PDA

View Full Version : [BNE]is it still legal for turning on fog light?

billysch
20-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi there,
heard from someone that fog light is no longer avaliabe in brisbane
is that true?
thanks man

YBJLS4
20-03-2010, 11:45 PM
it is if its not foggy. its a defect, depends on the cop aswell tho.

u can only use them when its actually foggy

billysch
21-03-2010, 02:35 AM
alrite, thanks man~

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-03-2010, 07:25 AM
its a 1 point and 40ish dollar fine according to the cop shop I was at last week

ajbm
21-03-2010, 10:02 AM
218–1 NSW rule: using lights on vehicles generally

(cf RRR, cl 55)

The driver of a vehicle must not:
(a) use any fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility,

from
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/subordleg+179+2008+pt.13-div.1+0+N

DLO01
21-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Its so annoying when people put fog lights on in clear weather. The ones I hate most are the single fog lights in the rear bumper like Excels. So bright and annoying, most have them on all the time.

ajbm
21-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I sometimes use my yellow fogies at night driving, just coz I like the JDM look, but always turn them off when I don't need them. Don't want to attract popo's attention!

dahondr98
21-03-2010, 10:22 PM
The law was changed recently (January?) nationwide to make it an offence to use fog lights when the weather is clear. That's brought Australia into line with international regulations - it's been against the law in NZ, all of Europe, and many other countries for years. From the dickheads I see driving around still with them on (including on sunny days!), a lot of people are either unaware of the new law, or think it doesn't apply to them.:thumbdwn:

4age8u
22-03-2010, 09:38 AM
what about driving light? I have yellow jdm foggies on my eg bright as hell only use them when its raining hard..foggy in brisbane thats like once a year lulz

Limbo
22-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I thought this was always the case. my friend got booked for it about 8 yrs ago driving us to the city

The law was changed recently (January?) nationwide to make it an offence to use fog lights when the weather is clear. That's brought Australia into line with international regulations - it's been against the law in NZ, all of Europe, and many other countries for years. From the dickheads I see driving around still with them on (including on sunny days!), a lot of people are either unaware of the new law, or think it doesn't apply to them.:thumbdwn:

dahondr98
23-03-2010, 05:11 AM
I thought this was always the case. my friend got booked for it about 8 yrs ago driving us to the city

Different police forces used their discretion to book motorists who they thought were dazzling other motorists by using fog lights, but there were no specific regulations which mentioned when you could use them, and when you couldn’t, before this year. I think that in certain states such as NSW the police may have been more strict. It’s really only in the last 10-15 years that fog lights have been introduced as standard equipment on many cars from the factory, which has caused many people to use them to augment their headlights, rather than in fog.

Here in Tassie, I heard a senior policeman late last year who conducted regular road safety talkback sessions on ABC radio, say that the state and territory transport ministers had been discussing the problem of people using fog lights in clear conditions, with a view to introducing new laws, and they would be introduced soon. Hey presto, at the beginning of the year, laws specifically mentioning how fog lights can be used were introduced here, along with plenty of other traffic law changes. Rupert Murdoch’s local Hobart newspaper, the Mercury, covered the changes in detail, and the RACT magazine also had info about them. Apparently they were introduced nationally at the same time.

dahondr98
23-03-2010, 06:09 AM
what about driving light? I have yellow jdm foggies on my eg bright as hell only use them when its raining hard..foggy in brisbane thats like once a year lulz

Driving lights have to be used only with high beam, and must switch off when you dip your lights - that is mentioned in the laws, and it's been there for years. Yellow fog lights aren't as dazzling as clear ones, and in heavy rain you may be able to get away with it if a cop sees you.

Most of the time here (Hobart) it's usually only foggy on winter mornings, and it's not very thick, but I remember about 20 years ago driving in a work vehicle to a work building near the bank of the Derwent River, and as the fog used to lie in the valley, I had the headlights on, and left them on, flattening the battery. I did try to roll start it, but as the street was just a gentle slope, I couldn't get enough speed up before I got to an intersection. Being with a (very) large company, I phoned up the local company mechanical section, and, to my embarrassment, they sent 2 mechanics out to jump start the car, one of whom was a good looking babe of about 19, who was an apprentice mechanic, who found the situation rather amusing!:eek:

RandyRhydah
23-03-2010, 07:33 AM
i don't see a problem with people with fog lights on during the day? although I haven't been confronted with really bright blinding ones that some people complain about. driving my mums tiburon with stock fog lights i always have them on driving on the highway rain or shine just to make it a bit more visible... not 1 time have i been blinded by a cars fog lights anywhere near as bad as those ****ing new audi with the bright white led parkers that they all drive around with... they are blinding during the day. but then again audi are old rich persons cars and cops would let them get away with murder... an 18 year old driving a civic on the other hand....

mugeneration
23-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Some are brighter than others. If you start trying to book on only what is bright and what isnt it becomes to arbitrary, so its a blanket (and sensible) rule that theyre not to be on in clear weather. I know people who drive with them on all the time, even during the day.

Most driving lights (NOT foggies) have a switch that turns them on and off, but are also hooked up to the high beams so theyre only on when you have your high beams on. At least this is the easiest and proper way to do it.

Youre not talking about the foggies on the audis, youre talking about the parkers. I like them because theyre bright. Parkers are too dull to even do anything in most cases, making them pretty much useless, but you still legally have to have working ones in I believe.

I do agree with you though that the 4wd ones can be blinding, as they shine right through your back window, but then that goes the same with the headlights of any 4wd.

m3ntAL_l2
23-03-2010, 10:11 AM
what if i have really yellow bulbs for headlights... they still tell u off?

mugeneration
23-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Hmm thatd probably come down to the cop. I know they HATE blue headlights, but I see a lot of bombodores driving around with really yellow headlights (maybe due to ageing in the bulb/plastic, but anyway) and they seem to do just fine?

I guess as long as theyre not 'dazzling' you should be fine.

dahondr98
23-03-2010, 09:29 PM
i don't see a problem with people with fog lights on during the day?

They’re fog lights, not sunny day lights. If you want to make the car more visible, turn the headlights on. There’s a basic rule of advanced driving, which states, “When you need your wipers, switch your headlights on, so other drivers see you.” Seeing that your low beam headlights are specifically created with a beam shape towards the left of the road, to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, they’ll be a lot safer, particularly at night, when shining a bright light at other drivers reduces their night vision for some time afterwards. It could be you they crash into if they’re temporarily dazzled, which is why it’s now illegal to drive with fog lights in clear conditions; lights which have a beam specifically shaped to be as wide as possible, which leads to problems with oncoming traffic in clear conditions.

although I haven't been confronted with really bright blinding ones that some people complain about. driving my mums tiburon with stock fog lights i always have them on driving on the highway rain or shine just to make it a bit more visible... not 1 time have i been blinded by a cars fog lights anywhere near as bad as those ****ing new audi with the bright white led parkers that they all drive around with... they are blinding during the day. but then again audi are old rich persons cars and cops would let them get away with murder... an 18 year old driving a civic on the other hand....

What about an 18 year old mate of yours driving his Mum’s Audi?:)

6thgear
25-03-2010, 12:25 AM
wonder if cops ever get confused thinking parkers on a dc2 for example are driving lights?

aero
27-03-2010, 01:41 AM
lol i was not aware of this. im always driving with my foglights on. they help me at night. my normal headlights seem really dim. been meaning to change them to a different brand