PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump

beeza
16-03-2010, 03:45 PM
My car has 130k on it,the timing belt will be off soon and I am thinking of replacing the oil pump.

My question is,what damage do U risk to the engine if the oil pump goes?

A genuine :honda: one is $350

Car is 96EK1 d16y4.

:wave:

e240
16-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Your engine gets starved of oil and basically gets ferked. Exactly like running without oil.

Rather than buy a new oil pump, I'd look at replacing the oil Pump gears with the Toda gears, and then just put a couple of washers to increase pressure.

beeza
16-03-2010, 04:18 PM
If I do that,am I still running a risk using the old pump or doing that is the same as a new pump?

I'm getting my mechanic to do the work so it might be easier to get my hands on a new reconditioned one for $170 ish I guess.

I had a feeling it was detrimental if the oil pump goes,Thank U!

e240
16-03-2010, 04:22 PM
If I do that,am I still running a risk using the old pump or doing that is the same as a new pump?

I'm getting my mechanic to do the work so it might be easier to get my hands on a new reconditioned one for $170 ish I guess.

I had a feeling it was detrimental if the oil pump goes,Thank U!

to understand better, you need to look into the design of the Pump.
All it is inside the casing, is just an oil pump gear, and a spring (for pressure control).

So, once you change the gears, you basically have a "new" pump...

beeza
16-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Gotcha.I was looking at it today in the haynes manual but thought something was missing,damn,it's a simple design.

How long would it take to replace the gears?

Do TODA gears offer something better?

Thank U leo!

e240
16-03-2010, 04:43 PM
See here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78894

I think the OEM one is made of sintered metal and the Toda one's forged CNC.
Adrian from Toda can give you a better idea

beeza
16-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Cheers leo,mines a d though.

I'm not running any power,so maybe just a new recon one will be suffice.

e240
16-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Whats wrong with your Current one then?

beeza
16-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Nothing but it's got 130k's/14 years on it,that's enough reason to change it.And it's best to get a new one in there when the timing belt is off.

EDIT: Although,it is a simple design....

TODA AU
16-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Nothing but it's got 130k's/14 years on it,that's enough reason to change it.And it's best to get a new one in there when the timing belt is off.

Didn't your dad ever tell you not to try & fix what aint broke?

If you are paranoid & serious about maintenance,
Only use Genuine parts & replace the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, crank seal in front of oil pump, the water pump, all of the drive belts & possibly the crank pulley it'self.
But unless you actually have an oil pump issue, don't change the oil pump.
I can only see you causing an issue rather than preventing one.

EK1.6LCIV
17-03-2010, 07:59 AM
oil pumps can last for 100s of 1000s of kilometres Brett, mines at 255k, no signs of failure/leaks

Ive seen people get 500k miles from some in egs in America

replace it when it leaks, expensive exercise unless it's leaking (could get you one a lil cheaper than that if you want one tho :))

130k is crazy, Honda would turn you away if you were to bring it there as it's unheard of replacing unless it's leaking

wouldn't be changing the oil pressure unless you have a boosted d, and people seem to only run into problems when they aim for over 300hp and all they do os is bore the old one out on dseries.org

TheSaint
17-03-2010, 01:02 PM

haha mine has 300k kms on it and 17 years and it still works fine ... dont know what you are stressing about

Limbo
17-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Breeza - U got a D series motor mate, they cost less than the labour & oil pump!
Wat r u worried about?

Also i'm boosted with oil coolers and the stock pump works fine

beeza
18-03-2010, 11:03 AM
U guys are funny as!

I'm not worried,I'm not stressing lolzers,I just asked a question Yo!

Thanks so much for the replies,thanks adrian,that's really what I wanted to know is what should I change,seals and gaskets etc while the cam is being swapped in.

I bought a timing belt tensioner yesterday.Thanks adrian,I will get the other things needed.

Adrian,I snapped the keyway a year back and the whole crank pulley came off.We put another keyway in there but the keyway slot in goes in was bent out on the edges so the mechanic used some loctite/bonding stuff.I guess I want to know if I can just swap those affected parts over? It would be the crank pulley and what's on the other side of that,what the keyways 'joins' with.

EK1.6LCIV
18-03-2010, 01:17 PM
get 2nd hand crank pulley? shouldn't be too much, locktite lol my gosh

beeza
18-03-2010, 01:41 PM
+ the other part the keyway connects it too,that part is more important from memory.

Man,I've tracked it,drive it hard,no worries :)

Thanks for your post before too Ryan!!

beeza
20-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I think it's the crankshaft that the keyway connect too?