PDA

View Full Version : DC5R Whining noise when cold... help please

detasemen88
16-03-2010, 05:49 PM
My 02' DC5R has been making whining noise in the morning (only morning after sitting like 10-12 hours).

I suspect the Power Steering Pump... 2 weeks ago, the PS Fuid overspilled and it was foamy, and the PS Pump was making whining noise. after 5 mins the noise diappeared and the PS Fluid looks normal.

So after that i check every morning. it never overflowed anymore, but i saw that in the morning the fluid look kind of thicker and a bit foamy, and the PS pump was whining a bit, but after 5-10 mins all back to normal. the fluid is normal, the noise also disappear.

until these last 2 days... when i accelerate i can hear the engine make a whining noise, which gets louder with acceleration (on or off gear). same thing, after 5 mins of driving it disappear like nothing happen.

can anyone help me or give me any advise?? thanks a lot guys

6000rpm
16-03-2010, 06:45 PM
check drive belt tension and condition of belt itself.

detasemen88
16-03-2010, 07:55 PM
the belt next to the PS pump? that runs the alternator etc ??? thanks dude

WuackR
18-03-2010, 08:26 PM
:(

I have a similar issue, when turning on my car, i hear a loud 'whirrrring' noise coming somewhere in the enginge bay...

I've noticed that it only makes noise when im on idle and on first gear (taking off).

(Idle):
When I clutch in, it winds down but when i let go of the clutch it starts 'whirrrrring' again..

Any clue of what the issue may be ? or how to fix this ?

detasemen88
18-03-2010, 11:36 PM
WuackR....whirring sound could be from the intake i guess.... mine make that kind of light whirring sound too... i guess its because DC5R is a raw car, I would not be too worried about that. I always think that as the sound the air sucked in the intake/plenum.

WuackR
19-03-2010, 07:42 AM
WuackR....whirring sound could be from the intake i guess.... mine make that kind of light whirring sound too... i guess its because DC5R is a raw car, I would not be too worried about that. I always think that as the sound the air sucked in the intake/plenum.
Ah sweet. Thanks dude.
Yeh, gonna have a check later this evening to see if i can fix the issue..

cheers.

detasemen88
20-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Update: spent the whole day yesterday flushing the PS fluid, and cleaning the PS pump... the noise is gone, and back to normal

FR33K
24-03-2010, 01:06 PM

I have a similar issue, when turning on my car, i hear a loud 'whirrrring' noise coming somewhere in the enginge bay...

I've noticed that it only makes noise when im on idle and on first gear (taking off).

(Idle):
When I clutch in, it winds down but when i let go of the clutch it starts 'whirrrrring' again..

your issue sounds like your gbox bearing.. ive got that too
it will prob get louder as time goes by... needs to be changed when you change the clutch

FallenAngel
27-03-2010, 02:04 PM

(Idle):

If

Clutch in: Sound disappears
Clutch out: Whirring sound comes back.

Then your Input Shaft Bearing (ISB) is basically going or routed.
The actual bearing itself is $50 or so but you need to take the gbox out and open it (or pay someone to do it).

WuackR
30-03-2010, 07:18 PM
If

Clutch in: Sound disappears
Clutch out: Whirring sound comes back.

Then your Input Shaft Bearing (ISB) is basically going or routed.
The actual bearing itself is $50 or so but you need to take the gbox out and open it (or pay someone to do it).
ISB is located where exactly ?
I've checked the car on idle and opened my bonnet to check where the sound was coming from, sounded like right under my intake..

But now I think its getting more noticeable. =\
Car drives fine but the fact the noise is there, makes me worried.

I'll have it fixed on its major service.

Thanks!

P.S. Apologies to OP for taking over. Soz !

OMG.JAI xD
30-03-2010, 08:06 PM
ISB is located where exactly ?
I've checked the car on idle and opened my bonnet to check where the sound was coming from, sounded like right under my intake..

But now I think its getting more noticeable. =\
Car drives fine but the fact the noise is there, makes me worried.

I'll have it fixed on its major service.

Thanks!

P.S. Apologies to OP for taking over. Soz !

ISB, Input Shaft Bearing, is on your input shaft of your gearbox.
The gearbox is to be removed to get to it.
That whirring noise is not going to get any better. Depending on your driving style. It may last quiet some time. But it can collapse any moment.

And if that happens, there will be alot of damage. Especially if you were close to red line.