2xodus
14-03-2010, 11:20 PM
had a convo with a mate at a pub. he assured me he got busted for driving with disqualified license because police scanned his number plates and pulled him over. Is this true? do police really have the ability to do this?

I know for a fact that police normally randomly punch in the rego no. to their toughbook pc in the patrol car and within 2 - 3 seconds get the full details of your car, owners registered home and past or current violations.

They showed me how it works when i was at a 24 hours maccas and was chatting with them.

Hope this helps
Cheers

leeman
14-03-2010, 11:31 PM
yes they do it. Was talking to one dude when I was at court. He was driving his sister's car. Pulled up next to a cop car. As he took off the cop pulled behind him and then hit the sirens. Turns out the car was out of rego.

phelonius
14-03-2010, 11:59 PM
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/43216/sa-police-trialling-number-plate-recognition-cameras

insanesam
15-03-2010, 06:07 AM
that article was dated sept 2009 and they are trialling it (in south aus), is it mainstream yet?. do they do it in nsw?

cazz'shonda
15-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Can't see the worry if they do.
If you are driving on DQ'ed licence or expired rego, get off the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdwn:
You'd only drive DQ or expired reg if you are a loser.

tiksie
15-03-2010, 10:40 AM
not literally scan.....with some sort of imaging device but scan with their own EYES.
If they want to , they can get your rego plate then type it into their computer , which instantly brings up EVERY detail about the car , its history and legal owner/driver

Hey Ben,

They DO have cars that "literally scan" ;)

bennjamin
15-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Hey Ben,

They DO have cars that "literally scan" ;)

ooooo how futuristic. Like most - i thought that was the occasional side-of-the-road blitz with the camera and police officers sitting a few hundred meters away pulling over people. Which cars exactly ? Because i thought it was a trial period too :)

tiksie
15-03-2010, 11:00 AM
ooooo how futuristic. Like most - i thought that was the occasional side-of-the-road blitz with the camera and police officers sitting a few hundred meters away pulling over people. Which cars exactly ? Because i thought it was a trial period too :)

Not too sure.

But my grandfather was pulled over about 2 weeks ago because his rego just rant out 1 day before.

The way the copper found out was via the scanner mounted on his roof apparently, don't know the specifics, but he definitely didn't do it by eye :p

noel
15-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I'd say Bennjamin is on the money. I've seen NSW cops doing roadside speed checking, with a camera-like unit on a tripod, behind their car. That's the unit checking rego's, I'm told, and it can do the business, very quickly and have offenders side-of-the-road in a flash. Perhaps, since then, the units have been fitted on car roofs?

BTW, have you ever counted the number of police units used for roadside breath testing - amazing!

CHEERS
NOEL-

tOniies
15-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Police scan cars that look suss. I know this cause I was in the back of a police car, and while they were driving me home, they showed me how my car was suss, cause I didn't sign the transfer papers in time, and I was a L plater driving solo. LOL

knn
15-03-2010, 01:55 PM
it's not news that police regularly check regos of cars, my mates old man gets pulled over at least twice a week for driving his car (mate has lost his licence for about the 5th time..):)

p.s. http://www.themotorreport.com.au/29428/new-victoria-police-camera-catching-three-banned-drivers-each-hour

he-tec
15-03-2010, 09:29 PM
they can also tune into your conversation if their car is close enough to yours..

PlatinumVisuals
16-03-2010, 06:42 AM
they can also tune into your conversation if their car is close enough to yours..

Wouldn't that be a invasion of privacy ?

cazz'shonda
16-03-2010, 07:28 AM
:eek:
ROFL here. That's gold.
Actually they do get a little annoyed if you are on your mobile and give them the bird though.:p