PDA

View Full Version : Stock sound system? ( cu2 )

will2k
19-03-2010, 08:35 AM
I tried searching but couldnt find anything.

Just wondering what the stock sound system on the cu2's is like? The brochure says that all 3 models have 10 speakers so im assuming they are the same?

My SV6 at the moment has 7 speakers and for a stock system isn't too bad but just wondering is the CU2 has good speakers for a stock setup. I dont listen to music too loud or worry about bass too much.

I will be spending a fair bit on rims, eibachs and cai so i wont have a budget for a sound system so im hoping they are decent. If they are even slightly better than my SV6 then i should be happy for some time.

Any of you guys upgraded the sound systems?

89superstage
19-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi,
The stock sound system on the CU2, isnt bad at all.
My opinion is, at near full volume:
-The tweets and mids deliver clear tones, with negligable distortion.
-Bass is powerful and reproduces lows, rather well,
the sub, while tiny, does a good job,
mine gets a work out each time I drive it!
-Lack of an equaliser, doesnt allow you to shape your music.

single disc in the base model
6-cd changer in the rest, is about the only difference, between the models.

Mine doesnt have a USB port, but I believe the newer ones do (MY10)

If you're not too particular about how your music sounds, I think you'll like it.

Best have a listen to one though, before you decide!

this thread will also have worthwhile info for you...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109610&highlight=cu2+audio

cheers,
Des

limleong
19-03-2010, 09:27 AM
The CU2 or CW2 (Tourer Wagon) has a Panasonic sound system which is great. It is unfortunate that in NZ/AU we did not get the ELS/Panasonic surround sound system that the US TSX got. The ELS/Panasonic has won multiple awards for being the best sound system in car beating even the Lexus's Mark Levingson system

http://www.audioworld.com/news/0403/15.acura.els.audio.challenge.shtml

http://www.laaudiofile.com/newcar.html

The NZ/AU version is still premium Panasonic but it is not ELS/Panasonic.

One thing is to watch for is the MY09 model CU2/CW2 has poor quality factory installed speakers. It is a well known problem with TSX/Accord Euro. My CW2 has 3 speakers replaced within 7 weeks of ownership. Knock on woods that more speakers are not going to fail soon.

This is a real shame given the supposing premium audio system in the Euro Accord.

will2k
19-03-2010, 10:54 AM
thanks for the replies guys, i think i will be more than happy with the sound by the looks of it :D

Im not very fussy and it sounds way better than most stock setups ( like my sv6 for eg ) so it shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup:

denot
19-03-2010, 11:08 AM
^^ Just a correction... in Australia we get 6 CD changers on the standard model as well...

also, one of my speaker got replaced on 1st service. the overall performance was ok. sub was fine, but I might upgrade the speakers in the future for better quality

89superstage
19-03-2010, 11:11 AM
^^ Just a correction... in Australia we get 6 CD changers on the standard model as well...

Note to self...you live in New Zealand....:)

lingamair
20-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Note to self...you live in New Zealand....:)

Mine is an Aug2008 NZ-base model "Euro-S", and it has 6 disc changer system.

Type R Positive
20-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm happy with my stock sound system. You can crank it and it stays pretty clear.
The sub woofer is a nice touch, as is the center speaker. I always thought those center speakers were a gimmick, but it genuinely kicks arse!

2002 TeGgY
20-05-2010, 02:00 PM
sorry to bring an old thread back....but my brother has a CU2 and he has had to get honda to replace his speaker 8 times! everytime they change em they keep blowing up...just wondering if this is another issue with the CU2...or is it just unique to my brother's car?

Type R Positive
20-05-2010, 04:40 PM
sorry to bring an old thread back....but my brother has a CU2 and he has had to get honda to replace his speaker 8 times! everytime they change em they keep blowing up...just wondering if this is another issue with the CU2...or is it just unique to my brother's car?8 times?
I think there's some fault current going on there.....

limleong
21-05-2010, 06:55 AM
sorry to bring an old thread back....but my brother has a CU2 and he has had to get honda to replace his speaker 8 times! everytime they change em they keep blowing up...just wondering if this is another issue with the CU2...or is it just unique to my brother's car?

I believe root cause is poor quality speakers. I have 3 speakers replaced on mine and the repalcement speakers are going fine. Knock on wood.

8 replacement speakers is on the extreme end but not unheard off for CU2. A few people in the TSX forum in the US has reported 5 - 6 speakers repalcement.

I have owned various Honda cars for 25+ plus year. This is the first time I get multiple speaker failures on Honda. I would have thought speakers are not something that can fail easily.

89superstage
21-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Limelong,
Do you crank your music (volume) up while in the car to the max or near, or use moderate volume, generally?
and also how did you realize your speakers were blown?
With so many in there, I'm afraid I may miss one, unless I put my ear to each one......

denot
21-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Limelong,
Do you crank your music (volume) up while in the car to the max or near, or use moderate volume, generally?
With so many in there, I'm afraid I may miss one, unless I put my ear to each one......
LOL! seriously you will be able to tell when one of the speaker is dead. I thought I have in-sensitive ears as well, but when one of the speaker on my CU2 dead last time, I can tell straight away...

limleong
21-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Limelong,

I listen to music at level 9/10. I have never gone above level 12 for listening to music. Here lies the intrigue, it must be really poor quality speaker to have it blown at such low level.

When a speaker is blown, it is fairly obvious to detect. A good test is to play a CD with lot of bass, you can hear the broken sound immediately. You could also have your ear close to the speaker to hear the broken sound.

89superstage
21-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I'll take your word for it Denot, it would be a challenge crawling around the back listening to each one, ha ha...

89superstage
21-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Cheers Lim.

SaintJapan
19-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I had my speakers changed twice, on the third run it blew again, so i've changed all speakers with focal polyglass coaxs (all the doors and rear parcel shelf). Also i have sound deadened the rear parcel.
you can crank bass up to +6 and have it loud, no more distortion and much better clarity. Its worth it. Just to let you guys know, its a heck of a job!!

praja6
19-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I am happy with the 6 stack CD system in my Base model Euro CU2
Does anyone knows which company makes the sound system/speakers for the CU2.. Such as Pioneer, sony...

Thanks

Dilan
19-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I believe that it is a Panasonic system of some sort.

I am happy with the 6 stack CD system in my Base model Euro CU2
Does anyone knows which company makes the sound system/speakers for the CU2.. Such as Pioneer, sony...

Thanks

limleong
19-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I had my speakers changed twice, on the third run it blew again, so i've changed all speakers with focal polyglass coaxs (all the doors and rear parcel shelf). Also i have sound deadened the rear parcel.
you can crank bass up to +6 and have it loud, no more distortion and much better clarity. Its worth it. Just to let you guys know, its a heck of a job!!

I admire your courage to change all speakers to another brand :D

For me I am holding Honda liable for the defect at least within the warranty period. After all I paid good money for a top of line model which is close to an entry level premium space.

The sound put out by the Panasonic sound system/speakers is actually quite good. In fact the US TSX which has the surround ELS system has won many awards beating the Mark Levinston system in Lexus. Pity the speakers are so poorly made.

praja6
19-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I believe that it is a Panasonic system of some sort.

Ah panasonic... How did you find out its panasonic, does it say anywhere...hmmm at my home most home entertainment systems are panasonic including plasma, home theatre etc etc...Its a reliable and not bad unit..but panasonic is not that best for sound compare with bose..I read in mazda luxuary model 6 comes with Bose premium sound system...WHy can't honda put Bose one.....

Type R Positive
20-06-2010, 09:27 AM
the yanks say the speakers are alpine.

denot
21-06-2010, 10:17 AM
the speakers n sub are alpine, the HU is panasonic

89superstage
02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi again,
Does anyone know if the stock CU2 MY08 audio systems can be fitted with a USB connector? Does the unit allow it or have the necessary ports/plugs? what I'm after is playing music off a flash drive. Not too keen on spending (NZ)$400+ getting Honda to do it.

Thanks
Des

Kwangstuhhh
02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
the speakers n sub are alpine, the HU is panasonic
Yeh I've heard that too! Pretty good if you ask me. When I met up with albii, nesterjester and I think even MR_LATE, they've already had at least 2 speakers replaced, I can't remember who has had all 4 replaced too...Pretty disappointing! But at least they're covered by Honda seeing it seems to be an on going issue with the CU2s!