PDA

View Full Version : vtec and force induction

cheapdouchebag
17-03-2010, 07:49 PM
been hearing rumors that having a turbo kit is not ideal on vtec engines. vtec engines are not able to handle the extra stress a bolt on turbo kit gives off and the best thing to do to a vtec engine for a forced induction setup is a supercharger allowing the engine to live longer.

is this true? and what reasons for it being true or false.

DLO01
17-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Rumors are exactly that, rumors. Don't listen to them. Do your own research. Speak to people in the know. Honda engines are strong and fact is that Vtec engines respond excellent to any form of forced induction.

With a supercharger you are constantly on boost. More heat created, more stress.

Turbo, especially around the streets, your off boost, so your running like NA all the time, nice cool air supplied to engine. Only boost once the revs are up.

Either way you wanna go, I always say, its in the whole setup and quality of parts and people. Go cheap and your engine will most probably pop!

cheapdouchebag
17-03-2010, 09:07 PM
will the engine pop if i buy a too dear of a goodie? i mean, the engine is the foundation of course, if it hasnt got a good foundation for the setup to run, how is it supposed to last?, i havent got it yet but lets say an 'ok' b16a2 motor

DLO01
17-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Its an opened ended question, too many variables. I boosted my B16A2 with 220 000kms on the clock. Ran like a dream, no problems at all with the hell I gave it. An engine is only as good as its looked after/serviced etc. An engine with 50 000kms on it could be furked more than one that has 200 000kms on it.

Limbo
18-03-2010, 09:30 AM
just rem that supercharger or Turbo are essentiablly similar theories.
Both use forced induction to create more power.
So 10PSI on a super charger is like 10PSI on a turbo pretty much the same pressure on the engine.

I've run my car boosted for over 3 years now no issues at all. Just need to keep up maintaince.

stop listening to others. There is too much advice from people who haven't boosted their cars

Poping a motor comes down to the tuning. Most tuners can make almost any combo work to a certain extent.
It when you push a tuner to make more power beyond what they think is safe for you that you end up poping an engine

A-man
19-03-2010, 01:12 PM
i think the rumour is twisted. its not ideal because of the cam config of the vtec. the workshop around the corner from my house. has a eg (they only ever touch toyotas) so a honda is new to them and especially vtec. now them comparing a 4agte to a b18cr with a turbo kit. they were disapointed down low with the lag. however when it came on it sung.

there thereoy is and im of the same opionion, is because the vtec gives you more breathing in the higher rpm there is less gas getting let in and out with vtec off. however once its on, it opens the taps right up and then its heaps of fun.

now with a supercharger because it works off rpm, its going to be a even ramp up. it doesnt depend on exhaust gases etc. to get it to spin

i think thats where the rumour started. about vtec and turbo not ideal. now saying this the engine did make 330whp. on a stock engine.

and one thing they did say was its unbelieveable that a N/A designed engine LOVES boost.

but thats my 2 cents worth and correct me if im wrong

Limbo
19-03-2010, 01:19 PM
nope vtec only just give better cam config for low down power & high up power.

with Vtec motors you don't decomp the heads, that's where alot of people go wrong.
They were not designed to be low comp motors.

My old setup was virtually no lag, 2,000 rpm i got boost and full boost at 3,000 rpm. On a GT28r. Made 162kwatw

The 4ages you run smaller turbos that's the only reason it doesn't lag as much.

A-man
19-03-2010, 04:28 PM
the cam config restricts on low rpm. thats why it runs well at low rpm off vtec. if it restricts whats going in and out, then it also restricts the feed to the turbo

Limbo
19-03-2010, 07:29 PM
turbo usually doesn't kick in until about 3krpm so its not gonna matter.

just compare a D series with a B series, that's Vtec and no vtec power

Also look at the EVO, turbo Mivec engine. If the Mivec wasn't gona do anything they wouldn't bother bring it in with the evo9

eg5civic
19-03-2010, 07:43 PM
with the low comp not working on honda motors limbo, what if your looking for some big power with say a gt35r
would you buy aftermarket rods and pistons with maybe a 9.x compression ratio or?

DLO01
19-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Depends what your after, but yes......

With a stock engine, if you want to decompress you'd put a thicker gasket in and space the head further away. Which is not ideal regarding sqishing in to quench zones.

With a built engine you'd let the pistons do the decompressing and keep the head close to the deck. So the quench zones are still doing as they are intended to.

eg5civic
19-03-2010, 08:14 PM
just asking :D

Limbo
19-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Its not that low comp will not work. Its that its not as efficient especially under boost. If your gonna run a GT35 then start with a B18 motor.
9.x would be ok, but i wouldn't go lower cos it starts working against itself.

I rem Toda ran a HKS low comp gasket and ran a b16 at 16PSI making over 200kwatw, if i rem rightly

i made 171kwatw with 10PSI so you notice that the efficiency goes down abit with more boost & dropping the PSI. The only thing is that mine will prob not be able to take more boost as it is without decomp or further work

with the low comp not working on honda motors limbo, what if your looking for some big power with say a gt35r
would you buy aftermarket rods and pistons with maybe a 9.x compression ratio or?

Punisha00
20-03-2010, 07:47 PM
the thing ppl dont understand is that vtec is lik having a mild cam down low so its not a shitty idle and good on fuel and a big lump cam when you need it up top(have ur cake and eat it too).
If you dont want the mild cam and your just wanting power then get a toda vtec killer cam that way you dont have to worry abt the mild cam slowing your spool up.
but seriously i look at it as a good thing you get the good fuel eco down bottom and coz it revs so high it doesnt matter really. i would worry it it redlined at 6-6.5k rpm lik most il4.
well thats my 2 cents

trentd
14-04-2010, 09:27 AM
there is nothing wrong with doing it. if you want a reliable daily just do it right.
And go for the hondata s300 ;) helped me out a lot.